FrostCloud Forums

FrostCloud Forums (http://www.frostcloud.com/forum/index.php)
-   Member Interviews (http://www.frostcloud.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Interview with Symptom777 (http://www.frostcloud.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4965)

kyman 07-06-2005 05:12 PM

Interview with Symptom777
 
Whenever your ready...

Symptom777 07-06-2005 05:20 PM

um...............
ok, now then

kyman 07-06-2005 05:28 PM

Tell us a little bit about yourself. The sides of you which you may not present to Frostcloud. For example, what kind of car do you drive, what's your favorite tv show, and where you born/currently live?

Symptom777 07-07-2005 11:48 AM

Well, Kyman - first off I refer everyone to my profile, which has been there since day one suprisingly - many people seem to make asumptions without even checking this out, so for those who don't know about this here it is:
Quote:

Biography: Born Africa 1960, to UK 1961, schooled, university - Elec Eng 1984, electronic engineer, married 1987, children (D - 1988, S - 1989), emigrated to NL 1992, recruitment, divorced 2002, unemployed 2004, now re-employed, ho hum.
Location: Netherlands
Interests: cosmology, motorcycles, mentality, analogue electronics,
Occupation: Being smarter than you
All of this is true, except possibly the last bit (although on average...) :wink2:

I was born in Nigeria, my father was a teacher, and went over there when it was still part of the empire (ha!) to teach English. I think partly out of a sense of duty, partly for the money. Anyway, my folks were there for about two years, and I was born about 6 months before they returned home. I don't remember anything about this. Interestingly the return journey took me through more countries than I ever visited until about 5 years ago!! I stayed in the UK from 1961 until 1992, going to school, grammar school, Cambridge Uni (for one year) then to Leeds Uni where I studied Electronic Engineering.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a fighter pilot, partly because it seemed cool, and partly because I thought WWII hadn't actually ended yet. At seven this dream was shattered - (a) I started wearing specs, (b) I realised WWII HAD ended. Instead I decided to become an engineer (at about 8) - my hero was Isambard Kingdom Brunel. This I did, working as an Engineer for about 8 years.

Mortgage rates (17%), falling house values (60%), and boredom forced me out of Britain and out of Engineering.

I have always been fascinated by almost everything, especially astronomy/cosmology/space and the human mind. I believe that these are connecetd subjects. As a kid I kept my own star-catalogues, created my own encyclopedia of space ships, and collected UFO stories. I gave up on UFOs at about 15 (a bit longer than religion - I gave up that at 11, finally disgusted by the hypocracy of it all).

I have two cars - a VW Polo (my company car) - this is a silly little bright blue tonka toy. BUT it is highly fuel efficient, easy to park, and due to it's low weight can get to 50 kph faster than most things on the road. This is a source of great amusement to me - the car looks so dumb, but goes like shit. My other car is a Fiat Coupé - now unused. Very nice, but it's Italian!
I have two motorbikes, a Suzuki GSX750 which is totally reliable, looks nice (ugh) and is more than adequate. The other is a Moto Morini 31/2 which is currently being rebuilt in my garage. I'm thinking about buying a Triumph Thruxton, or a Buell, or maybe a Kawa z1000, or........

I've been driving since I was 17, and riding since 18. So far I have not killed myself, nor anyone else. I have broken my pinky and my big toe - that's it.

Favourite TV show? Difficult - I don't watch that much TV anymore - certainly nothing that would keep me in. I tend to watch comedies: League of Gentleman is a fave, Seinfeld I also like, and The Office.

What else?

kyman 07-07-2005 07:51 PM

That's interesting that your belief in UFO's outlasted your belief in religion. Does your lack of faith in religion include any notions of god? Is it simply a conflict with their interpretation of reality, or do you extend that entirely to any idea and possibility of god?

Do you still keep an ear tuned for any information related to extraterrestrial intelligence?

Larry King Live had a show last night about UFO's. It appears there are a shockingly high amount of reports of UFO's and accounts of obduction, often by individuals with high social status such as policemen and military personal. What is your explaination for these reports?

2) If you could change anything about Frostcloud what would it be? What would you keep the same?

Symptom777 07-10-2005 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyman
That's interesting that your belief in UFO's outlasted your belief in religion. Does your lack of faith in religion include any notions of god? Is it simply a conflict with their interpretation of reality, or do you extend that entirely to any idea and possibility of god?

It started as a conflict, the church (I felt) was too hypocritical to be serving the god they proclaimed to serve. Would a (reasonable) god put up with this sort of nonsense? Why did these people go to church? Then you ask the questions: what is in it for the congregation, and what is in it for the priest. As time goes on, I have become rather more sophisticated in my thinking (yeah, really - I was only 11 at the time). Now I can't accept the notion of god at all. It is illogical, unreasonable and unlikely. I hold to my view that omnipotence and free-wil cannot co-exist (in more than one being!). Therefore we have to accept that we are robots, or accept that there is no god. I don't believe I am a robot! (And this also references back to the simulation argument which must also be wrong). We are here, we do have minds and we do have free-will. Ergo, no god, no supercomputer.

