eXistenZ

Pros:
-Intriguing multi-layer plot
-Great acting
-Suspenseful all the way to the end

Cons:
-Lack of any visual effects
-Concept is not too original

Remember one of the Star Trek: Next Generation episodes where the premise was being trapped in a holodeck within a holodeck? The concept is almost the same. eXistenZ involves gamers that dig deeper and deeper into layers of non-reality and the game's eventual goal is to find out what exactly is real and what isn't real. This "question reality" plot is certainly no longer original since Star Trek and some other films have already explored it (i.e Matrix), but when this plot is executed well, it can bring a lot of enjoyment through this boggling of the mind. eXistenZ executed its plot soundly and remarkably. I was disappointed by the lack of visual effects. It's not the most beautiful film you will see. However the plot, great acting, and suspense all make up for it.

Grade: B

Grading Scale:
A = Outstanding and Innovative. A suspenseful and thought-provoking movie with originality and great direction.
B = Good. Nothing spectacular but otherwise a good, solid movie.
C = Fair. An average, lackluster movie that has some redeeming values.
D = Poorly done movie with major flaws in plot and direction. The story is usually confusing or uninteresting. Not recommended.
F = Completely Worthless.
Posted in Movie Reviews
Comments 2 Email Blog Entry
Total Comments 2

Comments

Old
I haven't seen this, but since I've agreed with the other movie reviews you've made, I'll add this to my list.
Old
Cool. When you watch it, tell me what you think.

Recent Blog Entries by icest0rm