FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Culture > Off-topic

Greetings!

Off-topic Post your random thoughts and ideas here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Interhuman Symbiosis

Looks like Big Cat was just trying to do a hit and run on you Meme - I personally think you scared him off good and proper, your kung fu is strong.

Thucydides
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Supermarine

You're very brave Meme,
I just find that a forum with moderators, ends up being ... well ...
moderate - at best.

Frostlcloud has a better method - those who cannot laugh at the likes of symptom
- run for the hills
- it keeps the numbers down, saves on bandwidth
- and he ensures nobody who takes things too seriously will survive.

and its helluva fun to do things like this

with out fear of being moderated
Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 PM
But the cat himself knows

It would appear that the problem that affected FrostCloud during these past few days also had the effect of deleting the new posts of this thread, which happened to include Burkhill admitting to baiting.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Interhuman Symbiosis

LOL - It's true folks - I did!

So very strange that those particular posts disappeared......no??

Thucydides
Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Pseudo-skeptical Spanker!

From MEME to YOU YOU!

Well what an adventure Meme, a great start but I'm afraid it was all too predictable in the end.

I'm sure you are not taking it all too seriously of course.

At a guess, you probably fell foul of a forum donor, you could tell who they were by a banner on their profile when they posted a while ago.

Now I don't want to be all to conspiratorial with you, but they removed those banners so you don't know who forum donors are anymore. I know posters from the 9/11 forum like Mr Mackey, TAM and our old friend Gravy were all paid up members.

The JREF Forum is something of a joke, you have to remember that as well as being a forum it's is a "not-for-profit organization" (Clever use of words here!) in other words a business.

You too could join them if you like?

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/support-us.html

Starting at $25 if you're a student!

You could get a phone call from Mr Randi himself for $2,500 or you could splash out really splash out if you donated $25,000...You get a personal meeting with him.

And knowing that your hard earner cash is going to be spent on promote "critical thinking".

Apparently! :toofunny

I think the moral to the story of your adventures is that it's a funny old world in the land of JREF!

I hope the adventures continue!
"That he says the plane hit the Pentagon and he was yet to be inside the PEOC"

Cheney...
"I went down into what's call a PEOC, the Presidential Emergency Operations Center...But when I arrived there within a short order, we had word the Pentagon's been hit."
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Advanced toddler

My newest JREF adventure

The adventures have continued. Would you believe it! I've had yet another infraction since I've been back. I'll tell you about the latest adventure:

Well, in between enjoying reading some decent threads, and the conversation I had with one of the board members who has more class in their little finger than some of the loutish element and the one or two screeching repulsive creeps who swooped down like harpies to try to get at me have in the whole of their bodies, and having a couple of other reasonable conversations, we have: ... ...

Guess what: An attempted repeat of the Stundie Awards!

Oh yes! Inevitably I got involved. But this time, the person who wanted to start them wanted them to be for science. He decided to call them the Banana Awards.

In the thread where he first brought up the idea, one person said he thought they were a lousy idea, just an excuse for moderately less moronic people than average to pat themselves on the back about how smart they thought they were. I said I agreed with him, and that it might be fun to try to actually get in the finals of the new award. I said I was going to try.

Well, the Stundie/Banana man started his award nomination thread in the science forum. The man who'd said he thought the awards were just an excuse for people to make themselves feel clever at the expense of others posted, saying he was going to mock the banana man till he gave up the idea of the awards. He said he expected it to take a long time.

Then I started my attempts to win the award.

I made some jokes about science, and linked to a thread where I'd made loads more; but I was told that people who tried to win the award with deliberate fallacies were disqualified from the Stundie Awards, so that would probably happen here. The Banana man agreed and said it would.

So I tried to get in the final with something serious I'd said.

You can read the thread if you like. Unfortunately, only JREF members will be able to see the joke thread I linked to in it, because it's in a members only area. But if you like, I could quote some of the jokes here.

Someone who loves the Stundies posted something serious about how someone else had said something stupid so they ought to be nominated for the award. This Stundie Award-loving person happens to have a stupid signature, which makes the allegation that a certain person allowed a young mother to die. It gives a link, and if you follow it, you realise that the person didn't allow someone to die at all, but simply posted a few thoughts about a hypothetical case where someone was seriously ill on an Internet forum, and happened to be wrong!

I didn't like the fact that someone should be holding someone else up to the public glare as stupid by nominating them for an award, especially when they had such an awful signature themselves. So I nominated their signature for the award!