Quote:

Do you still keep an ear tuned for any information related to extraterrestrial intelligence?
Yes. But I certainly don't expect to see an alien or his spaceship. I do think that it is possible that we will receive some signs from extraterrestrial intelligences (though probably not deliberate ones); but not that we will meet them just yet - another few million years are probably required. I would not be at all suprised to find (signs of) lifeforms on other planets within our solarsystem.

We are an intelligent race - would we go round buzzing other inhabited planets, kidnapping the people there, and doing silly stunts? Yes, probably, once interstellar spacetravel is as cheap as owning a car! But in that case we'd see LOTS of spaceships - and I mean all of us.

Quote:

Larry King Live had a show last night about UFO's. It appears there are a shockingly high amount of reports of UFO's and accounts of obduction, often by individuals with high social status such as policemen and military personal. What is your explaination for these reports?
Stress, boredom, neurosis, lack of sleep. Aliens are today's Kobolds.

Quote:

2) If you could change anything about Frostcloud what would it be? What would you keep the same?
I'd have white writing on a blue background, instead of the other way round.
If I had the skill and technology, everytime someone started a thread, they'd get a message - WE ALREADY DONE THAT- PLEASE REFER TO>>>
I'd have a log in message for {insert name of offender here} to say - OK THIS TIME TALK SOME FUCKING SENSE YOU MORON.
I think I'd be a bit stricter with the categories.
Finally I think there should be a big warning message everytime someone posts in a thread with a brilliant answer, that the last time anyone even looked at this thread was TWO YEARS AGO, and that the thread starter hasn't visited FC since he posted it.

kyman 07-11-2005 09:48 PM

You said 'in more than one being'. Does this mean you do not have issues with spirituality, as you do with religion?

Do you suspect for that topic to be on Larry King Live there must have been a powerful manipulation? Why would he do that show?

Are you an alien???

I suppose thread topics are like stories of human relationships. The details change, but the same stories keep on repeating themselves. Interesting. What is you favorite all time thread, and why?

3) What makes you really angry? What makes you very happy?

Symptom777 07-11-2005 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyman
You said 'in more than one being'. Does this mean you do not have issues with spirituality, as you do with religion?

I mean that it is posible for an omnipotent being to have free-will (in fact he must by definition), But it is not possible for there to exist (in the same world) other beings who have free-will whilst the omnipotent being is also there!! I beleive that there must be a world where there is an omnipotent being, just that in that world what is possible to do isn't very much! "spirituality" is a cathedral - a word with many interpretations. Of course I believe that people can be spiritual, but not that there are spiritual beings. If you said that my belief in modal reality was spiritual I could both agree and disagree, but it would mainly be a semantic argument.

Quote:

Do you suspect for that topic to be on Larry King Live there must have been a powerful manipulation? Why would he do that show?
Not at all, this show is designed to make money, not to inform you. Information (if any) is a by-product. This is why "The News of the World", "The National Enquirer" , etc. exist - you think the people whoi sell these papers care anything about anything except circulation and aadvertisement revenue? People are interested in all sorts of things: ghosts, aliens, spirits, telepathy, telekinesis, the loch ness monster, god, angels, Area 57, UFOs, living without food, the healing powers of magnetism, psychic surgery, blah blah blah - none of these are real, but you can see documentaries and read articles about them every day if you want.

Quote:

Are you an alien???
Yes, under Dutch law I am a legal alien.

Quote:

I suppose thread topics are like stories of human relationships. The details change, but the same stories keep on repeating themselves. Interesting. What is you favorite all time thread, and why?
Can't answer that!

Quote:

3) What makes you really angry? What makes you very happy?
Angry: greed; inability for people to see that people react in the same way they would if pushed; bad driving; kids playing football against my garage door; the pricing structure of mobile phones/airlines/trains; hundreds of e-mails offering me viagra at discount prices; people who come to my door to convert me to their bizarre religion who don't even understand it themselves and/or bring their children along;
Happy: sex; motorcycling; helping other people; smoking; a good joke; someone who helps me.

kyman 07-11-2005 11:46 PM

"At a White House party, a woman approached Calvin Coolidge, famed for his silence, and said "Mr. President, I made a bet I can get more than two words out of you." He replied: "You lose." "

Ah, so you have been getting my e-mails?

4) What kind of near future would you like to see, and how do you suggest we get there? Now, what future do you actually see unfolding?

Symptom777 07-14-2005 05:37 PM

Um - no, I haven't been getting your e-mails. I'm actually too lazy to log in.....

