FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Politics > Politics and World Events

Greetings!

Politics and World Events A place for all you liberals, conservatives, and even radicals.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 AM
•••

An Interview with Craig from Craigslist

This guy, Craig Newman, just sounds like such a great guy, nice to see someone with some good sense out there ...
Quote:
Proof that one man can change the world - and not lose his soul with the fame and fortune that comes with being an Internet pioneer.

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous when I picked up the phone and called Craig Newmark. The guy has helped me find every apartment I've ever lived in, four bikes and even a few dates. When he picked up the phone Craig asked me to hold on while he turned down the TV. He then answered every question I had in the most polite fashion possible. In the middle of our interview the ever watchful Newmark did a quick search for his name and found a Twitter I had just put out: "I'm interviewing Craig Newmark from Craigslist in 20 mins, anybody have any good questions." After a quick laugh, I realized that Craig walks a fine line between two worlds. Actually, he struts across that line. He is an Internet sensation. One of the first real Internet gurus, yet he isn't a multi-millionaire, he hasn't retired to the Bahamas. For all intents and purposes he lives a normal life - he even works as a customer service representative for Craigslist.

All this combines to make Craig one of the more interesting people online today. And here is an exclusive interview for Broowaha.

So what do you do in the day-to-day?

For the most part it's me doing customer service in different forms. Until recently I did it full time, but I've been doing it for too many years, and I needed a break. So right now I'm at 2/3rds time and I hope to go to half-time soon. But I plan to do customer service only as long as I live; after that, it's over.

I generally handle abuse cases, spam or scams, or apartment brokers in New York who are going too far. So it's different everyday. Sometimes people will be bickering or harassing each other, sometimes there are cases of persistent spam that I take a look at.

I am part of a team - I am not chief customer service rep. I act as a rep and I report to somebody else. Just to be really clear, Jim Buckmaster really runs craigslist; he does it well, whereas I kinda suck as a manager.

What about your life has changed?

Basically I work more and I work odd hours. But the work is fulfilling. I can see that as a team we are helping people by creating a space where they can help each other out. My confidence in people has increased in that I can see that people are generally trustworthy and good. Sure, there are bad guys, but they are a tiny percentage of the population - and doing customer service along with some outside inspiration has given me the desire to take the ideals of craigslist further. I'm trying to do is take the values -- that I've learned and extend them in other ways.

Well, I know you are active in helping to keep journalism healthy. In fact, you've help to pay part of my salary while working at NewAssignment.net(thanks). What is your view of journalism and why do you devote time and attention to it.

To move together as a people and as a species, we need people to tell us what is going on and the mechanisms for that particularly in Washington DC, have broken down. And there are cases too where new sources that used to do things like fact-checking don't do that anymore. But we need good honest information and thats very important in the US, especially as we approach the presidential elections.

Particularly in citizen journalism.

I think we need to encourage more people trying to dig for the truth and sometimes a passionate citizen journalist will do better than a professional. Especially if the professional doesn't have the resources to do factchecking and if you can get a bunch of people to work on a story and give them the resources to get heard. We can hear things we need to hear now that otherwise would never have been covered.

I should say in all this, I'm no expert. I talk a lot to Jay Rosen, Ellen Miller,
Jeff Jarvis, Dan Gilmore, Arianna Huffington also I spend a lot of time talking to the folks at the Sunlight Foundation - because I think they are building the tools that I think journalists, citizen or professional, will figure out why things work as badly in Washington as they do - and how we can get it to be more transparent.
http://www.broowaha.com/article.php?id=2793

Dragon busted on his lies ... HERE!

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's” - Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 AM
•••

As I am reading the article why should it be any wonder that Craig considers Leonard Cohen to be his guru ... (anyone here other then myself know who he is?).

Hats off to you Craig, your one of the good ones ....

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's” - Mark Twain

Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Veteran

Yeah I like Leonard a genuine Gentleman artisitically talented and astute but a bit posey and trendily existentially tortured like a Canadian Bob Dylan with more style and grace but i like that too! i have taken solace in Leonards profound and oft depressing insigts and wondered at the clarity and comfort of his gentle lonely beautifull perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLq7Aqd_H7g
A single tear escapes from his right eye at the end of this song very touching humble and sincere in it's vunerability. It really is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5EjXep7Npw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl1S0...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLe7E...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO09v...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAs-k...eature=related
A young Leonard exercising his charisma and intellect revealing poetic and emotional purity. Serenity poise and a sense of humility filled with joire deveve!!!! and gratitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aRKZ...eature=related
a beautifull song. Sublimely painfull.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
•••

Nice links !