FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > General Philosophy

Greetings!

General Philosophy Thought-provoking, philosophical discussions.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 PM
学生

Send a message via AIM to Sapieneptus
Philosophie

I am the president of the Philosophy club at my high school (Yeah, I know, their all doomed, right?), and recently I have come to the delemna that we are out of ... topics...

Does anyone have any suggestions for any topics that could be discussed by a group of not so-spiritually involved high-school students without too much brain trauma?

Thx in advance,

-sap
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

why you generation rejects its power and allows their political rights to be abused

why online voting is not happening when we can pay our taxes and be drafted on line.

ask yourself ,,, if there was on line voting and wireless terminals that would allow all ,, including the poor and homeless to vote ,,like there could be right now ,,,why isnt there ????

it gets pretty obvious to me right away why it wont change,,,,,,,

because people would vote!!!

i wish evolution/creation would give me a smarter voting younger generation
Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Bloodshot Deadbeat

What about discussing the inextricably close link between linguistical ability/competence and cognitive proficiency?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

or the inability of the educated to be educated
Old 01-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Veteran

The dichotomy of the journey of mankind away from its pagan spiritual natural connection with everything towards testable knowledge of the details our world, and its dualistic connection with technology. Which is a better state of affairs, and why can't we manage to strike a balance?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapieneptus
I am the president of the Philosophy club at my high school (Yeah, I know, their all doomed, right?), and recently I have come to the delemna that we are out of ... topics...

Does anyone have any suggestions for any topics that could be discussed by a group of not so-spiritually involved high-school students without too much brain trauma?

Thx in advance,

-sap
What about: which is best Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Veteran

Topic: What is a philosopher?

Do you think you'll become a philosopher by studying philosophy?

By that logic one could say that one becomes a cow by studying milk.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 AM
Introverted Excavator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_amfad
The dichotomy of the journey of mankind away from its pagan spiritual natural connection with everything towards testable knowledge of the details our world, and its dualistic connection with technology. Which is a better state of affairs, and why can't we manage to strike a balance?
Or as a summary of the above prolixity,
mysticism vs. science

When you smile it is like a song and I can hear it now
Old 01-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Veteran

Philosopy is funny in western metaphysics. Unlike in India where the entire focus of what the problem is is desire, the west beats around the bush a lot.
This may not sound like philosophy but knowing that you cannot even move your arm consciously or think a single thought without it being the result of a desire, the question - why do you get out of bed in the morning? becomes philosophical - to go to the toilet. To go to school. To go to work. To eat. Blah blah blah. Then it becomes why do you do these things? If you as enough why's like a 3 year old, you might arrive at something like - why do you want to be happy?

For Aristotle this was the last question as it does not make sense to ask this question because we all want to be happy but it follows then - Have you done this in the past and it has made you happy. If its going to the toilet that doesn't make sense but if someone says to get enough money for a house with a pool or something it does and since they may not have done this it is logical to ask this will bring lasting happiness and if they have ever done anything that brought lasting happiness?

Of course they must answer they have not for if they did they would not be seeking it now. And since nothing they have done in the past has led to lasting happiness, why is it that pursuit of this activity leads them to believe will make them have a more lasting happiness? Who do they know that is 'happy?'

And how did they achieve this and why should you believe them?/Are then not now striving for something else/desire yet something else? Do you know anyone that is not striving for anything as an indication of happiness? Or is that what they think is permanent happiness in which case we could say a drowning rat swimming so it does not drown is exemplary of happiness. Who is it that appears to be happy and what is it that they are doing?

Is happiness relative? Is happiness in the eye of the beholder? Is that the only happiness possible? Relative happiness/constant striving for happiness but never attaining it (swimming till you drown)? Is the song the Gambler right ' and the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep....'

How happy are you? Compared to who? Who is the God that makes the Standard set of criteria for what happiness is? Do you vote on the most happy person? In which country? In what period of history? Is happiness the opposite side of the coin of un-happiness? Is it a state of mind? What is the survival survival value of happiness as a species. Anger serves the purpose of fighting ferociously and surviving for example. It makes a soldier fearless in battle in the face of death.

If every thought is a result of a desire, and you have a chain of thoughts, can you trace backward through your chain of thoughts to discover the original thought that began this chain of thoughts? Or do you find it difficult being distracted by where the chain of thoughts leads. This is a mystical exercise. Stopping suddenly throughout the day and asking the question what was I thinking? Why? What was I doing? Why?

Thought for food.....
Mike Dubbeld
Old 01-25-2007, 04:17 AM
学生

Send a message via AIM to Sapieneptus
Wow, Thanks so much everyone!

The club is meeting this coming Tuesday, I will see how these things sit. These are all great, keep them coming!
Thanks so much!

-Sap

James;

sorry, mate; no real thinking there; Kreme's got the donuts, Dunkin's got the coffee. Anything else would be uncivilized.

-Sap