FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Politics > Politics and World Events

Greetings!

Politics and World Events A place for all you liberals, conservatives, and even radicals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
frish's Avatar
frish frish is offline
Bright, VHEMT Volunteer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 90069
Posts: 4,489
Send a message via MSN to frish Send a message via Yahoo to frish
War Porn - this is way disturbing, read at your own risk

This is the reality of bored soldiers, young people who have been ripped from their placid lives, still at the mercy of raging hormones, whose humanity has been stripped by "discipline" and the daily violence that surrounds them.

My apologies to warriors on this forum. However, "a few bad apples" is no excuse.
Frish


War Pornography
US soldiers trade grisly photos of dead and mutilated Iraqis for
access to amateur porn. The press is strangely silent.
By Chris Thompson

Published: Wednesday, September 21, 2005

If you want to see the true face of war, go to the amateur porn Web
site NowThatsFuckedUp.com. For almost a year, American soldiers
stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan have been taking photographs of dead
bodies, many of them horribly mutilated or blown to pieces, and
sending them to Web site administrator Chris Wilson. In return for
letting him post these images, Wilson gives the soldiers free access
to his site. American soldiers have been using the pictures of
disfigured Iraqi corpses as currency to buy pornography.

At Wilson's Web site, you can see an Arab man's face sliced off and
placed in a bowl filled with blood. Another man's head, his face
crusted with dried blood and powder burns, lies on a bed of gravel. A
man in a leather coat who apparently tried to run a military
checkpoint lies slumped in the driver's seat of a car, his head
obliterated by gunfire, the flaps of skin from his neck blooming open
like rose petals. Six men in beige fatigues, identified as US Marines,
laugh and smile for the camera while pointing at a burned,
charcoal-black corpse lying at their feet.

The captions that accompany these images, which were apparently
written by the soldiers who posted them, laugh and gloat over the
bodies. The soldier who posted a picture of a corpse lying in a pool
of his own brains and entrails wrote, "What every Iraqi should look
like." The photograph of a corpse whose jaw has apparently rotted
away, leaving a gaping set of upper teeth, bears the caption "bad day
for this dude." One soldier posted three photographs of corpses lying
in the street and titled his collection "DIE HAJI DIE." The soldiers
take pride, even joy, in displaying the dead.

This could become a public-relations catastrophe. The Bush
administration claims such sympathy for American war dead that
officials have banned the media from photographing flag-draped coffins
being carried off cargo planes. Government officials and American
media officials have repeatedly denounced the al-Jazeera network for
airing grisly footage of Iraqi war casualties and American prisoners
of war. The legal fight over whether to release the remaining
photographs of atrocities at Abu Ghraib has dragged on for months,
with no less a figure than Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
Richard Meyers arguing that the release of such images will inflame
the Muslim world and drive untold numbers to join al-Qaeda. But none
of these can compare to the prospect of American troops casually
bartering pictures of suffering and death for porn.

"Two years ago, if somebody had said our soldiers would do these
things to detainees and take pictures of it, I would have said that's
a lie," sighed recently retired General Michael Marchand, who as
assistant judge advocate general for the Army was responsible for
reforming military training policy to make sure nothing like Abu
Ghraib ever happens again. "What soldiers do, I'm not sure I can guess
anymore."

But for Chris Wilson, it's all in a day's work. "It's an unedited look
at the war from their point of view," he says of the soldiers who
contribute the images. "There's always going to be a slant from the
news media. ... And this is a photo that comes straight from their
camera to the site. To me, it's just a more real look at what's going on."

Wilson, a 27-year-old Web entrepreneur living in Florida, created the
Web site a year ago, asked fans to contribute pictures of their wives
and girlfriends, and posted footage and photographs bearing titles
such as "wife working cock" and "ass fucking my wife on the stairs."
The site was a big hit with soldiers stationed overseas; about a third
of his customers, or more than fifty thousand people, work in the
military. Wilson says soldiers began e-mailing him, thanking him for
keeping up their morale and "bringing a little piece of the States to
them." But other soldiers complained that they had problems buying
memberships to his service. "They wanted to join the site, the amateur
wife and girlfriend site," he says. "But they couldn't, because the
addresses associated with their credit cards were Quackistan or
something; they were in such a high-risk country that the credit card
companies wouldn't approve the purchase."

