FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Blogs > The Emu's Roost

Greetings!

Philosophy, computers, plumage.
Computers Game/software ideas, non-stop raving about the original Quake, perhaps some betaware.
Old

I'm in ur toobz, hidin' ur spam.

Posted 10-24-2008 at 03:39 PM by Dromiceius
I know I'm hardly the only person who hates Youtube comments. I am, however, the first person I know of to implement the particular solution I wanted to try.

I wrote a GreaseMonkey script, mainly to see how well I could isolate the signal from the noise. My method was to filter out internet-isms, lol-speak, and a few words that tend to occur in e-penis duels.

The code itself isn't complicated. It matches every comment against a bunch of regular expressions,...
Administrator
Posted in Computers
Old

Fun with AutoHotkey

Posted 09-14-2008 at 03:27 PM by Dromiceius
Random bit of trivia: I don't use a mouse anymore. I have a mouse- it sits on one of the stacks of CDs on the shelf above my monitor. The batteries died in... March, I think, and I never bothered to replace them because I've replaced the mouse itself with an elaborate system of hotkeys.

I'm not exactly sure how this system evolved. It started when I began using AutoHotkey to set up some shortcuts. Each weekend I'd sit down and cook up an even bigger hack than the week before, and...
Administrator
Posted in Computers
Old

Six languages...

Posted 06-02-2008 at 04:42 PM by Dromiceius
It was suggested on a blog whose name I can't remember that a professional developer should learn at least six programming languages. Reading this, it struck me all of a sudden that I've been picking at the buffet without really committing to anything, as of late. So to take six and focus on them exclusively seems like a good idea.

There are, however, a few points to keep in mind when deciding this sort of thing.

"A language that doesn't affect the way you think...
Administrator
Posted in Computers
Old

Still more taffing

Posted 04-02-2008 at 03:42 AM by Dromiceius
All had gone smoothly up until I reached the pirate ship. I had nearly cleared out the area earlier, leaving only one pirate standing watch. This fellow, I had to make sport of.

Blackjack raised, I charged up the gangway like a rhinoceros, but darted sidelong so I could to dance around the pirate, delivering one swat after another to the back of his head. He tried to turn to face me by making short, clumsy strides, emitting alternating taunts of "you'll have to do better than...
Administrator
Posted in Computers
Old

WHO HAS DONE THIS!?

Posted 04-02-2008 at 12:15 AM by Dromiceius
I've installed and begun playing Thief 2. This brings back memories, even though I remember very little about the game itself. Richard Hatch had just won the first survivor... well, not necessarily good memories. The important thing, though, is that this game is from a newer version of the Dark Engine, yet much more screwed up than System Shock 2, which I am almost certain came before Thief 2. Let me recap what's happened so far.

Level 2: shipping and receiving. I was on the...
Administrator
Posted in Computers