FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Blogs > kyman

Greetings!

Rate this Entry

Sophie Scholl

Posted 01-08-2008 at 05:49 AM by kyman

This movie looked interesting, I picked it up a while back.

It is a story about a young student named Sophie Scholl, member of an organization called The White Rose, an anti-nazi group dedicated to undermining nazi authority and ideology.

She and two other members are caught distributing leaflets which would rally the citizens of Germany together, disempowering the nazi regime, which by this point rests only upon deception and force.

I think it is interesting that Sophie's main source of strength is God. But she doesn't have a dogmatic view, and her view could easily be interpreted in secular terms. During the movie she has many deep conversations with her captors, who are not void of humanity, giving us a context in which to explore the basis of Sophie's ideas, why she is remembered, and how her perspective could relate to our world today. She argues that laws do not extend from man's authority but from man's conscience, which is dynamic and alive.

No matter how you feel about the concept of God, there are many beautiful things to learn about in this movie. It is humbling and inspiring.

Aside from the brutality and selflessness of this story, there is something more revealing in this film. We are invited to know Sophie Scholl, to learn of her passion and source of strength. Sophie becomes a living representation of the core of humanity, her personality so surrendered to the heart of man. In Sophie, we see the best of humanity emerging against the unstoppable current of darkness, corruption, and fear, struggling to impact itself on the whole, standing firm against every logical reason to bend.

In the end, we must form our own conclusions as to why she does not bend and what it means to be human.

If anyone happens to see this movie, I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.
Total Comments 1

Comments

Old
"Aside from the...selflessness of this story". I highly doubt it's selflessness.

I think it was either The Budda or The Dalai Lama who said that the most selfish person is the most altruistic, and that's because if that selfish person helps someone, it's by accident and was completely unintentional.

She's not selfless because she *wants* to help people, and that makes her selfish. Of course, this doesn't mean that she isn't a good person, it just means that she is selfish.

Recent Blog Entries by kyman