FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Politics > Politics and World Events

Greetings!

Politics and World Events A place for all you liberals, conservatives, and even radicals.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Veteran

Political censorship

There was a thread a while back on this forum regarding flag burning. If the idea of a ban on flag burning upsets you, then McCain-Feingold should really send cold chills up your spine. That bill is nothing short of censorship of free political speech and is designed to protect incumbents. They have their power and want to keep it! Everyone on both sides of the isle should be upset by this and trying to change it!

Here's more:
Quote:
WASHINGTON - Something almost without precedent in America will happen Thursday. That’s the day when McCain-Feingold — aka the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 — will officially silence broadcast advertising that contains criticism of members of Congress seeking re-election in November. Before 2006, American election campaigns traditionally began in earnest after Labor Day. Unless McCain-Feingold is repealed, Labor Day will henceforth mark the point in the campaign when congressional incumbents can sit back and cruise, free of those pesky negative TV and radio spots. It is the most effective incumbent protection act possible, short of abolishing the elections themselves.

Full article:
McCain-Feingold was a mistake.
Burning a flag may make you feel better, but it really doesn't communicate much more than dissatisfaction. I prefer unfettered political speech where you can lay out the gory details, make the case, explain the pros and cons, and let the world know why so-n-so incumbent is malevolent political figure and should be ousted. Add to McCain-Feingold the effects of gerrymandering and it is becoming increasingly harder to replace your political leaders! (gerrymandering is why one political analyst doesn't think the Dems will get many new seats in the midterm elections).

Don't even begin to tell me that the intent it to control political money. You want to control political money? Allow fully uninhibited political speech and full disclosure of campaign contributions and then the light of day will control political money.

This bill totally stinks!

OK. I feel somewhat better after the rant... it's back to the cave for me.

PS: life's been a bear lately... it will be some time before I can regularly participate in the cloud (try to keep the cheering down...). Anyhow have fun with this.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 AM
ACT Art Reform Tourist

Bit late

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemel View Post
There was a thread a while back on this forum regarding flag burning. If the idea of a ban on flag burning upsets you, then McCain-Feingold should really send cold chills up your spine. That bill is nothing short of censorship of free political speech and is designed to protect incumbents. They have their power and want to keep it! Everyone on both sides of the isle should be upset by this and trying to change it!

Here's more:

Burning a flag may make you feel better, but it really doesn't communicate much more than dissatisfaction. I prefer unfettered political speech where you can lay out the gory details, make the case, explain the pros and cons, and let the world know why so-n-so incumbent is malevolent political figure and should be ousted. Add to McCain-Feingold the effects of gerrymandering and it is becoming increasingly harder to replace your political leaders! (gerrymandering is why one political analyst doesn't think the Dems will get many new seats in the midterm elections).

Don't even begin to tell me that the intent it to control political money. You want to control political money? Allow fully uninhibited political speech and full disclosure of campaign contributions and then the light of day will control political money.

This bill totally stinks!

OK. I feel somewhat better after the rant... it's back to the cave for me.

PS: life's been a bear lately... it will be some time before I can regularly participate in the cloud (try to keep the cheering down...). Anyhow have fun with this.
As I see it the problem with freedom of speech is the donuts motor heads do to persecute/prosecute their neighbours with. They have the right to speak do they?
In doing so and thus failing to love their neighbours will retribution stop them or just send them into some other neighbourhood. Speaking of do-nuts and ring shaped things and the fact that America has the biggest arsenal of donut makers.

singed out by Homer Simpson?
Justice to the poverty stricken nescience the poor children's innocence
Old 04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Gemel

I have been ignoring this post for some time but now decided to reply.

Religious censorship is far worse than political censorship.
I believe that Christ was censored for free speech because of his criticisms of the chauvinist jews.
Pontius Pilate was reluctant at first to condenm Christ but later relented.
I believe this happened because the chauvinist jews bribed him to do this dirty job.

All these mass killings performed as ritual cleansings are a form of censorship.
And this all started in the Old Testament.