Near future: more understanding between peoples, more socialism, some kind of general world business plan. It can't go on like this.... I think we should be thinking about spreading wealth and oportunity, energy and the environment, moving underground and returning the earth to a general forested wilderness.
What I think wil happen is just more of the same, and nothing very exciting - just more gadgets for us, and more pain for them.

kyman 07-14-2005 09:59 PM

Business is an extension of the whole, so it would make sense that it turn a profit for everyone. I suppose the process of getting their will be full of tension and conflict like anything else, but how else will we progress to that point.

You said you are peeved over the hundred emails offering viagra, hence my attempt at humor.

5) Do you like to travel? Where have you been in life that you think was interesting? Where would you like to go someday?

Symptom777 07-14-2005 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyman
Business is an extension of the whole, so it would make sense that it turn a profit for everyone. I suppose the process of getting their will be full of tension and conflict like anything else, but how else will we progress to that point.

We have to move on, Capitalism is the best we have so far, but i'isn't that good. Somehow people have to realise that driving a 5 litre car that eats 1 gallon every 5 miles doesn't actually improve their life, but does actually hurt the lives of others. Statistical morality is the answer, I think. We are a bit morally lost nowadays because the world has become so big, and yet so close by. a thousand years ago the world was small, and distant. A jury of your peers would be people who knew you - now it has to be people who don't know you! Hurting other people would have been a simple matter of actually physically attacking them, or denyng them food, water, shelter. Now we hurt people on a daily basis, but just don't care. Take the car, rather than walk; have a 60 inch telly, whilst your neighbour has no food; fly to the other side of the world for your deserved holiday, whilst your neighbour gets skin cancer from the depleted ozone layer; spend a week's wages on getting pissed, whilst your neighbour is dying of thirst. Where is morality nowadays?

{QUOTE]
You said you are peeved over the hundred emails offering viagra, hence my attempt at humor.[?QUOTE]
Yeah - sorry missed that one, was in serious mode, oops.

Quote:

5) Do you like to travel? Where have you been in life that you think was interesting? Where would you like to go someday?
Not really, there's loads here I haven't seen yet! I have a thing about people telling me what wonderful people live 3thousand miles away, and how beautiful it is, blah, blah, when they don't even talk to the people next door, and have never even walked along the street half a mile away, and look at you funny if you mention that a sunset, cloud, tree, bird, whatever is interesting/beautiful. Let alone people who take a year out to travel - wankers!! They can only do it because 6 Bn people on the planet can't!!

Here is interesting, and now. Always will be.

BUT, I have to say I'd quite like to see:

The grand Canyon, the pyramids, and epsilon eridani.

Seen the sistine chapel, not worth it. St Peter's was impressive, but mainly in the sense of you fucking hypocrites!! It's big mind.

Turkey is good - nice people(ha!) recommend it highly to IAJ.

kyman 07-14-2005 11:36 PM

Economics is a game, but the values assigned to us are not representative of our worth. This is the game where money becomes worth, as opposed to health. Money is often used to sustain health, but because it is the primary focus, health is way farther down on the list.

How can the economy be controlled? People are so possessed by it. It is driven by human fear and greed, on a collective scale, and so all of us individuals are sort of swepped away by it. Its not a sacrifice to give to others for the sake of health, but in the ego's perspective it is viewed as a personal loss. How can the most powerful group in the world, the common man, regain influence over the direction of the economy?

That's a good point you make about here and now. If we lived somewhere and when else, here and now would become vacation. :) Our familiarity really does blind us to our own worth, the worth of others, and our environment.

The grand canyon was amazing. I can post some pics of it if I can find them. I got about 30 shots with my digital while flying over it on our way back home.

Be sure to check vegas out since you'll be so close. The hoover dam is a nice spot too.

6) Do you prefer dogs or cats, and why?

Symptom777 07-15-2005 07:58 AM

I prefer cats.
1) don't have to walk them
2) bury their own poops
3) don't eat other animals poops
4) quieter
5) weigh less
6) smell less
7) have little raspy tongues instead of big slavvery tongues
8) don't piss on your motorbikes wheels
9) can climb trees
10) don't piss on trees
11) when was the last time you trod in cat shit?
12) can occupy themselves
13) catch and kill irrritating bugs
14) are not scared to attack anything, given the motivation
15) Never surrender
16) can eat without making crumbs
17) can be left home alone
18) never bite your ankles
19) don't try and rut your leg
20) they're just better, ok

kyman 07-15-2005 03:49 PM

7) Do you adhere to any system of faith, organized religion, personal philosophy, or any particular belief system that you would like the world to focus more attention on? And why?

Symptom777 07-15-2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyman
7) Do you adhere to any system of faith, organized religion, personal philosophy, or any particular belief system that you would like the world to focus more attention on? And why?

No.

