FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > General Philosophy

Greetings!

General Philosophy Thought-provoking, philosophical discussions.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Veteran

a whirlpool or a whirlpooling?

Are we objects or an events?
There is a constant flow of new nutrients, air, liquid, cell and atoms coming in and out of me at all times. Is it the commonality of my appearance that makes me an object? Am i the same 'person' i was 10 years ago? Or am i an event, happening right now?
Are the atoms that have at one time made up 'me' more 'me' than atoms that will, but have yet to?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 AM
Veteran

Thats called Process Philosophy my man. See Whitehead. A. B. But what if there is only A? Without something with which A to be compared to (relativistic) to what does A 'owe' its existence. If you have A and B you have A, B, A's relationship to B and B's relationshp to A if they are not symmertric. The idea that a relationship is no less real than a 'physical thing'. If you think about it the things that make up atoms are quarks and electrons both 'point particles' - with wavelike properties. Physical/solid/fermion/Pauli exclusion particles can only really be said to exist macroscopically. At the supatbomic world things become 'fuzzy'.

In the design of computer networks - especially TCPIP networks, the nodes have physically distinct properties however, groups of them and connections between them take on unique properties or identities of their own. Same with neural networks in the brain.