That was when Wilson hit upon the idea of offering free memberships to
soldiers. All they had to do was send a picture of life in Iraq or
Afghanistan, and they'd get all the free porn they wanted. All sorts
of images began appearing over the transom, but he dedicated a special
site to view the most "gory" pictures. Asked what he feels upon
viewing a new batch, Wilson says: "Personally, I don't look at it one
way or another. It's newsworthy, and people can form their own opinions."

One soldier, who would not reveal his name or unit, defended his
decision to post pictures of the dead, which he did after returning
home. "I had just finished watching the beheading of one of our
contractors that was taken hostage over in Iraq," he wrote in an
e-mail. "I figured since that was all over the Web, maybe these
pictures would make some potential suicide bomber think twice after
seeing what happens AFTER you pull the pin.

"What you interpret [as] maliciousness and bravado may be how
[soldiers] react to situations where they almost die or they just saw
their buddy get killed," he continued. "I will not defend the people
who have posted pictures of dead, innocent Iraqis, but in my opinion,
the insurgents/terrorists that try to kill us and end up getting
killed in return have absolutely no rights once they are dead.

"Obviously these postings do not help our public image at all," the
soldier concluded. "However, I believe the US has been far too
concerned about our public image as of late. ... We need to take a
much harsher stand against these Islamic fundamentalists and stop
giving them the royal American treatment. They need to be taught a
lesson, a lesson hard enough that they will think twice before waging
a jihad against us."

Wilson's Web site has made the news before but not for posting
pictures of murdered people. Last October, the New York Post reported
that the Pentagon was investigating him for posting naked pictures of
female soldiers in Iraq. After a few months, the Post reported that
the Pentagon had blocked soldiers in Iraq from accessing the Web site,
which had posted five more pictures of nude female soldiers, some of
whom had posed with machine guns and grenades. After the Post's
stories, Wilson says, he was bombarded with requests for interviews
from newspapers and radio stations. Even after he began posting
photographs of corpses late last year, media inquiries focused
exclusively on his nudie pics. It wasn't until reporters from the
European press contacted him last week that anyone took notice of
Wilson's snuff-for-porn arrangement with American troops.

"The soldiers thing, I think the Italians picked it up first," Wilson
says. "I've done interviews with the Italians, the French, Amsterdam.
... They were very critical, saying the US wouldn't pick it up,
because it's such a sore spot. ... It raises too many ethical
questions. ... I started to laugh, because it's true."

When contacted for this story, a White House spokeswoman said, "If we
have a comment, we'll call you back." They never did. But according to
Army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Chris Conway, Pentagon policy may be
ambivalent when it comes to soldiers posting pictures of mutilated war
victims. "There are policies in place that, on the one hand, safeguard
sensitive and classified information, and on the other hand protect
the First Amendment rights of service members," he says, adding that
field commanders may issue additional directives. "In plain English,
if you're on the job working for the Department of Defense, you
shouldn't be freelancing. You should be doing your duty."

If American soldiers in the field are always considered
representatives of their government, international law clearly
prohibits publishing and ridiculing images of war dead. The First
Protocol of the Geneva Conventions states that "the remains of persons
who have died for reasons related to occupation or in detention
resulting from occupation or hostilities ... shall be respected, and
the gravesites of all such persons shall be respected, maintained, and
marked." The first Geneva Convention also requires that military
personnel "shall further ensure that the dead are honorably interred,
if possible according to the rites of the religion to which they
belonged."

No one can reasonably expect a war without war crimes. But thanks to
modern communications technology, photographic evidence of its
brutality will always be with us. Roughly two hundred soldiers in Iraq
and Afghanistan document their experiences in online "milblogs," and
digital cameras are ubiquitous. No one can stop soldiers from posting
pictures of eviscerated corpses for all to see, and no one should ever
again be able to feign ignorance of war's human cost. Or so you'd
think. Yet in the days since the European press uncovered the
gore-for-porn story, not a single US print newspaper other than the
Express has touched it.

Representatives from Amnesty International and Human Rights First even
refused to comment, although both organizations ostensibly exist to
condemn just this kind of practice. Perhaps no one wants to give Chris
Wilson more publicity, or daily editors are too sensitive about being
viewed as unpatriotic. Or perhaps the story is just too ugly to
contemplate.

