FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Politics > Politics and World Events

Greetings!

Politics and World Events A place for all you liberals, conservatives, and even radicals.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:12 AM

Sha na na na, na na na na hey hey hey GOOD BYE! Rumsfeld is gone HORRAY!

Quote:
U.S. Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who has overseen the execution of the unpopular war in Iraq, is stepping down in the wake of major Democratic gains in the mid-term elections.

President George W. Bush made the announcement early Wednesday afternoon, as Democrats emerged from the previous day's ballots with a solid majority in the U.S. House of Representatives and a narrow lead in the final undecided race they must win to control the Senate.

Bush described Rumsfeld, who had held the post for six years, as "a patriot who served this country with honour and distinction," but said the pair had agreed Tuesday that the resignation was "appropriate."

"Now after a series of thoughtful conversations, we've agreed that the timing is right for new leadership at the Pentagon," the president told a news conference in Washington.

"I recognize that many Americans voted last night to register their displeasure with the lack of progress being made" in Iraq, the president said.

"[Rumsfeld] understands Iraq is not working well enough, fast enough."

Robert Gates, who was director of the CIA from 1991 to 1993 and is the president of Texas A&M University, was nominated to succeed Rumsfeld.

Bush, Gates and Rumsfeld appeared at a mid-afternoon news conference, during which Rumsfeld described the war in Iraq as "little understood."

"It's been quite a time," said Rumsfeld. "It recalls to mind the statement by Winston Churchill, something to the effect that: I have benefited greatly from criticism, and at no time have I suffered a lack thereof."

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/1...-analysis.html

Dragon busted on his lies ... HERE!

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's - Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Devil's Advocate

Send a message via AIM to Galphanore Send a message via Yahoo to Galphanore
You should really read some posts instead of just posting new threads. We really do talk about these things without your quotes of articles.
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
-- Theodore Roosevelt
To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.
--Confucius

Remember, Democracy can not be spread by the barrel of a gun.

I'm a Libertarian Transhumanist Atheist and a proud member of the reality-based community.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:14 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galphanore
You should really read some posts instead of just posting new threads. We really do talk about these things without your quotes of articles.
I also agree with this. All Monkey is tryingto do is start trouble on something we already know about what he thinks.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 AM

Its good enough for its own topic so there it is !!!

WOOHOO HES GONE !!!!

Honestly I am thrilled, this is great, mind you I need to read more about the CIA director replacing him, could be from bad to worse but that would be hard to do ...

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's - Mark Twain

Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Devil's Advocate

Send a message via AIM to Galphanore Send a message via Yahoo to Galphanore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArghMonkey
Its good enough for its own topic so there it is !!!

WOOHOO HES GONE !!!!

Honestly I am thrilled, this is great, mind you I need to read more about the CIA director replacing him, could be from bad to worse but that would be hard to do ...
If you want to know about his replacement go read up on The Iran-Contra Affair, he was one of the officals during that time. Also consider this : His replacement was also one of Bush's daddies advisors. (Does he ever hire anyone who wasn't?)
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
-- Theodore Roosevelt
To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.
--Confucius

Remember, Democracy can not be spread by the barrel of a gun.

I'm a Libertarian Transhumanist Atheist and a proud member of the reality-based community.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Sha na na na, na na na na hey hey hey GOOD BYE! Rumsfeld is gone HORRAY!
Sounds like the same response by the terrorists. Bad company speaks for itself.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJoseph
Sounds like the same response by the terrorists. Bad company speaks for itself.
Ya im sure the over 40,000 iraqis killed (mostly civilians) will be happy that hes gone as well, too bad they are dead and had no say in wether they lived or died for america.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Child of the Korn.

Send a message via MSN to free tibet
YES! Im so glad he's gone its good to see the Republicans running about like rats on a sinking ship.
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Veteran

Rumsfeld, is an American patriot. he is just one of many that devote there lives to an ideology and a job that could support it. if he had chosen to follow a path most did, in his generation, he would be Florida living the plush life they do and not have taken the beatings he has....and the only loser..the US citizenry.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson33
Rumsfeld, is an American patriot. he is just one of many that devote there lives to an ideology and a job that could support it. if he had chosen to follow a path most did, in his generation, he would be Florida living the plush life they do and not have taken the beatings he has....and the only loser..the US citizenry.
Ya, everyone has lost a lot, over 40,000 iraqi lives, over 2000 american lives, the respect of the u.s. internationally ...

Ya, Rumsfeld has caused a lot to be lost ...

