FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > Religion

Greetings!

Religion Discussions on religions, mysticism, and spirituality as well as opposing views such as agnosticism and atheism.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:35 AM
DevilMan's Avatar
DevilMan DevilMan is offline
TheDarkrSideofLight
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lakeland FL
Posts: 10
Post The Missing Gospels

So I was watching the history channel, and of course all this week have been shows about God and the Bible. Anyway, I was watching the tail end of a show "banned from the bible". It talked about the many different gospels written about the life of Jesus that were not allowed in the cannon. While excuses have been givin for this inaccuracy or that. The truth is that these gospels were not allowed in the bible for personal reasons. Some contained supposed words of Jesus that would prove very detrimental to catholic tradition and dogma. Things that would literally bring Catholicism to its knees. While others were banned simply because it was written by a women. I'm speaking of the gospel of Mary. While controversial it was said in the program that it would not have mattered if this gospel contained the most straight-fwd, middle of the road scriptures. It would still never have been allowed in the cannon. My question is this. With these missing gospels as just a small example. How can we claim that the Bible is the in fail able Word of God. When scholars hundreds of years ago Decided what went into it. Based largely on their own personal views. These people were shaping a religion to suit themselves. unfortunately, it worked and cannot be changed. I myself ,however, will not base my life on a collection of books some old bastards no different from me decided was the infallible Word of God. It is not,in fact, it may be these very bastards that made the bible as fail able as it is today....
__________________
Quote:
There is no heaven of glory bright. There is no hell where sinners roast. here and now is our day of torment! here and now is our day of joy! Here and now is our opportunity! choose ye this day, this hour, for no redeemer liveth!~Anton Lavey


I don't need no one to tell me about heaven. I look at my daughter, and I believe. I don't need no proof. When it comes to God and truth. I can see the sunset and I percieve.~LIVE
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-17-2006, 05:53 AM
Mike Dubbeld Mike Dubbeld is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,649
Thats right it is a big fat mess and no one in their right mind could believe it. Its not just what was omitted. It was highly exaggerated, deliberate lies can be found in the bible from pure sloppiness. The OT has a bunch of unethical characters attempting to save their own skins. How the bible was put together is FAR more interesting than what it says. It gives God a bad name. The bible is what you do when you believe in God and that is all there is in the west. It is more of an excuse than anything else. I don't doubt the well intentions of the people in the 3 Abrahamic religions as on a whole they are good people or the people that fabricated the bible. But I'm not to tolerate literal interpretations of the bible as they are little more than mythology/stories/mostly not true. The bible has caused a lot of harm in the world as well as good. From my perspective God is a synonym for truth and I find very little of that in the bible. People need to take classes on historical Jesus to see what sort of a mess the bible is. Or historical OT.

Mike Dubbeld
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2006, 07:18 AM
IamJoseph IamJoseph is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 22,527
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMan
: Things that would literally bring Catholicism to its knees.....

While you have honestly posed questionable factors, the main ones escape all questionings. How do christians reconsile that this period was written by jews, about jews, in a jewish land - and not in a jewish language? Here, there is no doubt if a contemporary description of events existed, it was of the gospels in hebrew. No jew would write of spiritual things in another language, using a latin name: there is no precedence of this for 2000 years. I have posted three links in other threads, which say the original hebrew gspels were destroyed. With this in mind, there can never be any credibility with any gospels not in the Hebrew - is that a reasonable view or am I missing something?

It is equally ubsurd to conclude that all scriptures from this region are non-credible, and this appears a mindset resultant from the lack of credence of christian and islamic scriptures. What is disregarded here, is that a report's vercacity must be based not on what are presented as miracles, but by its accuracy of verifiable factors: its totally ubsurd to ask for proof of a miracle! None of the historical factors of the OT have ever been disproven, despite these are among the most ancient writings in existence. IOW, if we cannot accept the Creation and flood reports, presented as miracles and thereby non-evidentiable, we cannot disregard the veracity of those items which can be evidenced - and here there are millions of historically verifiable specs and stats, literally, in every verse of the OT. Even a miniscule error would be picked out; this has not occured. This makes the OT totally credible, alongside its amazing specificity of detail, such as names, places, dates and the listing of generations of offspring with dob & dod's: this is akin to a science or judiciary document.

The other factor concerning both the OT and the Quran is, the lack of identifiable evidence of its writings, which depict little opted real life historical figures, names and places proof. If we have evidence of David (3000 years old), and of Joseph (3700 years old), and Abraham (3900 years old), along with their burial places, and when writings was an isolated practice - why do we not have the same some 2000 years later, when writings was commonplace? Where is mary and the gospel writers buried - did they know Hebrew - did they write anything - why is this not in the Scrolls parcel? Did those who wrote the Gospels call Jesus by that name, and why and when was this changed?

The term belief, nowhere given greater transcendency than in Christianity, while this is a nice sounding premise, has been used to justify the lack of any veracity. This gives christian belief a sense of surreal mystery, noting that christians are the world's foremost and most powerful religious group. If belief can prevail, regardless of veracity, then what is the point of debating it?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Symptom777's Avatar
Symptom777 Symptom777 is offline
Symptom of the Universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 18,001
Blog Entries: 12
How could you be sure that it wasn't god that caused the exclusion of these gospels, through influence on those scholars charge with creating the bible?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symptom777
How could you be sure that it wasn't god that caused the exclusion of these gospels, through influence on those scholars charge with creating the bible?
Because God keeps his word.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2006, 12:09 PM
IamJoseph IamJoseph is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 22,527
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symptom777
How could you be sure that it wasn't god that caused the exclusion of these gospels, through influence on those scholars charge with creating the bible?
Just for the Gospels - how about 2000 years of other Hebrew writings?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2006, 12:11 PM
IamJoseph IamJoseph is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 22,527
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
Because God keeps his word.

