FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Science/Technology > General Science and Nature

Greetings!

General Science and Nature General discussions on all aspects of science and nature.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
The inquisitive thinker

I was wondering

I was wondering when I watched a good science/space documentary. There are many theories on how the universe will end but questions come to mind when you think through these theories.
Well the one which gets me is that they say the universe can keep expanding till it rips but what is beyond that rip and when people say nothing what is nothingness.
I like the theory where the universe will be crushed back and will restart.
What is your opinion?

Last edited by oranphil; 01-21-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Symptom of the Universe

rip
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 AM
Veteran

'teflon'?

sliding surfaces

true parallax

"documentary"

the notion of the universe expanding may be based on a constant re-calibrating of the astonomers baseline (which is essentially Earth in its orbit, 6 months apart). But parallax observations based on this contain an error margin...

When they reach their "limit" on calibrating/ re-calibrating the positions of the (background) stars, that is, their limit on "ripping" (?); they will then have to face reality - which is "nothing" except what you see

so keep one's eyes open

there are more ways to see than with eyes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranphil View Post
I was wondering when I watched a good science/space documentary. There are many theories on how the universe will end but questions come to mind when you think through these theories.
Well the one which gets me is that they say the universe can keep expanding till it rips but what is beyond that rip and when people say nothing what is nothingness.
I like the theory where the universe will be crushed back and will restart.
What is your opinion?

My opinion is that we don't know enough about the universe. We should know more before starting a discussion about the beginning or the end.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Veteran

We are like those people a few hundreds years ago, which believed that the Earth was flat, and discussed about what was happening at the edge, or beneath.
First we have to understand the basics, and then discuss about it. And it's obvious to me that we don't have a clue about the basics. I can assure you that all those people who will tell you that our knowledge is enough to explain the universe are totally wrong. They use to tell that the reason why you don't understand is that you don't read enough, you are stupid and ignorant. Well, open a physics course, and you will understand from the first pages how little we know and how confused are the explanations. Will you understand that? I thought it was easy. Obviously it is not. There are a lot of people who is trying to explain things they don't understand, believing they have understand what is ununderstandable. When you push these people a little bit, they argue that the human mind cannot understand, you just have to accept. Personnaly, I refuse to accept anything that I cannot understand, and I refuse to accept that something is ununderstandable. The problem of understanding is not in the receiver, the problem sits in the explanation.

If I can put an advice here, it's this one:
"Ce qui se conçoit bien s'énonce clairement
Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément." Boileau

"What is well conceived is enunciated clearly. And the words to say it come easily."

This forum and many others are a proof that things are not "well conceived" yet.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
The inquisitive thinker

great point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
My opinion is that we don't know enough about the universe. We should know more before starting a discussion about the beginning or the end.
That is a very true statement there is much to be learn about the universe