FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Science/Technology > Biology and Genetics

Greetings!

Biology and Genetics Discussions on biology, evolution, genetics, health, and other related topics.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM
..i'm not a saint..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpie View Post
i was watching this thing in biology class about ultimate predators, and there was this crab that its main weopon is its claw, but not in the usual sense. it clicks its claw together so fast, it creates a sonic wave that is as hot as the sun!!!! crazy... ill try and find a link dont exactly know what to search for tho...
The Pistol Shrimp.. one of the most peculiar undersea animals ever, and the loudest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_shrimp
Quote:
The snapping shrimp competes with much larger animals, like the sperm whale and beluga whale, for the title of 'loudest animal in the sea'. The shrimp snaps a specialized claw shut to create a cavitation wave that generates acoustic pressures of up to 80 kPa at a distance of 4 cm from the claw. The pressure wave is strong enough to kill small fish.[7] It corresponds to a zero to peak pressure level of 218 decibels relative to one micropascal (dB re 1 μPa), equivalent to a zero to peak source level of 190 dB re 1 μPa at the standard reference distance of 1 m. Au and Banks measured peak to peak source levels between 185 and 190 dB re 1 μPa at 1 m, depending on the size of the claw.[8] Similar values are reported by Ferguson and Cleary.[9] The duration of the click is less than 1 millisecond.

The snap can also produce sonoluminescence from a collapsing cavitation bubble. As it collapses, the cavitation bubble reaches temperatures of over 5000 K.[10] The light is of lower intensity than the light produced by typical sonoluminescence and is not visible to the naked eye. It is most likely a by-product of the shock wave with no biological significance. However, it is the first known instance of an animal producing light by this effect.

Discovery Channel aired a series called 'Blue Planet' and one of them was dedicated entirely to deep sea life.. those fish are nuts, and most of them don't even look like they belong on this planet.
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence...oto/photo.html
If you're frightened of dying, then you're holding on. You'll see devils tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. -Forsaken, VNV Nation

"War is god's way of teaching Americans geography." -Ambrose Bierce
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Bah Humbug

Quote:
and most of them don't even look like they belong on this planet.
Although that is rather egotistical for us to say, since they've probably been here the longest, and we're relative newcomers to the planet.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM
..i'm not a saint..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ddity View Post
Although that is rather egotistical for us to say, since they've probably been here the longest, and we're relative newcomers to the planet.
I was just comparing them relatively to the rest of the species on the planet, not just humans.

I'd say humans are more alien than anything else on the planet though.

[edit to save us time of clicking on links for pictures, 0dd]
If you're frightened of dying, then you're holding on. You'll see devils tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. -Forsaken, VNV Nation

"War is god's way of teaching Americans geography." -Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by 0ddity; 05-14-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 AM
Eyes? I see no eyes.

Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:02 AM
the one who illuminates..

gaint jelly fish...