FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > The Mind

Greetings!

The Mind Post your inquiries into the human mind. Topics include cognition, emotion, behaviors, and dreaming.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Adept

Is too much Knowledge A Bad Thing?.

Dont get me wrong , dont come at me with that knowledge is power crap but i've always wanted to have less of curiousity so i wouldnt have to question so much then actually find the answer then not being sastisfy with the knowledge i just aquired, i then question more. Serving my thirst of curiousity and knowing too much can be contaigous, i dont think im immune to knowledge it kinda transforms into a fear that is planted in my mind.
(^Sorry about the metaphor^)

Though i really appreciate if you can relate to me on this.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Supermarine

well if the knowledge your are talking of is powerless,
then its worthless

:-?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Veteran

The only reason that acquired knowledge is so unsatisfying to you is that you have undue expectations of it. What is it exactly that you expected of it? From your post, I gather that your expectation was that it would somehow change both you and your suroundings in at least some moderately significant way. However, it appears that you are now facing the most sad and devastating fact of all: true knowledge will increase your blood-pressure; it is poison to the system. Truly, there's no peace in it.

Maybe it's not necessary to understand the nature of reality in order to enjoy it. In fact, I would guess that being forgetful of our source is not a deviation from our proper path, but a prerequisite to meaningful experience. It's like a movie; in order to enjoy it, you have to come into an agreement with your rational self. So, you instruct your logical/rational self to suspend reality for a couple of hours so that you can fully experience the manufactured emotional content of the illusion playing out on the screen before you. I believe that human life is a macro version of just that.

As far as our true source, you don't have to think about that. If I may be presumptuous, allow me to spare you the frustration of a long and arduous circular path to the Source by telling you up front that it is not within you and it is not without you. That leaves only one place for it to be! "It" is "of" you! So, looking outside yourself for meaning or for the Source is taking the long way home. But don't despair; that's probably exactly what we intended for it/this to be. It's the only game in town . . . for the moment, anyway.

Maybe the impenetrability of infinite time and space was designed to eventually frustrate the mind and force it to turn inward in its search for explanations. If you were traveling at one hundred times the speed of light for the rest of your life, exploring far away galaxies at the push of a button (or Starship gas-pedal), the endlessness would soon get to you, and you’d be wanting to settle down on some nice, warm planet in some quiet little sector of the galaxy where you could get to know yourself and your Source.

But maybe that's not the object of the game; after all, you don't go on vacation to better understand where you came from! You're there to suspend reality in favor of the moment, allowing no peripheral . . . naggings to detract from the moment; like when you're on the Ferris Wheel, you're not thinking about the nuts and bolts of it at all--that would defeat the purpose. Alright, I take that back. Some people are thinking about the nuts and bolts of such things as Ferris Wheels. I know I do. Maybe we all do. :-)
Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Supermarine

ignorant bliss?

hmmm, no
i prefer the long road,
the truth
however painful,
leads to a greater source of peace of mind, than any ignorant bliss

think of the movies you see
people getting blown up, dying, crying,
all the movies i can recall are full of bitter tragedy

and think of the best movies
like bladerunner

full of existential angst and hopelessness
and yet
moving
Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Classic Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaabha View Post
Dont get me wrong , dont come at me with that knowledge is power crap but i've always wanted to have less of curiousity so i wouldnt have to question so much then actually find the answer then not being sastisfy with the knowledge i just aquired, i then question more. Serving my thirst of curiousity and knowing too much can be contaigous, i dont think im immune to knowledge it kinda transforms into a fear that is planted in my mind.
(^Sorry about the metaphor^)

Though i really appreciate if you can relate to me on this.
I totally relate with knowledge not being power.

What I can't relate with is when I do get the answer, I don't feel more curious. In fact I just feel more confident. Not confident in that I want to figure more answers, but when I do come across another question, I will have that answer too. It just doesn't happen all at once. Maybe you are pushing yourself too hard. Take one answer at a time, stop the questions until you hear the next question from an outside source. That way you give yourself a break and don't burn out, plus your personal questions are probably more intricate then what they should be. When you hear it questioned from outside, it's asked simpler and the answer will come faster.

Another thing I can sort of relate to is what Glen said, I laughed mao!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
true knowledge will increase your blood-pressure; it is poison to the system. Truly, there's no peace in it.
I have been told by some people, face to face, that I made their blood pressure rise. Once I did it twice in the same day. lol.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Why can't bliss be intellugent?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Eyes? I see no eyes.

Perfect example of too much knowledge: Seeing your parents doing it...with toys...and outfits.
Doesn't matter what sense you make of it, it isn't pleasant...for you...I hope.
You're supposed to be scarred, like touching a hot stove. Of course, burning your finger on the stove teaches you a straightforward lesson wheras catching your parents doing it ust leaves you wondering why if mom and dad love each other they're using whips and chains.

One thing you definitely have to be careful of is how easily you can be convinced. Be completely sceptical of everything if true knowledge is your thing. It won't be pleasant, in fact trying to respect everyone else's perspective while being vigilant not to flatter yourself on your ability to be objective just as part of having the right kind of attitude to acquire true knowledge will be enough to make you jaded, let alone how disillusioned you'll get with the knowledge you acquire.

Society preaches optimistic peaches and rainbows then gives you a shovel and a sac. Society is creating all kinds of great mental illnesses and loves good cognitive dissonnance. Take heart though that todays "cheerleader" music scene, the latest in pop-stars' hypersexualization of the youth, is written by bald fat guys in their 40's and 50's.

Stupidity is the universal norm and is what allows for the human experience. Rise above, make the sacrifices, try to be more and maybe you will...to your own detriment. A life you can't enjoy because of your principals is in dire straits.

Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live.