Symptom777 07-15-2005 04:56 PM

Actually I will come back to this.......

Symptom777 07-21-2005 12:48 PM

So:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyman
7) Do you adhere to any system of faith, organized religion, personal philosophy, or any particular belief system that you would like the world to focus more attention on? And why?

I don't have any religious faith, in that sense I am an atheist. I don't have a structured personal philosophy, though I do have some concepts. I do have a particular belief system when it comes to what the world; but I don't care very much if other people believe in it or not. A little bit of course, because I find that other belief systems tend to be destructive at worst and unhelpful at best.

So, for those that don't know, this "belief" is modal reality.
Basically modal reality state that the world we see and experience around us is real and exists. It exists because all possible things exist. The world is possible, therfore it exists.
This concept was originally dreamt up to answer counterfactuals: what ifs.
Such as "what if Kennedy had not been shot?", or "what if I had crossed the road?". These counterfactuals raise questions about what the world would be like if one thing had happened instead of another. Modal reality makes these counterfactuals real, rather than hypothetical; ie it gives them a meaning which otherwise they don't have - how can we think of a what if, if there is no alternative?
But it answers a lot more questions, too. What is reality? That which we see. Are we real? Yes. Do we exist? Yes. Why is the world like it is? Because it is possible. Why is the universe so fine tuned? Because it is possible. Why did life evolve on Earth? Because it is possible.
Of course this world (and by world I mean this entire set of possible things, this universe) is not the only possible world, all possible worlds exist. So when we ask a what if, in another possible world that what if has played out; in another possible world Kennedy was not assasinated, in another possible world I did cross the street.
Another "possibility" is of course to simply think about what is a possible world. Is it possible that there is another world where we are resurrected when we die?
As far as my own interpretation of modal reality goes, it makes god unnecessary (and indeed I don't believe that god is a possibility in this world, although in some worlds a god like being maybe possible, but in a restricted sense), and it makes all the questions of probability and chance disappear. However small the chance is, if it's greater than zero, it is happening: maybe not in this world, but in a world. And however small the chance is, this world is possible, and here it is.
So we aren't created by a super being, we aren't simulations, we aren't disembodied brains inventing the world around us, we aren't part of a universal spirit, or one with nature, or any thing else: we are what we appear to be - thinking animals living on a small planet going round a yellow dwarf star in an unremarkable arm of an unremarkable spiral galaxy in one cluster of billions of clusters of galaxies in a universe that started some 15Bn years ago, simply because it was possible.

kyman 07-21-2005 02:43 PM

A world where kennedy wasn't shot? Interesting. I'd be jealous if I thought I'd still exist there.

Quote:

simply because it was possible
Does this include realities which we may describe as hell, based off experiences in this world where power is corrupted and people are objectified and victimized?

How do you account for dependent origination? I believe it is a buddhist law or belief, among others, pointing that no thing can exist that isn't dependent on some other condition, hence their unseperable relationship or connection. Are you saying man is an independent condition?

Do you only apply the term athiest to yourself in the context of other people's faith? It sounds as if it never comes to your mind until someone supposes a faith in god or religion.

8) What topics/forums do you enjoy discussing most and who do you enjoy discussing these topics/forums with?

Symptom777 07-25-2005 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyman
A world where kennedy wasn't shot? Interesting. I'd be jealous if I thought I'd still exist there.

You do, Kyman, you do.


Quote:

Does this include realities which we may describe as hell, based off experiences in this world where power is corrupted and people are objectified and victimized?
It sounds possible, doesn't it? But I guess this is debatable. At any time there will be an infinite number of despotic and hellish possibles; but experience here suggests that these are not long-lived and that eventually morality/decency prevails. Problem is, what can we derive about all possible worlds from just one example?

In our world at least, such hellish realities are narrowly confined in time and/or space, they seldom outlive the despot who starts them up.

So although I am open to the possibility that every time I make a decision for the good, there is a possible world where I make the opposite decision - I am not wholly open to the possibility that a world exists where everyone conytinuously makes these "bad " decisions. My own belief (ha) is that morality is a self-preservation device - truly despotic and evil societies are self destructive. Ever played any RPGs? Being evil is really hard work, and surviving is even harder!

Quote:

How do you account for dependent origination? I believe it is a buddhist law or belief, among others, pointing that no thing can exist that isn't dependent on some other condition, hence their unseperable relationship or connection. Are you saying man is an independent condition?
Things have to be possible ; I don't believe that it is possible for a man or a man-type thing to spontaneously appear.

Quote:

Do you only apply the term athiest to yourself in the context of other people's faith? It sounds as if it never comes to your mind until someone supposes a faith in god or religion
I don't think of myself as an atheist anymore than I think of myself as non-woman, or non-black, or non-American, or non-accountant. The fact is that I am all these things, but this isn't a self-view. In everyday life I don't even think about god or non-god. It does only " erupt" when people talk about religion. Just as if people talk about (say) murdering people, my anti-murder side would show up, without me otherwise thinking about not murdering people on a daily basis.