Americans have thousands of media outlets to choose from. But they
still have to visit a porn site to see what this war has done to the
bodies of the dead and the souls of the living. One of the pictures on
Wilson's site depicts a woman whose right leg has been torn off by a
land mine, and a medical worker is holding the mangled stump up to the
camera. The woman's vagina is visible under the hem of her skirt. The
caption for this picture reads: "Nice puss - bad foot."
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-26-2005, 03:49 PM
burgersoft777's Avatar
burgersoft777 burgersoft777 is offline
Hodie adsit, cras absit.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wiltshire England
Posts: 9,401
This is really very sad. It reminds me of young men in the west who used the breasts of indian women for tabbaco pouchs, or the ss gaurds makeing lamp shades out of skin stolen from dead jews. However it certinly brings the true cost of the war into many homes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2005, 03:53 PM
musicman30mm's Avatar
musicman30mm musicman30mm is offline
<insert cliche' here>
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,555
Blog Entries: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to musicman30mm
Quote:
"Obviously these postings do not help our public image at all," the
soldier concluded. "However, I believe the US has been far too
concerned about our public image as of late. ... We need to take a
much harsher stand against these Islamic fundamentalists and stop
giving them the royal American treatment. They need to be taught a
lesson, a lesson hard enough that they will think twice before waging
a jihad against us."
What a shame. Warriors are disgusting when without purpose or integrity. These soldiers have forefitted the "high road." This one in particular seems like a smart fellow who'd just been through a lot of scary crap.

I think we should all write persuasive letters to Chris Wilson at NowThatsFuckedUp.com.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2005, 05:22 AM
MPDC's Avatar
MPDC MPDC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 20,219
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to MPDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman30mm
What a shame. Warriors are disgusting when without purpose or integrity. These soldiers have forefitted the "high road." This one in particular seems like a smart fellow who'd just been through a lot of scary crap.

I think we should all write persuasive letters to Chris Wilson at NowThatsFuckedUp.com.
Why?

Isnt this part of the free market? He only allows for such a thing, because there is a market for it. Other people pay money to see the photos that the soldiers send in. He pays them in turn by allowing access to his amature porn site?

What is it that bothers you so? the fact that soldiers themself are profitting in some way?
They take photos of things they see. They provide them to others. The acts actually happend.
I seem to recall the phote of a viet cong being executed on national TV. Why was that photo so much different than what these soldiers are doing?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2005, 05:32 AM
Dragon's Avatar
Dragon Dragon is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,365
Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
Photoes what photoes...i wont believe till i see it, not that i want to, but to understand what this is all about i want to see if they are innocent photoes of random shots or well prepared shots/photos.

And why do they have to make a profit MP? What would be the reason? There is no reason to make a profit, its kinda sickening. But i wont know for sure till i see them and understand if they are explicit shots. I think if it were for info reasons like to show the side of the ugly part of the war is one thing, but to make a profit off of it is kinda sad and sickening. Just my opinion. How would you like to have your face plastered all over the net and wonder what your family is going threw to see that on the net....i would like to know....that would piss me off, just like the issue of whether we should show dead soldiers of ours...it should be up to the soldiers family of whether they should be shown.....talk about some weird shit....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2005, 05:45 AM
frish's Avatar
frish frish is offline
Bright, VHEMT Volunteer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 90069
Posts: 4,489
Send a message via MSN to frish Send a message via Yahoo to frish
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman30mm
What a shame. Warriors are disgusting when without purpose or integrity. These soldiers have forefitted the "high road." This one in particular seems like a smart fellow who'd just been through a lot of scary crap.

I think we should all write persuasive letters to Chris Wilson at NowThatsFuckedUp.com.
What would you have us persuade him to do?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2005, 06:01 AM
MPDC's Avatar
MPDC MPDC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 20,219
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to MPDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
And why do they have to make a profit MP? ..
Did you really ask that?

Dragon, what is the free market?
If there is a market for such things, Why do you think there wouldnt be some one filling that void.
Did you ever watch the faces of death videos?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Symptom777's Avatar
Symptom777 Symptom777 is offline
Symptom of the Universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 18,001
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDC
Why?

Isnt this part of the free market? He only allows for such a thing, because there is a market for it. Other people pay money to see the photos that the soldiers send in. He pays them in turn by allowing access to his amature porn site?

What is it that bothers you so? the fact that soldiers themself are profitting in some way?
They take photos of things they see. They provide them to others. The acts actually happend.
I seem to recall the phote of a viet cong being executed on national TV. Why was that photo so much different than what these soldiers are doing?
Sick MPDC, sick. SO if there's a market for four year old virgins, it's fine if its fulfilled? Or slaves, or livers, or human meat?
What kind of bullshit world is that you live in?
What about drugs, cop?
So when you're dead, it'd be quite ok for people to make gruesome pictures of you and sell them - what about you children, brothers, sisters, parents? All ok?
I hope in this case that you're trying to be argumentative and are not sincere, because although I generally dislike nearly everything you say, this goes beyond - it's totally despicable.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2005, 07:40 AM
musicman30mm's Avatar
musicman30mm musicman30mm is offline
<insert cliche' here>
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,555
Blog Entries: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to musicman30mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarFrish
What would you have us persuade him to do?
At best...

