FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Science/Technology > Biology and Genetics

Greetings!

Biology and Genetics Discussions on biology, evolution, genetics, health, and other related topics.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Newb

Question is evolution is true ?

hi all,

What do you think about evolution?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Skilled

i don't know it depends if ur religios or not. i mean i can believe it, but if ur religious like say adam and eve would you really belive an angel bowing down to a monkey?
Old 01-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Newb

different religion have different belief about living creature ,so it make us confuse,but evolutionism can surely tell us the truth .
however ,if the human developed from a monkey why human's hair so little ? and it
cant be a protection for us from cold . if the human developed from the monkey , that's mean before the existence of human, it did have a monkey known to wear cloth like us ~?
Old 01-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Skilled

intresting- then maybe charles "drawing"(srry speling) theroy is wrong. so then where do we go here? if eveloutin is form a monkey there could be a probability of mutation also.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Enlightened User

Evolution by (natural/unnatural) selection happens all around us constantly. Where do you think antibiotic resistant superbugs like MRSA came from?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:44 PM

Evolution is a fact

The theory of evolution is as close to scientific fact as is possible. It is the organizing principle behind virtually all of modern biology. It is a fabulous concept when properly understood, and it is now applied to areas quite removed from biology. A great book on the topic, if you're interested, is called Darwin's Dangerous Idea.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Skilled

who is the book by
Old 01-05-2004, 11:20 PM

Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
who is the book by
Daniel Dennett.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Skilled

thnx,
Old 01-15-2004, 05:35 AM
Flablarghl

Evolution happens. The actual theory that we started as monkeys has yet to be proven either way. But, I happen to have a few interesting facts about Darwin's theory of evolution:

1) Darwin was trying to prove God's existance with it
2) Darwin renounced the theory on his death-bed

Go figure...
Old 01-15-2004, 05:28 PM

Darwin did not discover evolution, he proposed a mechanism by which it could occur called natural selection. Darwin had strong convictions and proponents, even on his death bed.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Send a message via AIM to Fauven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolriss
Evolution happens. The actual theory that we started as monkeys has yet to be proven either way. But, I happen to have a few interesting facts about Darwin's theory of evolution:

1) Darwin was trying to prove God's existance with it
2) Darwin renounced the theory on his death-bed

Go figure...
There's a difference between evolution and the theory of evolution.

In science, a theory is our attempt to describe an observable phenomenon. Something that exists. For example, we have the theory of gravity to explain something we know exists: gravity. The theory of evolution is an attempt to explain something that is an observable phenomenon: evolution. within the theory of evolution, there are "sub-theories". Such as the evolution of oak trees, the evolution of humans, the evolution of felines. Since I mentioned the evolution of humans, let me mention a common misconception.

You'll not find an evolutionary biologist on the planet who will tell you that humans evolved from monkeys. We didn't. Scientists don't say we evolved from monkeys, creationists do. How in the world this strawman created by creationists to make evolution look silly ever became so popular and actually became a mainstream idea among the layman, I'll never understand. Humans are apes. That's right, you're an ape! No, no . . . you are. Homo spapiens are one of the great apes. I promise. Humans and all of their other ape cousins evolved from a common ancestor, we didn't evolve from one of them (one of our fellow apes).

Moving on to Darwin. Another creationist lie is about Darwin. For some odd reason, they felt that if they could attack Darwin and hurt the image of the man, they'd also hurt the theory he proposed. Of course, they were wrong. Most of us aren't so stupid. Anyway, to get to my point, Darwin did not recant his theory on his death bed. That's right, never happened. It's another lie that somehow became popular. I'll never understand how this one happened, either.

Also, Darwin wasn't trying to prove God's existence. He thought that evolution made God's existence more apparent, but that wasn't his goal. If it were, he wouldn't have needed to be forced to publish his work (he was afraid of the reaction it would cause). He wrote Origin of Speicies for the purpose of knowledge. He wasn't trying to prove a god, he was trying to figure out how the world around him works.

"You haven't really lived, until you go downstairs for a fresh box of ballpoint pens and find a jar of formaldehyde with an owl-eye in it sitting on top of the Xerox machine. Man, that wakes you up." - Matt Babicki, in Stephen King's From a Buick 8
Old 01-16-2004, 12:24 AM
The original sun god

In college wilst talking with the religious students about biology and evolution I asked why evolution and creation could not exist in the same forum. Of course I got the usual rebuff of astonishment that I could think of the two in the same context. The question was why could it not have been so, that god created the proper environment for life to develop. He could have shaped and molded it to create whatever he wanted. He had unlimited time. A few billion years or more should be nothing to god.
This makes since to me and explains the irony of the physically impossible events expressed in the bible.
The bible really has to be allegorical. The hardest thing for me to beleive in all of this bible talk is that people take it literally. Not to say it can't be used as a device for devinity of ones soul but do people actually believe god created a man and then as an afterthought created a wo-man. These two people lived on earth with apple trees that they could not eat (?).
If I had evidence of this I would be knocking on doors doing everything in my power to save souls. The problem is people beleive blindly despite evidence to the contrary. I have heard or read many times in the last few days how some people are attacking religion and christianity in particular. This is actually not the case. These people (the alleged attackers) are only to trying to grasp a concept that makes little since to them and has "No documented historical facts". Actually the facts look the other way.
I have yet to hear solid proof of historical documented fact the bible was composed by the almighty himself/herself. So I tend to side with the human that had an increadible vision of how things might have occured.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Flablarghl

ok Fauven, allow me to rephrase what I meant:

It has yet to be proven that we weren't created homo sapiens sapiens.

Quote:
Also, Darwin wasn't trying to prove God's existence. He thought that evolution made God's existence more apparent
And these are near enough in intent for you to be playing in somantics - Darwin was christian, and he had training as a priest
Old 01-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Advanced

Send a message via AIM to Fauven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolriss
ok Fauven, allow me to rephrase what I meant:

It has yet to be proven that we weren't created homo sapiens sapiens.

And these are near enough in intent for you to be playing in somantics - Darwin was christian, and he had training as a priest
Darwin was a Christian, yes. In fact, evolutionists and atheists are known to make up their own lies as well. I've heard a few times that Darwin gave up his Christianity and, guess what, I've never once seen anything at all to suggest this. At any rate, just because Darwin was a Christian and felt that evolution was a shout of God's brilliance in now way indicates that his theory was in the least bit intended to be evidence of or to promote theism. That it challeneged convential Christian thinking was his motive for keeping his theory secrete, other than a small circle of friends.

There's no need for prove that we weren't created Homo sapiens sapiens. There's no evidence to suggest that we were created. However, there's more than enough evidence for an objective mind to see that modern humans are the result of an evolutionary process.

"You haven't really lived, until you go downstairs for a fresh box of ballpoint pens and find a jar of formaldehyde with an owl-eye in it sitting on top of the Xerox machine. Man, that wakes you up." - Matt Babicki, in Stephen King's From a Buick 8