Old 11-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson33
Oh, How most sane people wish he had chosen that path and went to Florida...... It is ok. It is just that we do not understand the complexities of the war the way he did. Neither do the generals apperently. Just because Rumsfeld saw no possible way the war would even last 6 months when we invaded does not mean he was delusional from the start..... the fact he would not listen to the generals on the ground makes him even greater in your eyes I am sure... If only we appreciated his genius more while he was in office... So sad....
Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I love peanut butter.

Some interesting statements I've read today.

From Maureen Dowd in the International Herald Tribune:
"Poppy Bush and James Baker gave Sonny the presidency to play with and he broke it. So now they're taking it back."
"Rummy turned up dead with so many knives in him that it's impossible to say who actually finished off the man that's billed as Washington's most skilled infighter (Poppy? Scowlcroft? Baker? Laura? Condi? The Silver Fox? Retired generals? Serving generals? Future generals? Troops returning to Iraq for the umpteenth time without a decent strategy? Democrats? Republicans? Jo Lieberman?)"

At Slate.com, there's an article on Rumsfeld titled, "A Catalog of Failure" by Phillip Carter
link here: For Full Story, Click Here
Quote:
Iraq dominates the list of Rumsfeld errors because of the sheer enormity of his strategic mistakes. Indeed, his Iraq blunders should have cost him his job long before the 2006 midterm elections. From tinkering with troop deployments in 2002 and 2003, which ensured there were too few troops from the start, to micromanaging operations with his famed "8,000 mile screwdriver," to pushing for the disastrous twin policies of de-Baathification and disbandment for the Iraqi army, Rumsfeld's failures transformed the Iraq war from a difficult enterprise into an unwinnable one. Likewise, in Afghanistan, missteps by the Pentagon have left America's victory there unconsummated. Make no mistake: These were not tactical failures, made by subordinate military officers. Rather, these were strategic errors of epic proportions that no amount of good soldiering could undo. Blame for these strategic missteps lies properly with the secretary of defense and his senior generals, and, ultimately, with the White House.
Later in the story, Carter mentions that higher officials need to be held accountable for their actions, and up unti now, this hasn't really occurred.

I think that's a very important issue -- this administration has not been very accountable to the public. It'll be interesting to see how this changes now that the Democrats are the majority in the house of Representatives.
"Very interesting and challenging interview. You can ask him anything, but he's going to say what he wants, at the pace that he wants. It's like boxing a glacier. Enjoy that metaphor, by the way, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is."
Old 11-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskill
Some interesting statements I've read today..
I have'nt. No one said how the Dems are going to deal with terrorism. Maybe it will just go away, you think?

And Sadaam was an arch mass terrorist - Bush merely opened a small slit in an Arabian carpet, and exposed a whole lot of rot buried under. Europe would have esteem him another 30 years, and blame US for confronting him.

And there are no muslim freedom fighters - 55 Regimes say so. The pretense about Iraqi civilian deaths is laughable, and only a covert attack on America: its the Europeans and Arabs who should be taken to task - for more than 700,000 civilians murdered under their watch. Can't stomach what Bush exposed? Sick mindsets abound.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
I love peanut butter.

IaJ: you're points are a non-sequitor and have absolutely nothing to do with Rumsfeld.
The issue at hand is Rumsfeld's incompetency in providing sound policies for creating a stable Iraq. A good indication that he hasn't been doing his job is that for the most part, the entire American army -- the Marine Corps, the AirForce, the Navy, the Armed Forces -- have been calling for his resignation. Don't believe me? Look here:
http://www.slate.com/id/2152981/?nav=navoa
"Very interesting and challenging interview. You can ask him anything, but he's going to say what he wants, at the pace that he wants. It's like boxing a glacier. Enjoy that metaphor, by the way, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is."
Old 11-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskill
IaJ: you're points are a non-sequitor and have absolutely nothing to do with Rumsfeld.
The issue at hand is Rumsfeld's incompetency in providing sound policies for creating a stable Iraq. A good indication that he hasn't been doing his job is that for the most part, the entire American army -- the Marine Corps, the AirForce, the Navy, the Armed Forces -- have been calling for his resignation. Don't believe me? Look here:
http://www.slate.com/id/2152981/?nav=navoa
I fully concur with that, but for totally different reasonings. While an after scenario of stability is vital, Bush nontheless should have eliminated the threat of Sadaam - but more decisively, and by counter-planning the reaction of terror sponsoring networks all around. But there is no shortage of applicable blame on the Arab peoples, and its an utter disgrace this is not made the fulcrum factor here. It in no way puts any onus or relevence about confronting Sadaam, nor is it so easy to stablise such a region. Its a deflection and denial. Iran beacons, emulating Sadaam's Iraq - state your premise now, not after?