Feel guilty about soliciting this dishonor to soldiers.

I checked that page out (NowThatsFuckedUp.com). It is an open forum. Perhaps we could try to drum up some dissent there.

I guess I just think someone should represent dissaproval directly (assuming others actually dissaprove). Who knows? Maybe he'll make changes. If not there's nothing more we can or should do about it. He has as much right to do what he's doing as I have to openly disagree with him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2005, 07:48 AM
musicman30mm's Avatar
musicman30mm musicman30mm is offline
<insert cliche' here>
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,555
Blog Entries: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to musicman30mm
MPDC

Respect for the dead...
Respect for the enemy...
Fear of the American public's fickle and already turning public opinion...

The Vietnam media was no different. It helped stop that war. This kind of publicity could do the same.

I don't advocate the Vietnam War by the way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-27-2005, 04:03 PM
MPDC's Avatar
MPDC MPDC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 20,219
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to MPDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman30mm
MPDC

Respect for the dead...
Respect for the enemy...
Fear of the American public's fickle and already turning public opinion...

The Vietnam media was no different. It helped stop that war. This kind of publicity could do the same.

I don't advocate the Vietnam War by the way.
These are all personal views arent they?

Which is fine? Never been to the sight myself. I dont look at photos of death ect, unless they were ones I took. No need or reason to. However many people have an interest in such things. IM not sure I understand why it is so wrong. here I am a soldier in combat. I have just fought a platoon or whatever, I find the enemy I take photos of that enemy. Now here is a guy who wants to see my photos, and in trade he will allow me to see photos of woman. I like woman, so I allow such a thing. the people who goto the site are people interested in the same thing....

I understand YOUR choice, and applaud you for it. however Im just not sure that is the way everyone feels, and this site seems to back my thoughts. And for the record, I am sure there are other such sites.

What about traffic accidents? rotten.com has many photos of those. Should those be allowed? I think MAD uses nasty drunk driving photos for their cause. should that be allowed? Not much respect for the dead there? or is there?

Samurai used to take the heads of their fallen enemy back home. This was a show of great respect.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-27-2005, 04:16 PM
musicman30mm's Avatar
musicman30mm musicman30mm is offline
<insert cliche' here>
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,555
Blog Entries: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to musicman30mm
You're right. To each his own. I'm not suggesting sensorship. Just saying if you don't like it, speak up. Guess I don't like the idea of becoming a bible thumper pro-life fanatic type of nusance either though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-27-2005, 05:19 PM
MPDC's Avatar
MPDC MPDC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 20,219
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to MPDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman30mm
You're right. To each his own. I'm not suggesting sensorship. Just saying if you don't like it, speak up. Guess I don't like the idea of becoming a bible thumper pro-life fanatic type of nusance either though.
BRAVO. And thank you.
Always a pleasure my brother...

Youll be able to go back to your helos after the recruitment stent right?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-27-2005, 05:48 PM
musicman30mm's Avatar
musicman30mm musicman30mm is offline
<insert cliche' here>
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,555
Blog Entries: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to musicman30mm
Depends how long they keep me. If I suck at recruiting enough, and enduer enough ass chewings, I'll be back in a year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
ArghMonkey's Avatar
ArghMonkey ArghMonkey is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by frish
What would you have us persuade him to do?
Nice link, I saw this myself but figured MM and others wouldnt believe it so I didnt bother even posting it *LOL*
__________________
**************
*************************

Dragon busted on his lies ... HERE!

**
*******
**************
*******
**

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's - Mark Twain

*************************
**************
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Really Caused World War 2? Violet Spirit Human Society 58 09-07-2008 08:29 PM
HUMANE ?! Nenad General Philosophy 47 05-03-2008 10:08 AM
Bush to Terror Supporters: 'We Are at War' IamJoseph Politics and World Events 3 11-02-2007 04:10 AM
the fact is theboss Religion 218 11-10-2005 04:08 AM
Social Manipulation Violet Spirit Human Society 3 04-13-2004 07:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:05 AM.



Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
Hosted and Maintained by The IceStorm Network