Religion is a power device; there are con-men and marks. If you are a mark I can try and convince you how you are being conned; if you're a conman, I'll try and put you out of business - but it isn't my life's work by any means.

My view on religion is not very different from my view on pyramid selling or network marketing - they are all insidious evils.

Quote:

8) What topics/forums do you enjoy discussing most and who do you enjoy discussing these topics/forums with?
I don't mind, I'm open to it all. The main problem is the total lack of intelligence displayed by certain people here; often people who just spew out garbage or vitriol without ever stopping to think. I have no problem with agreeing with people on one subject whilst vigorously opposing them on another - some people however appear to take an opposite view to everything. Often the people I enjoy listening to (reading) are not necessarily people I discuss with: Misfit, Leouna, Miko, Kolriss, Frish, Drom, Kyman, Mr A, Mindsweeper, St. Bean - to name a few are all interesting; but some of them I almost never engage with, some I disagree with, and others I agree with (and that changes from topic to topic). I'm also open to changing my views on people as some of those mentioned above might attest. But liking people/enjoying what they write and agreeing with them aren't the same!!

Actually I quite like the odd insaniacs who turns up, but most aren't long lived.

kyman 07-27-2005 01:51 AM

Quote:

You do, Kyman, you do.
I know it wasn't a great flick, but I bet you loved that Jet Li movie called 'The One'. Tell me you saw it.

Quote:

So although I am open to the possibility that every time I make a decision for the good, there is a possible world where I make the opposite decision - I am not wholly open to the possibility that a world exists where everyone conytinuously makes these "bad " decisions. My own belief (ha) is that morality is a self-preservation device - truly despotic and evil societies are self destructive. Ever played any RPGs? Being evil is really hard work, and surviving is even harder!
That makes perfect sense. Hell is an experience, but what goes down must come up, right?

Yes I have played them. Now tell me, don't you think it is interesting how the bad guys are few BUT powerful, and then good guys are weaker BUT work together? This reinforces beliefs that hell is an experience of isolation and attachment to force or power due to the isolation. And heaven is an experience of belonging to a whole/oneness. Belonging to whole allows you to accept your level of strength/influence, and since you are one with it, when it lives on without you you can pass on in peace. Where else could terms like heaven and hell come from except from our own knowlegdge/interpretations and experience?

Quote:

Religion is a power device; there are con-men and marks. If you are a mark I can try and convince you how you are being conned; if you're a conman, I'll try and put you out of business - but it isn't my life's work by any means.

My view on religion is not very different from my view on pyramid selling or network marketing - they are all insidious evils.
You've always struck me as a curious person. You enjoy learning about life, as it relates to your place within it. You are always a fresh source of opinion on life and are consistent with your logic. Others share these qualties but have few places to turn to for guidance and self expression....

Would you say that religion is the equivalent to a violent criminal posing as kind/friendly only to lure someone into some kind of objectivication?

If you answer yes, then is the kindness/friendliness the person was attracted to real or false? In other words, if people choose not to express themselves through religion, can they find something somewhere else which contains the same thing that attracted to religion in the first place?

Quote:

I don't mind, I'm open to it all.
Does this mean you operate FC almost entirely through the 'new posts' button? :)

I didn't discover that button for quite a while, but since then it has been most helpful. Opened me up to a lot of other threads which I might not have noticed when searching through the forums.

Quote:

I have no problem with agreeing with people on one subject whilst vigorously opposing them on another - some people however appear to take an opposite view to everything.
I used to be tremendously contradictory in my personal life. For some reason our minds just automatically take an opposing view, perhaps more so with others we feel challenged by, but in any case, what do you attribute this to? And what methods do you employ to help another person see the light as you see it? Mainly someone you really want to communicate with? How do you disarm their 'auto-logic'.

Quote:

Actually I quite like the odd insaniacs who turns up, but most aren't long lived.
Indeed. Kudos to FC for embracing freedom of expression. A place where we can be our crazy selves, just not too crazy. ;)

9) Tell us your position on either 'Legislating Euthanasia' or 'Your ideal political system be and how would it function'.

Symptom777 07-27-2005 08:02 AM

Just a quick reply, I'll address the Q later...
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyman
I know it wasn't a great flick, but I bet you loved that Jet Li movie called 'The One'. Tell me you saw it.

Yeah I saw it, dammit. It was terrible. I guess someone saw the Matrix and had a thousand bucks to spend..... This surely put Jet Li's career back a decade. He needs to talk to Quentin Tarantino.
Quote:

Yes I have played them. Now tell me, don't you think it is interesting how the bad guys are few BUT powerful, and then good guys are weaker BUT work together?
exactly.Anyway I could never do "evil", even my chatic-neutral dwarf assassin ended up as a lawful-good paladin, I was losing levels faster than I could gain them. Still an ambidextrous paladin with back-stabbing skills did turn out farly powerful. Anyway, that surely cost me several grades at uni, too - I was losing grades faster than I could make them!!

