FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Blogs > The Emu's Roost

Greetings!

Philosophy, computers, plumage.
Rate this Entry

Gonzo game design

Posted 02-26-2008 at 05:01 PM by Dromiceius
God invented physics for one very simple reason: so that videogame programmers could create particle systems, the almighty Gravity Gun, and other more or less indispensable toys for people who know how to make their own fun.

Jumping through hoops doesn't work for all of us. Some prefer to be challenged in the abstract.

Apropos, behold now the many wonders of putting shit in a microwave.

I believe we have an emoticon for times like these...

"Here was fire, real fire, to play with, and that was even better than messing with water, or remodelling the plastic surface of the earth. Of all the toys the world provides for right-minded persons, the original elements rank easily the first."

--Kenneth Grahame, "Dream Days"
Posted in Computers
Comments 4 Email Blog Entry
Total Comments 4

Comments

Old
So you have a taste for gory violent video games? Yuck!!!!!!!

You know, I thought you might be scary! Maybe I was right.

And it seems I'm not the only one!! With my special senser for coming across people's most incriminating-sounding posts, I happened upon a beauty from You yesterday while looking for something totally different from someone else! It was in a thread Yawn started nearly two years ago called "Violent behaviour". You said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromiceius
Just yesterday I walked by two thin guys on the sidewalk. One of them guy stepped IN FRONT OF A MOVING SUV to get out of my way.
Scary, clearly!

And to illustrate your apparent scariness further, only a few pages later in that thread, we have,

Quote:
Anyone have any good survival tips I should know about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromiceius
The most important tip: Beware of Dromiceius!
Yikes!
Old
I'm even scarier since I stopped shaving.

Oh, but this post is hardly about violent games. Nor is it about scary games like Quake, which are fun because of how psychologically engaging they are, rather than gory.

And while Quake is like being in an H.P. Lovecraft story AND confers upon the player a kind of spatial awareness you can't get even at self-defense seminars, I'm not actually interested in making another Quake. Maybe a nice little Sumotori...

Edit: And you missed a really good post of mine from as many as four years ago where I talk about my dealings with a pair of high school bullies. I can't find it now, but what happened was, I let them close in behind me in the halls one day, knowing they'd try to give me a wedgie. Obviously, I did this so that I could attack them in self-defense.

...Which I did. With gusto.
Old

Re :

Hi ,
Sharing and identifying with others who experience the same struggles and
painful daily choices of not returning to old behaviours is the hallmark and
essence of fellowship. Come to share with us, be part of our community http://apps.facebook.com/chat_fb_app
Old
Yeah, he really needs to make sure he doesn't return to such scary behaviour, doesn't he.

Recent Blog Entries by Dromiceius