Any censorship done here in the US is because we should censor the wealthy that use their dollars to condenm any politician that they do not like.
Paid advertising is NOT free speech. This type of speech is like someone shouting to everyone while the poorer individual cannot rebut because of 'lack of dollars'.

So one can condenm someone with paid speech if they also pay for a rebuttal.
This is a fair way to resolve any differeces.
I endorse this 100% because we do need to treat all people as equals when it comes to free speech.

Amen.

NS
Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Science View Post
Gemel

I have been ignoring this post for some time but now decided to reply.

Religious censorship is far worse than political censorship.
I believe that Christ was censored for free speech because of his criticisms of the chauvinist jews.
Pontius Pilate was reluctant at first to condenm Christ but later relented.
I believe this happened because the chauvinist jews bribed him to do this dirty job.

All these mass killings performed as ritual cleansings are a form of censorship.
And this all started in the Old Testament.

Any censorship done here in the US is because we should censor the wealthy that use their dollars to condenm any politician that they do not like.
Paid advertising is NOT free speech. This type of speech is like someone shouting to everyone while the poorer individual cannot rebut because of 'lack of dollars'.

So one can condenm someone with paid speech if they also pay for a rebuttal.
This is a fair way to resolve any differeces.
I endorse this 100% because we do need to treat all people as equals when it comes to free speech.

Amen.

NS
THat is not free speech when you force allow someone else to say something. Free speech is uninhibited action. So ANY kind of censorship is WRONG. Otherwise you are living in a oppressive society.
In this land there is equal OPPORTUNITY, not just equal actions over force means. Should never bring down someone else because tehy have the opportunity or means or wealth....otherwise you support oppression and dictatorship.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 AM
Interhuman Symbiosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
Should never bring down someone else because tehy have the opportunity or means or wealth....otherwise you support oppression and dictatorship.
Of course the opposite applies, meaning you "should never 'bring down' someone else because they 'don't' have opportunity, means or wealth......otherwise you support oppression and dictatorship."

Thucydides
Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
THat is not free speech when you force allow someone else to say something. Free speech is uninhibited action. So ANY kind of censorship is WRONG. Otherwise you are living in a oppressive society.
In this land there is equal OPPORTUNITY, not just equal actions over force means. Should never bring down someone else because tehy have the opportunity or means or wealth....otherwise you support oppression and dictatorship.
What is your opinion on access to the halls of congress to corrupt the politicians that the average citizen cannot or want to do?

Would you call that censorship if this is prevented?

NS
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
Quote:
What is your opinion on access to the halls of congress to corrupt the politicians that the average citizen cannot or want to do?

Would you call that censorship if this is prevented?

NS
Yes I would, ALL individuals and groups should be able to voice their opinion to our Congress, since we did elect them.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Burkhill View Post
Of course the opposite applies, meaning you "should never 'bring down' someone else because they 'don't' have opportunity, means or wealth......otherwise you support oppression and dictatorship."
What do you mean? How is not allowing the action of pushing down those that can succeed in life because they have the opportunity pushing down those that do not have the opportunity? I know life is not fair, but if you do not have the means currently, too bad. Life is full of hard work, even those that now have the current means to do what they want. No one deserves a freebie.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 AM
ACT Art Reform Tourist

A sword is never a killer

Quote:
“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.”
- A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD

With freedom is the responsibility to a brutal act, time, place and event.
Flag burning, book burning, art burning is all arson about with an indent.
If a member of a political party then it follows you are in the others out.
Even members of each are divided into factions of opinion like Brutus lout.

Justice to the poverty stricken nescience the poor children's innocence
Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Yes I would, ALL individuals and groups should be able to voice their opinion to our Congress, since we did elect them.
Yes, but do you think that all citizens can afford to go to Washington and
get a personal hearing from the ordinary citizen about his complaints?
Do you think they want to hear about the coruption of the congressman and the senators? Ha ha.

NS
Old 04-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, but do you think that all citizens can afford to go to Washington and
get a personal hearing from the ordinary citizen about his complaints?
Do you think they want to hear about the coruption of the congressman and the senators? Ha ha.

NS
Do all? No, but that is not my concern. If they want to go, they will and can find a way. Unless they are lazy.