Quote:

This reinforces beliefs that hell is an experience of isolation and attachment to force or power due to the isolation. And heaven is an experience of belonging to a whole/oneness. Belonging to whole allows you to accept your level of strength/influence, and since you are one with it, when it lives on without you you can pass on in peace. Where else could terms like heaven and hell come from except from our own knowlegdge/interpretations and experience?
I'm pretty much with you on this.

Quote:

You've always struck me as a curious person. You enjoy learning about life, as it relates to your place within it. You are always a fresh source of opinion on life and are consistent with your logic. Others share these qualties but have few places to turn to for guidance and self expression....
You mean curious as in I like to know stuff? or curious as in strange? Or both? Two years ago I got made redundant from a job where I'd almost but not quite made the top. I spent a year out of work (though happily still getting paid), so I had to reassess my life. Part of this was doing some heavy duty web research, and part of that was ending up at FC. Sounds soft as shit, but this really helped me a lot; ane the dissapointment I felt has long since evaporated - I am now a much more relaxed and contented person. Besides that I found out lots of stuff, and lots of non-stuff; it's the non-stuff I want to expose.

Quote:

Would you say that religion is the equivalent to a violent criminal posing as kind/friendly only to lure someone into some kind of objectivication?
Not really violent, more like a pick-pocket. However I do think that religion and violence have a lot in common; and mental violence is far worse and eventually more deadly than physical violence.

Quote:

If you answer yes, then is the kindness/friendliness the person was attracted to real or false?
Some and some - if you're a mark, then you're simply duped, you may go on in a freindly way but only leading to the duping of others. Like pyramid selling - the guys at the top know it's wrong, the guys in the middel are genuinely enthused and have faith, the guys at the bottom are fodder for the top guys not for the middle guys. The middle guys either eventually pull out and become knowledgeable good guys, or stay in and become cynical bad guys.

Quote:

In other words, if people choose not to express themselves through religion, can they find something somewhere else which contains the same thing that attracted to religion in the first place?
Yes they can! Often though it is a weakness in them to need someone else (priest or god) to tell them what to do. Suicide bombers, and pyschotic killers are at the bottom end of these weaklings.

[quote]Does this mean you operate FC almost entirely through the 'new posts' button? :)[\QUOTE]
Got me bang to rights.

Quote:

I used to be tremendously contradictory in my personal life. For some reason our minds just automatically take an opposing view, perhaps more so with others we feel challenged by, but in any case, what do you attribute this to?
Depends. Ego, stupidity or just for the fun of it. But also sometimes we do it to try and point out the weaknesses in something we ourselves might believe in - devil's advocacy. Also note that taking an opposite view is a central part of the UK governmental and judicial systems. The opposition's role in government is to oppose the ruling party. The problem with all agreeing is you end up doing bad things for good reasons. This is why despots tend towards wickedness and tend not to last long, however good their intentions were.

Quote:

And what methods do you employ to help another person see the light as you see it? Mainly someone you really want to communicate with? How do you disarm their 'auto-logic'.
Reason with them, and failing that kick ten tons of shit outta them :cool:


Quote:

9) Tell us your position on either 'Legislating Euthanasia' or 'Your ideal political system be and how would it function'.
tbc.....

Symptom777 07-27-2005 05:37 PM

Legislating Euthanasia.

My view is that euthanasia should be legalised. Suicide is legal in many countries, and indeed making it illegal is clearly simply stupid. I've never heard of anyone being charged with suicide, or even with attempted suicide. Suicide to euthanasia isn't a big step in one sense, but in fact in another sense it's a big step forward. Suicides are often mentally unbalanced.

Doctors already routinely make decisions about who lives and who dies. There simply isn't enough life support machines, body parts, drugs, etc. to go around. So today people are dying because of a lack, and we allow, expect, doctors to make these decisions. Furthermore, there are people dying simply from lack of food, water and shelter - and in vast numbers. Do we legislate against this? do we do very much about it? Why then should we concern ourselves overly about a few people who actually want to escape from misery? What we shold be doing is concentrating on ensuring that there are safe-guards to prevent murders disguised as euthanasia, and then just get on with it.

Modern medical techniques - if we have the resources to pay for them - allow us to live well beyond a ripe old age into a rotting old age, or to keep us alive when we would be better of dead. There is no coercion here, it's choice.

In fact i would suggest that everyone should write down their end-date in a will - they can keep revising this upwards until they either meet it, or are incapable of changing it - at that point, bring it on.