True, though belatedly. Israel is returned, after 2000 years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Symptom777's Avatar
Symptom777 Symptom777 is offline
Symptom of the Universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 18,001
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamaDullIdiot
Just for the Gospels - how about 2000 years of other Hebrew writings?
Yes, Idiot, I am sure that he excluded lots of those too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Symptom777's Avatar
Symptom777 Symptom777 is offline
Symptom of the Universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 18,001
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamaDullIdiot
True, though belatedly. Israel is returned, after 2000 years.
Is this a complaint?
Take it up with customer services, Idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Zhavric's Avatar
Zhavric Zhavric is offline
The one and only...
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symptom777
Is this a complaint?
Take it up with customer services, Idiot.
Dude, put him on ignore. The forums are far more enjoyable without having to wade through his retardation. I encourage everyone to do the same.
__________________
All of you are retarded.

ZHAVRIC
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-17-2006, 06:25 PM
culinarean culinarean is offline
Cultural Infidel
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,795
Send a message via MSN to culinarean
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMan
So I was watching the history channel, and of course all this week have been shows about God and the Bible. Anyway, I was watching the tail end of a show "banned from the bible". It talked about the many different gospels written about the life of Jesus that were not allowed in the cannon. While excuses have been givin for this inaccuracy or that. The truth is that these gospels were not allowed in the bible for personal reasons. Some contained supposed words of Jesus that would prove very detrimental to catholic tradition and dogma. Things that would literally bring Catholicism to its knees. While others were banned simply because it was written by a women. I'm speaking of the gospel of Mary. While controversial it was said in the program that it would not have mattered if this gospel contained the most straight-fwd, middle of the road scriptures. It would still never have been allowed in the cannon. My question is this. With these missing gospels as just a small example. How can we claim that the Bible is the in fail able Word of God. When scholars hundreds of years ago Decided what went into it. Based largely on their own personal views. These people were shaping a religion to suit themselves. unfortunately, it worked and cannot be changed. I myself ,however, will not base my life on a collection of books some old bastards no different from me decided was the infallible Word of God. It is not,in fact, it may be these very bastards that made the bible as fail able as it is today....
I caught part of that program as well.

The gospels omitted were mostly the gnostic texts. If you look at these, you will find that they don't agree with any of the earlier texts on the scriptural issues. If you do some research on the gnostic texts, most of them were written in the third century or later. They contradict the scriptures and even suggest a pantheon of gods (to a certain extent).

As for the Hebrew Gospel that Joe speaks of, I did a little google research on it and there is just one mentioned, the Gospel of Matthew. It was mentioned in the early church writings and from that, they can date it to around AD 40 give or take a few years.

The reason it doesn't survive is that the Hebrew language was only understood by the Jews, not the gentiles. Hebrew would have been a piss-poor language to write the scriptures in when Jews were not the target group for the NT. So Joe, it would have been highly irregular for the NT Gospels to have been written in a language that would not have been understood by the people that were supposed to be reading it. Your argument holds no water...
__________________
Evolution: From goo, to you, through the zoo...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-18-2006, 01:02 AM
IamJoseph IamJoseph is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 22,527
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symptom777
Yes, Idiot, I am sure that he excluded lots of those too.
Actually, NO! We know this because of the 1000s of Hebrew manuscripts in the Scrolls parcel - all dated around 300 BCE to 100 CE. It seems nothing was excluded - excepting only where the 4 gospels are concerned. It seems some don't want to see a contradiction - even when it smacks them on both cheeks. Ignore that!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-18-2006, 01:12 AM
IamJoseph IamJoseph is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 22,527
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarean

The gospels omitted were mostly the gnostic texts. .
No sir! The gospels omitted everything which was Hebrew, and submitted only what it wanted to. The term Gnostics is just another excuse invented against the blatant. There is nothing gnostic about a hebrew text from a hebrew speaking peoples in a hebrew land - and this is the missing factors here. Jesus did not speak latin, nor would he recognise this name if you called on him by it. It is better that you allow for another truth being possible here - before the land itself spits it out - and I've no doubt this will emerge soon. Have you even kept track of the 100s of falsehoods from Europe which have been overturned the past 100 years? The OT was hardly selected from a menu of 30 other books, and writen in a foreign language: in fact there are no other books.

Truth is an insoluble substance - it bobs up to haunt a distruth. It is encumbent on all of us to pursue truth.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-18-2006, 01:15 AM
IamJoseph IamJoseph is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 22,527
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symptom777
Is this a complaint?
Take it up with customer services, Idiot.
That seems Eurabia's plight. Take it up with your UN, smart one.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 AM
IamJoseph IamJoseph is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 22,527
Thumbs up

The missing Gospels are, in chronological and alphabetical order, as follows:


THE HEBREW GOSPELS.


Put that on ignore. Maybe it will go away!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Respect Religious Freedom...and MAD1 Religion 1409 06-06-2009 03:28 AM
Who wrote the bible? Galphanore Religion 74 05-26-2008 02:44 PM
The Myth of Jesus Christ- NITHIN.S nkgrock Religion 46 05-21-2008 07:07 PM
Part Of Universe's Missing Matter Discovered By XMM-Newton X-Ray Observatory NewsFeed Space and Time News Feeds 0 05-07-2008 01:42 AM
Gospels and Gnosticism Mike Dubbeld Religion 25 04-25-2006 06:11 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:37 PM.



Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
Hosted and Maintained by The IceStorm Network