Some twit reported me for doing so, and a moderator edited my post and gave me an infraction for being off-topic! I got annoyed and commented on it, and the Stundie Award-lover told me they weren't the one to report me so I shouldn't be annoyed with them. Then another moderator weighed in and warned us to stop discussing mockery in that thread because it was off-topic. Not mockery itself, just the discussion of whether it was a good thing. She told us to start a new thread if we wanted to discuss that.

Then we had the episode with The Rogue Moderator! Most moderators are polite. But not this one! This one is another Stundie Award-lover.

The person who'd said he'd mock the Banana man nominated Mr Banana for something he'd said in another thread, saying it was stupid. That was his way of mocking him. Some people disagreed that it was stupid. Actually, it probably wasn't. But the main person who disagreed was the rogue moderator, who had a discussion with him about the science involved. The person mocking the Banana man started just playing around, but the rogue moderator thought he was being serious for a while. He said things like,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles the Rogue Moderator
Except that your understanding is clearly complete bollocks. ... This is an incredibly basic concept, so it seems rather odd that you would fail to understand it. You do understand how things like power stations and motors work right? ...

If you consider things like chemical energy, gravitational potential energy and various other forms of energy that tend to be fairly well understood by high school children to be "indescribable", then yes. Although I'm honestly not sure why you're so desperate to keep digging yourself deeper here. ...

Yes, that's the idea. We take some form of energy and convert it into another form of energy. Congratulations! You've just about reached the level of understanding of an 11 year old. ...

I must say though, it's very considerate of you to post directly in this thread rather than making people go to the trouble of nominating you. I haven't seen someone fail at science this badly since Malcolm Kirkman claimed air pressure was the source of gravity. ...

So there's no such thing as chemical energy? Wow, I guess we should let the industrial revolution know that coal and oil don't actually work. ...

Yes. I admit I began by mocking you because I thought you were genuinely stupid, and I'm just a bad person. However, since it's now clear that you're simply trolling, insults are probably the most appropriate response.

In the interests of being educational though, I should probably point out that there hasn't actually been a single ad hominem attack aimed at you. Insults are not ad hominem. If you're going to pretend to be the martyr, at least try to get it right.
The Stundie Award-lover with the appalling signature reported the discussion to the moderators, saying it deserved its own thread, because it was a discussion of science not part of the nominations. It got moved to its own thread. The Banana man mocker wasn't happy. The rogue moderator got away with everything he'd said.

A couple of people read the new thread and said it seemed weird because it didn't seem to be a serious scientific discussion. I said the Banana man mocker might have been trying to win the award deliberately like me. It turned into a discussion of whether mockery was a good idea. Of course, the whole discussion had started as a protest against mockery - it was never meant to be a serious scientific discussion. But the moderators took the discussion of mockery out of the thread and hurled it into the isolation of the Abandon All Hope forum, rarely to be seen again! The Banana man mocker wasn't happy! He said the thread had become pointless without the discussion of mockery.

Anyway, it seems that many of the posters in the science forum are of a higher class than those who enjoy mocking people in the Stundie Awards, because not many people have posted in the thread at all. Only a few have been nominated. No one's posted in it for quite a few days, in fact, and it's dropped to page 3 of the forum.

I have special plans for what I'm going to do if someone bumps it back up to page 1. They should be good fun.
Praise
Mental health
Old 06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Advanced toddler

How dare you tarnish the glorious beauty and grace of this thread by saying such things!

... Oh, those posts have gone. Whoosh! Just like that.
Praise
Mental health
Old 06-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Supermarine

I see the Jref crowd is gathering clicks at a great rate.
I'm sure they're very happy having 7 trillion visitors.
They must feel so clever.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Newb

I realized only now, and I believe that such a trifle. I was actually going to remove everything above the dotted line than the image of the ball, but when I took the time to write, I decided to give their lives. I am not so kind at various levels? I am sorry to hurt your feelings when unecessarily long beaten
Old 08-20-2020, 07:26 PM
Newb

Send a message via ICQ to Charlesmox Send a message via AIM to Charlesmox Send a message via Yahoo to Charlesmox Send a message via Skype™ to Charlesmox
My latest adventures on the JREF Forum a dastardly tale

Yep, Russian army is already near the White House

USA has military budget more then all other countries in the world. Why do you so afraid old rusty russian bombers?
Old 08-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Advanced toddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesmox View Post
Yep, Russian army is already near the White House
What exciting news! Perhaps the Russian and American armies are on an exchange trip, like the ones teachers organise for school pupils, only it's with armies instead, so the American army's currently on an educational trip to Moscow.
Praise
Mental health
Old 02-21-2021, 02:51 PM
Skilled

I gave up trying to post there. Whenever I started getting the upper hand in a debate, the moderator would simply delete the post. Here's an example.
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...=1#post6082685