The secondary benefit is that we can use the reources spent on people who don't even want them anymore on people who do want and need them. It would be interesting to know how many people die unhappily through a lack of resources which would otherwise be made available by keeping people alive unhappily.

kyman 08-02-2005 09:46 PM

Is it possible to wish to die and still be completely lucid and of sound mind?

In this day and age, we still have things we need to work on, yet there are still amazing achievements and breakthroughs into new ways of looking at the world. America has its share of growing up to do, but it is also leading the way in certain respects. Why do you think it is that America has not legislated euthanasia?

If someone is going to die naturally, and have a personal wish to die because their bodies have deteriorated so much, isn't it unnatural to interfere with nature's course? How is that not playing god? Or, if you'd prefer to answer it this way, how is that logical?

10) What's the best question you can think of that wasn't asked of you, but you would like to see in the next interview? Now answer it. (Please make it a reasonable question because it will be used in the next interview.)

Symptom777 08-02-2005 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyman
Is it possible to wish to die and still be completely lucid and of sound mind?

I believe so. But how would we know? Not sure, you could argue that self destruction is by definition mad. On the other hadn, you could argue, so what? If you are not completely lucid and of sound mind - are you you in any event?

Quote:

Why do you think it is that America has not legislated euthanasia?
Fundamentalism. Also, I think that the demographic shift is more pronounced in Europe than in USA, and it becomes increasingly obvious that we just can't go on expecting people to live longer at the expense of the young. It's a harsh economic fact. People over 80 tend to need: homehelp, scooy mobiles, regular medication, transport services, sheltered housing, are more likely to occupy hospital beds and so on.

Imagine how many lives could actually be saved by using resources that have been used to sustain the life of one cabbage patch doll for years.

Quote:

If someone is going to die naturally, and have a personal wish to die because their bodies have deteriorated so much, isn't it unnatural to interfere with nature's course? How is that not playing god? Or, if you'd prefer to answer it this way, how is that logical?
There isn't to me a question here of natural or unnatural. 5,000 years ago, I'd be dead already - my eyesight just was never good enough to survive. If you broke your leg, got the measles or whatever you'd be dead. Just 100 years ago simple diseases and breaks and vitamin lack would kill you easy. Is medicine unnatural? The question is what is the point? What is the point of sustaining a life beyond which the person enjoys that life?

Quote:

10) What's the best question you can think of that wasn't asked of you, but you would like to see in the next interview? Now answer it. (Please make it a reasonable question because it will be used in the next interview.)
Hang on - didn't I already think of these???
I come back to you.

Symptom777 08-10-2005 12:30 AM

Ok, at long last.

11) WHAT'S THE GREATEST INVENTION EVER
The washing macine. It's the only invention that actually saves us work on a daily basis, it works better and faster than hand washing, it runs 365 days a year for five years without any serious maintenance, it's relatively small and compact, combines electronics, electrics, mechanics, hydraulics in one package, can be operated by anyone with less than 60s of training, and they look ok too.

kyman 08-10-2005 02:48 AM

Thanks for the interview
 
Good one. Saved all the decent questions for your self, I guess... :eyebrow:

Thank you for your time.

Anybody else have a question?

TruthInArt 03-20-2006 08:03 AM

I do...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyman
Good one. Saved all the decent questions for your self, I guess... :eyebrow:

Thank you for your time.

Anybody else have a question?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...rfractal02.jpg




I do and appreciate the fine inputs and the logics of Symptom.
He is no simpleton but why No 777 when 7 is is a No of perfection.
7 days a week, 7 spirits of God, 7=3+4 and all of that theology.
Sure people turn up at your door and do not know what they say.
If say the best possible world does exist and it is in the future.
Does that not mean that it has allready occured in time and space.
Just as the past has occured and the vast majority of experiance forgotten.
I mean to say that as a function memory is sustained by past/moment/
future.
Now since we were not in place at the time of creation of the universe how can we know?
It is all metaphysics and so proof is only attainable if one puts faith is a proposition.
Hoyle proposed BB out of his arrogance that their is no GOD yet in essence proves GOD.
The law of conservation of energy means that the universe is an extension of his being.
That allows for his omnipotence and so far no one has come up with a plausable excuse.
The electron charges from negative to positive and no one can explain why it just is that way.
So many objectifications work in that fashion because a fact is an assumption.
Why the fact is an assumption is because to assume is to have faith in a proposition.
The proposition that "GOD IS SHORT FOR GOOD" means that good people are GODS.
But no one is GOOD yet because we are all still ignorant of many of the facts to observe.
So that makes us all EVIL till we know all of the facts in the case that is at question.
Now I know Symptom much better and understand his way of thinking and reasoning.
Before I knew that fact I was EVIL or bad to him and his persona and that is not good.
Now I know his style his individual fashion of reasoning I pray that I am GOOD for him.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...rfractal01.jpg



Symptom777 03-20-2006 01:14 PM

777=3*37*7

*Yawn*...God? 03-20-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symptom777
exactly.Anyway I could never do "evil", even my chatic-neutral dwarf assassin ended up as a lawful-good paladin, I was losing levels faster than I could gain them. Still an ambidextrous paladin with back-stabbing skills did turn out farly powerful. Anyway, that surely cost me several grades at uni, too - I was losing grades faster than I could make them!!

