FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > Religion

Greetings!

Religion Discussions on religions, mysticism, and spirituality as well as opposing views such as agnosticism and atheism.

Old 04-18-2004, 03:39 AM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to the shame
christianity is a cult

can you christians out there please tell me how you justify your beliefs as a "real" religeon and not just a cult--and for that matter can any follower of any denomination that worships something other then themselves tell me how their denomination is not a cult

please, think about this logically, and dont give me your beliefs as fact(i.e. God said so, so it must be true)..----
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2004, 05:20 AM
Random Acts of Idiocy

Send a message via MSN to faerie
First of all, please define your perception. How do you define a 'real religion' and a cult? If you would be so kind as to clarify, then I will gladly answer.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to the shame
a cult is a group of people who worship an idol out of a love that they where tought to believe ( how can you love something you've never met or even seen) or a fear that was installed in them through scare tactics (i'm not sure but wheren't you the person who wrote the post about the video that you saw in church that was filled with images of pagans killing and raping innocent people--if this wasnt you who wrote this then just disregard it)--and because of there idol worship they attempt to destroy everything that they see as evil--even if this evil includes entire races of people////////a "real" religion is a belief system formed out of pure love for something because one agrees with it--it can then become an idol--looked up to not out of blind faith but rather out of mutual devotion and a mutual philosophy--but even though one agrees with an idol they should not worship them in any way, but rather see them with eyes that are unclouded so that they can see both the truths and faults of their idol--also a real religeon can also be a belief system that doesnt even have an idol but rather loves a thing because they agree with it--this thing can be spirtual just like a cult, but these spiritual undertones are not used as absolutes that are imposed on others and used in a destructive manner--so to sum up--- CULT=spirtual worship that leads to destruction of what is misunderstood or found to be wrong RELIGION=mutual devotion between believers and their spirtual foundation that they argree with--or a mutual devotion between believers and their idol
Old 04-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shame
a cult is a group of people who worship an idol out of a love that they where tought to believe ( how can you love something you've never met or even seen) or a fear that was installed in them through scare tactics (i'm not sure but wheren't you the person who wrote the post about the video that you saw in church that was filled with images of pagans killing and raping innocent people--if this wasnt you who wrote this then just disregard it)--and because of there idol worship they attempt to destroy everything that they see as evil--even if this evil includes entire races of people////////a "real" religion is a belief system formed out of pure love for something because one agrees with it--it can then become an idol--looked up to not out of blind faith but rather out of mutual devotion and a mutual philosophy--but even though one agrees with an idol they should not worship them in any way, but rather see them with eyes that are unclouded so that they can see both the truths and faults of their idol--also a real religeon can also be a belief system that doesnt even have an idol but rather loves a thing because they agree with it--this thing can be spirtual just like a cult, but these spiritual undertones are not used as absolutes that are imposed on others and used in a destructive manner--so to sum up--- CULT=spirtual worship that leads to destruction of what is misunderstood or found to be wrong RELIGION=mutual devotion between believers and their spirtual foundation that they argree with--or a mutual devotion between believers and their idol
I don't know where you get your definitions from, but they are certainly .. different. I'm content to stick by the general definition of both religion and cult; I am a happy Christian; wether you call my faith a religion or a cult is your business... but I suggest you go with the more popular definitions, or else be prepared to explain yourself over and over...
Old 04-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Cultural Infidel

Send a message via MSN to culinarean
Quote:
can you christians out there please tell me how you justify your beliefs as a "real" religeon and not just a cult--and for that matter can any follower of any denomination that worships something other then themselves tell me how their denomination is not a cult

please, think about this logically, and dont give me your beliefs as fact(i.e. God said so, so it must be true)..----
Most christians sects are real religions, but there are some cultists out there.

The same is true of all religions and the same anaology can be made with non-religions.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Follower
Quote:
www.dictionary.com

cult n

a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

b.The followers of such a religion or sect.

2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.

There are more definitions of "cult" at this website, but I would say that according to the ones stated above, Christianity is a cult according to definitions 2 and 3.

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. (John Piper)

The church is a whore, but she is my mother.(Martin Luther)

I find your lack of faith-disturbing.(Darth Vader)

The church is a hospital for the sick, not a museum for the saints. (unknown)
Old 04-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Proud

Send a message via MSN to jpie
and according to the top one, come on, god is charismatic
Old 04-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Berzerker

Its all relative. What people dont understand is that one person's religion is another's sect. In the eyes of the people, the majority becomes the religon while the minority becomes the cult. Mind you that many early scientists were correct when the rest of the world denied thier ideas. Although there were also many lunatics that thought that they were correct and turned out wrong, we, as a people, cannot immeadiatly say that cults are in the wrong, unless they break the rules set by the community.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:31 AM
..i'm not a saint..

I think the difference lies in the perception of the person speaking of the difference between a cult and religion.

Obviously they are not mutually exclusive terms, because the definition of cult includes variations of the word "religion" over and over.

Could it be that a religion is a cult when someone doesn't agree with the ideas of the religion/cult?
If you're frightened of dying, then you're holding on. You'll see devils tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. -Forsaken, VNV Nation

"War is god's way of teaching Americans geography." -Ambrose Bierce
Old 04-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Cultural Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpie
and according to the top one, come on, god is charismatic
It sounds like no matter what is said, you believe that all christianity is a cult. Therefore, you don't want our answers, just someone to agree with you.

Well, here goes...

If that is what you believe, then it is correct for you. As far as you see, all religions are a cult and have no basis.

So I agree with your interpretation as far as it applies to you. As for the rest of society, most of them see it differently.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Proud

lol, i was jokin, i thort that was a laughin face, wait ill try a few that mite be it (lol) () naa i duno how to do one, sum 1 tell me!
Old 04-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Cultural Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpie
lol, i was jokin, i thort that was a laughin face, wait ill try a few that mite be it (lol) () naa i duno how to do one, sum 1 tell me!
I looked at the content of your other posts to make a judgement about the one I quoted. My statement was actually in reply to the conglomeration of all your posts, I just happened to click the reply on that particular one.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Upgraded

Ummm...In the "Go Advanced" area, you should be able to pull up a list of all of the smileys and simply click one to add. Does this help, jpie?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Proud

cheers spyne <-- thats the one
Old 04-20-2004, 03:14 AM
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Amergain
Quote:
can you christians out there please tell me how you justify your beliefs as a "real" religeon and not just a cult--and for that matter can any follower of any denomination that worships something other then themselves tell me how their denomination is not a cult. please, think about this logically, and dont give me your beliefs as fact(i.e. God said so, so it must be true)..----
I understood that a religion in the true sense is a belief system with or without a God and not involving the worship of or absolute authority of a human being.

By this (my own criteria), Judaism is a religion. There is a God, and the best humans can do is receive revelation and pass on prophesies. Deism, Buddhism, and Hinduism may be in this category.

Christianity is definitely a cult since it admittedly worships a human being, Jesus. Although it follows the authority of Paul of Tarsus in a cult of personality that also is typically cultish. Jesus didn't even start Christianity as we know it today, Paul did. It is a cult of Paul.

Islam is harder to define. It is a religion in the sense of One God, Allah. Yet the absolute authority of Muhammad is very much like Paul of Tarsus. He and Paul were more than prophets, and actual starters of new cults.

Amergain
Religion is an irrational meme complex, a computer virus of the brain. It inhibits rational, analytical, and sceptical screening (Rubbish filter). The results are gullibility, superstition, paranoia, hate, and violence.