FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > The Mind

Greetings!

The Mind Post your inquiries into the human mind. Topics include cognition, emotion, behaviors, and dreaming.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Newb

happiness is.

Where are you happy now?
What is happiness?

If you look for it, you can see happiness in people that just seems out of place but is, never the less, happiness. I guess it sometimes looks odd because it is happiness translated through their context.

I hear people say true happiness is, and then they fill in the blank with what they think makes them happy. I suspect that whatever that thing is really only helps them be happy and what they are really doing is just being, and being happy.
I think happiness just is and either you have affirmed how to have it at the time, or you have affirm something else and nothing is absolute, what do you think?

So happiness must just be one of the vibes of the universe. Happiness just is.

Are you happy?
What is happiness to you?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Eyes? I see no eyes.

Happiness is a bio-feedback reward that encourages you to repeat the behavior that gave you the feeling.

Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Supermarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hback View Post
Happiness is a bio-feedback reward that encourages you to repeat the behavior that gave you the feeling.
Thats a miserable explanation.

~~~

I used to think that happiness was the result of neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin, so I did some A&E, and a couple of degrees in Psych.

Now when I take E, I am able to mostly neutralise the effect of the substance willfully. That is : I can tap into its 'happy' or not, willfully. And mostly so, because its a cheap imitation, at best, of ganja.

But what makes me happy,
is to be creative, so anything that adds to my creativity makes me happy.

For the most part, having lots and lots and lots of free time, blank paper, pens of colors, a PC, good graphics program, game-making language, as well as html, plenty ganja, fried chip sandwiches, nice weather, a beach nearby, filter coffee, strawberries when possible, and most importantly

the FREEDOM
to enjoy the mix of it all
Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Eyes? I see no eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoseidonsNet View Post
Thats a miserable explanation.
That's definitely a matter of perspective I'm hardly responsible for. You flatter me too much.

Quote:
I used to think that happiness was the result of neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin, so I did some A&E, and a couple of degrees in Psych.
Well, I'm not going to give you the benefit of the doubt based on our past conversations regarding your psych experience, let alone credentials but we can definitely agree that it's an inexact science, for now at least. The brain performs both analog and digital calculations and is very mechanical, albeit disorganized and inefficient which adds to its staggering complexity. Complexity doesn't denote impossibility otherwise we wouldn't exist. Scientists may not be able to create a thought but a thought isn't a thing, like an apple, that can be stored in one location and accessed at will, it's a million sets of dendrites causing tens of millions of possibilities. We call it one thing but a thought comes into existence, exists and is transformed into memory in multiple parts of the brain simultanaously. Everything considered in the thought: objects, location, temperature, pre-disposition, color, weight, size etc. requires many regions and is "stored" as an addition to the seemingly random patterns of the lightning storm of the brain (dynamic and mobile). It may be somewhat confined to the patterns of particular synapses but the brains redundancy and interconnectedness is its well-used but ever sharp edge. Our current understanding of a thought seems to be more of an apple and less of a fractal of ourselves.

Quote:
Now when I take E, I am able to mostly neutralise the effect of the substance willfully. That is : I can tap into its 'happy' or not, willfully. And mostly so, because its a cheap imitation, at best, of ganja.
Apples and oranges. It's the difference between androgenic steroids and a steak sandwich. Weed stretches the synapses in the cannaboid receptors, causing many pleasant, often individual, side-effects. X aims at very particular parts of the brain to cause a direct effect. Like steroids shrink your balls, X convinces your brain that you'll recieve your seratonin from an outside source and atrophies the relevant glands.

Quote:
But what makes me happy,
is to be creative, so anything that adds to my creativity makes me happy.For the most part, having lots and lots and lots of free time, blank paper, pens of colors, a PC, good graphics program, game-making language, as well as html, plenty ganja, fried chip sandwiches, nice weather, a beach nearby, filter coffee, strawberries when possible, and most importantly
the FREEDOM
to enjoy the mix of it all
Which I explained in the first place. Repeat your behavior your brain recognizes as positive and you reward yourself with a good feeling.

Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live.