FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > Ethics and Morality

Greetings!

Ethics and Morality What's right and what's wrong? Discuss issues on ethics, morality, and justice.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Believer

Are There Any Moral Absolutes?

Is there any action that you would say is totally and unequivocally wrong? And, if so what is your basis for that decision?

Is there truly any absolute morality? Is it able to be put into practice? Do absolutes exist?

If there really are no absolutes; are you absolutely sure?
“…for the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”
Robert Jastrow
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho.......

Send a message via MSN to Sed Send a message via Yahoo to Sed
I'm absolutely sure that there isn't any absolute since absolute only exsists in theory just like the absolute zero. The only thing absolute is unabsolute (did I type it absolutely right?)
Old 12-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen
Is there any action that you would say is totally and unequivocally wrong? And, if so what is your basis for that decision?

Is there truly any absolute morality? Is it able to be put into practice? Do absolutes exist?

If there really are no absolutes; are you absolutely sure?
There are actions which are absolutely wrong and right, but it is important to understand that actions take place in circumstances. Saying that killing people is absolutely wrong is highly simplistic. You have to be more specific. For example, killing someone who would otherwise kill many people is right. But even this is not specific enough, because what if those people, in turn are about to go out and kill even more people? So yes, moral absolutes exist, but only in very specific situations. If we are given enough details about any situation, we can decide, absolutely, what the right and wrong things to do are.

Of course, I do not mean absolute in terms of unable to be refuted, or provable. I mean absolute in that there is no relativity involved.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:39 PM
<I'm with her.

Quote:
Do absolutes exists?
The only absolutes are death and the consequences brought on by our own decisions.

As far as the argument between absolute right's and wrong's--what Sed said.
Michaelangelo: I don't get it.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:22 AM
contagion

Quote:
Sin.

Observation.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis
Sin
Define sin.

Quote:
A healthy, strapping young man gets on to a bus. There are no seats left. He roughly grabs a frail old woman, throws her out of her seat and sits down. Basis? Can anyone seriously say that that is NOT wrong?
Old 12-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho.......

Send a message via MSN to Sed Send a message via Yahoo to Sed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchforkpat
A healthy, strapping young man gets on to a bus. There are no seats left. He roughly grabs a frail old woman, throws her out of her seat and sits down. Basis? Can anyone seriously say that that is NOT wrong?
That's a wrong action I'd say. It is just my intuition of justice, if I may say so, that say it.
We categorize our actions into a bad or good groups by using our intuition of justice or perhaps a little bit of feeling. It is very easy if the case is in the black and white area like yours Pitchforkpat. Then it can be difficult for us to tell if the case is in the gray area.
What if someone lies in order to save others live? A white lie. Sorry, I don't have a good example. Anyone has?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:20 AM
myles

I've heard the argument that "absolute" right(s) and wrong(s) are what is common among all belief systems. Partly, this seems intuitively accurate but much moralistic relativism is obvious. Maybe there are absolute right(s) and wrong(s) among localized communities of agreement. However, I would argue that all communities have very similar understandings of pain, fear, happiness, anger, love, etc.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:40 AM
contagion

Sin is that action, or inaction that takes us away from God.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Integral Imperfect Soul

Send a message via AIM to Long Wang
Such morals that exists as absolute must have a some transcendental approach to it.

Looking at morality, people must have a certain influence to judge what is negative and positive. There is not proof of any absolute moral because we have to know that such morality must have inheritance.

If there are absolute morals, then there must be an absolute state of consciousness that is independent of all experiences. It then musn't have any conditions. But the morals today reflect only the examples, not the idea of morality.

If there are absolute morals, then there must be an absolute positive or an absolute negative. Then every moral must support the idea of the absolute moral.

But this is somewhat skeptical.....
Old 12-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis
Sin is that action, or inaction that takes us away from God.
Then how can sin possibly be a moral absolute when many people don’t believe in a god, and there are many gods to choose from? This is contrary to logic.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Integral Imperfect Soul

Send a message via AIM to Long Wang
We can only speak of god figuratively to morals.

In order to have absolute morality, there must be no influence from whoever.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:11 PM
contagion

Then they live in a state of sin. It doesn't make it any less absolute.

But this kind of trespass can be forgiven.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:10 AM
myles

Maybe this discussion can be given some perspective if we replace the idea of "man" or "human" with something that likewise "exists" in this world. Take a community of ants for instance. Are any ant-behaviors sinful or the opposite of sinful for that matter?

You can even take a "being" more proximal to human, such as the apes. Are there any ape behaviors which are sinful/opp. of sinful?

Perhaps answering these questions can offer some undersrtanding here. Absolutely, some rogue or maybe "defective" (relative to the social norm) ants or apes can do "things" which are counter-productive to community, right? But can these things be considered sins, and if so, by who? ...by humans perceiving the ants and apes, or by the ants and apes themselves?

Perhaps sin (and it's opp.) is tied to higher-level rationalism and logic...which if I may, might be given to us by GOD.

Just an idea...
Old 12-20-2004, 01:50 AM
<I'm with her.

If the variable isn't unequivocally, universally regarded, enforced or experienced, it cannot be considered absolute. Nothing built upon the foundation of human reasoning, morality, logic, is absolute because they're only ideas. Everything absolute is directly connected to nature itself, not our preconcieved laws of right and wrong. It will be something you cannot question or trace back to a human manipulated origin, nor is something we can control. It just is.
Michaelangelo: I don't get it.