Pros:
-A unique and though-provoking plot
-Artistic set designs
-Remarkably suspenseful
-Good acting
-Interesting dialogue and character development
-Paranoiac atmosphere

No cons!

Imagine being suddenly awakened in a claustrophobic cell without knowing how or why you got there. Without any food or water, the only objective you have is to escape. But how can you sustain your sanity with only a fews days to live? With this premise, you get a totally unpredictable and intense movie. Cube is simply a visual masterpiece and what I consider a science-fiction film breakthrough. With a unique and thought-provoking plot plus a paranoiac atmosphere, the Cube achieves incomparable heights of suspense. The Cube has many underlying themes; one of which is how the Cube exposes the characters to the hostile forces of technology and how humans ultimately fear technology. Even if you donít see many of the movieís hidden messages, the Cube can still give you pure cinematic enjoyment. This film is an instant classic in my book.

Grade: A

Grading Scale:
A = Outstanding and Innovative. A suspenseful and thought-provoking movie with originality and great direction.
B = Good. Nothing spectacular but otherwise a good, solid movie.
C = Fair. An average, lackluster movie that has some redeeming values.
D = Poorly done movie with major flaws in plot and direction. The story is usually confusing or uninteresting. Not recommended.
F = Completely Worthless.
Posted in Movie Reviews
Comments 7 Email Blog Entry
Total Comments 7

Comments

Old
This was one of my favorite movies in High School. I love the creativity of the killing machines. The shock of the first one still gets me. Hypercube was OK, but a disappointment in comparison, especially the end (you know what I mean if you've seen it.)
Old
Those death traps were definitely very creative! Cube 2: Hypercube was a major disappointment for me. It just didn't have the same style. Cube Zero was much better, but still nowhere close to the original.
Old
This movie freaked me out the first time I saw it. Really made me think about the possibility of it happening right now, or at least something similar to it. I wonder what kind of insights into the human mind could be gleaned from observing people in an experiement/trap such as the Cube.
Old

Arg!

Hey I love this movie. I can't seem to get my hands on a copy of it. I would like it just to watch once at least if I can't own it, but I can't find it anywhere nearby and I don't have transportation. My betrothed has only seen the second one which doesn't even compare. They don't have it to rent at the movie store and I am not gunna shell out 30 bucks at a SunCoast. I'm a believer in free media - lock me up or sue me or whatever - art should be for the masses. So yeah, good movie - if you know a place to get it cheap lemme know, k?

Inkling
question everything

P.S. Speaking of movies freaking people out, I still carry around my ticket stub from "The One." Not that it was the best movie, but the whole idea made my head spin. Or maybe that was all the rum when I was 15. Someday I'll watch it again and remember why it scared me.
Updated 06-18-2008 at 11:33 PM by Inkling (forgot something)
Old
If you're not interested in buying the DVD online (it's only about $10 at Amazon.com), then try searching for a torrent. In google type "cube torrent" and you can try to download the movie. A warning: depending on your online connection, it could take awhile downloading the entire movie.

"The One" was definitely a great movie too!
Old

Ty

Thanks for the advice. Do I need a certain client for torrents?
Old
Yes, you need a bittorrent client.

Try http://www.bittorrent.com/download or
http://www.utorrent.com/

Recent Blog Entries by icest0rm