!!! Ha, pimp.

StillPond 03-21-2006 02:33 AM

Quote:

a Suzuki GSX750 which is totally reliable, looks nice (ugh) and is more than adequate. The other is a Moto Morini 31/2 which is currently being rebuilt in my garage. I'm thinking about buying a Triumph Thruxton, or a Buell, or maybe a Kawa z1000


a 46 year old on a 750 gixxer, please

i bet you ride without a helmet, huh?

just get a goldwing, or a fatboy and shut the hell up!

you havent riddin until you spark peg in triple digits

TruthInArt 03-21-2006 04:30 AM

Not prime then
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Symptom777
777=3*37*7

Not prime then

Symptom777 03-21-2006 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruthInArt
Not prime then

product of 3 primes, 3, 3&7, 7

Symptom777 03-21-2006 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillPond
a 46 year old on a 750 gixxer, please

i bet you ride without a helmet, huh?

just get a goldwing, or a fatboy and shut the hell up!

you havent riddin until you spark peg in triple digits

ha.

StillPond 03-21-2006 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symptom777
ha.




ha.
ha.

check the rubberside down thread, im interested in your experience

Nef Raven 03-13-2009 06:33 PM

Hi.

I was born and raised in New York, went to the caribbean and finished college, found a job and stayed there for 19 years. I went back to school and still waiting for some test results.

Single (happily unmarried)
No children ( know a few who'd like to be my kids.)
Independent (Dad 's fa vorite eldest guards the assets.)
Outspoken from time to time; but I enjoy my morning coffee with peace and quiet.
I've been driving since college. Took mother's car at 19. I am also big on 80s music and am enjoying the new chapter of my life in the 40s with a sense of humor and hopefully with gracious appreciation of this stage.
I love animals. I have a lovely male basket hound named Gin Gin, and a black and white Persian CaT named Simba, amd two rooster and five chickens. I can never find where they lay the eggs. I suppose finding a Hen House builder would be a good idea. They enjoy the old cement porch to crash under which is what's left of my great grand mother's old home.
I am Hispanic. I've been living in PR for like forever more than 26 years baCK And fourth and I am one of the few Puerto Ricans that manages to stay in touch with family in New York,Connecticut, Florida, Las Vegas, California. I have lived in New York, Florida, with the Military went to North Carolina,Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia, Texas etc. And I also have gone to Maine. I saw this movie about a super sweet town in Minnesota which is pretty cool. If you got that EXCellent! Now, maybe we can be friends sometime.


Thanks for reading my stuff.

Nef Raven 03-13-2009 10:21 PM

I've gained 40 lbs. by surprise. I stopped working out because I have to go for an operation. After that and all the vitamins I have to take I can go back to my old routine and shed off the extras.
Some fat people jokes are pretty funny and scrawny skinny jokes are pretty funny too. I tend to not judge a book by it's cover and I do not enjoy educating a bunch of rude oldies that should know better. With reference to my experience I have a job and am not up for that kind of interview. if you wanna know about my personal experience with the opposite sex that's pretty personal and I am not accustomed to addressing my Xs in memory lol all over again.

Of course there could be an actor or two that pretend to have what we call in PR a HORN ATTACK "cuerno attaque"(where they pretend that their jealous of any man that so much as look my way) just to get a few laughs like a hoax. Trust me, these guys have never polished a romantic rap with a lady in their entire life and probably never will. Where ever this vile soul thought he could live up to me is beyond me. He's far to shallow for even brushing off my ankles walking out.

Soy mucho pollo para aquello!


Well so much for my tender... uh gossip humor. LOL


Life is short. Live it up.

Symptom777 03-14-2009 11:44 AM

All 'ighly entertaining en all that, but why 'ave you stuck this on the end of my hinterview?

Ben Burkhill. 06-22-2009 06:54 AM

kid lover needs mommy
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nef Raven (Post 425978)
( know a few who'd like to be my kids.)

poor confused kids would have done much better with me as daddy..

by the way nef you be mommy and i will be daddy...

in otherwords i love you...
in extreme words i want you to marry me...

in more detailed yet perveted words i wanna engage in intercouse with you...

Ca$hback 06-22-2009 08:29 PM

This imposter (notice the period at the end of the name and, well, the poor mimicry) is rather sexually obsessed.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
Hosted and Maintained by The IceStorm Network