FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > Religion

Greetings!

Religion Discussions on religions, mysticism, and spirituality as well as opposing views such as agnosticism and atheism.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Proud

Send a message via MSN to jpie
the rest of the universe

why did god create the rest of the universe? like the stars that we would have to travel many times faster than the speed of light to get to. seems like a pointless thing for god to do
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Go

No more pointless than the act of building a theater 12 billion years before the play you've written begins.

Yes, the ways of the Lord are truly mysterious indeed... and often times, it would seem, pointless, as well.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:47 PM
The original sun god

During the original concept of god the people knew nothing of light years or galaxies or gravity. They wrote into words only that which they knew in order to create the laws of their god. It made sense a long long time ago.

Religion already has it's hands full trying to refute or blend in all types of accurate scientific information that completely contradicts their teachings. It is just going to get worse for them.

The comment "The ways of the lord are mysterious" points to the fact that if the dogma don't fit just get mysterious. I think people are getting smarter and realizing religious doctrine makes little sense when compared to known fact.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpie
why did god create the rest of the universe? like the stars that we would have to travel many times faster than the speed of light to get to. seems like a pointless thing for god to do
Aren't you rather assuming things based on our current understanding ? As in, how fast we might be able to travel ?
Old 04-23-2004, 01:16 AM
Go

Quote:
Aren't you rather assuming things based on our current understanding ? As in, how fast we might be able to travel ?
I can answer that: No.

Why do I know the answer is "no"? I know it because he said Man would have to travel "many times faster than the speed of light" to get to much of the rest of the universe.

Our "current understanding" holds that this kind of speed is impossible to obtain.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go
I can answer that: No.

Why do I know the answer is "no"? I know it because he said Man would have to travel "many times faster than the speed of light" to get to much of the rest of the universe.

Our "current understanding" holds that this kind of speed is impossible to obtain.
Our "current understanding" is exactly what I am talking about; and while speeds above the speed of light are held to be impossible, TRAVEL faster than light in NORMAL SPACE is not. Don't confuse the two.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Go

Quote:
TRAVEL faster than light in NORMAL SPACE is not [impossible]...
Huh? "Normal space" -- what's that supposed to mean?

Nothing can "travel" faster than the speed of light in any medium.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Veteran

You misunderstand the difference between travel, speed, and distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go
Huh? "Normal space" -- what's that supposed to mean?
I was referring to various theories about bending/ folding space; worm holes; teleportation; and other phenomena that may or may not provide 'faster' means of getting from point 'A' to point 'B'.

The science fiction of today may be tomorrow's science fact... which is why I said, "current understanding".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go
Nothing can "travel" faster than the speed of light in any medium.
But something might travel faster in one medium than light can travel in another. I understand 'light' has been experimentally 'slowed down' to something like 17 m/s; who knows what else we will find out about light, and travelling ?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:17 AM
Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA
During the original concept of god the people knew nothing of light years or galaxies or gravity. They wrote into words only that which they knew in order to create the laws of their god. It made sense a long long time ago.

Religion already has it's hands full trying to refute or blend in all types of accurate scientific information that completely contradicts their teachings. It is just going to get worse for them.

The comment "The ways of the lord are mysterious" points to the fact that if the dogma don't fit just get mysterious. I think people are getting smarter and realizing religious doctrine makes little sense when compared to known fact.
It still makes sense today to believe in God. What doesn't make sense is evolution (the atheists religion). That theory is constantly having to be changed because there is new and increasing evidence against it. Why do you think there is such a thing as neo-Darwinism? Need evidence? See http://www.answersingenesis.com

What is it to truly know something? How do you know anything to be completely true? How can the theories of scientists about the past, which no one has seen, be taken as an absolute truth when no one knows what happened? The one fact that we all know is that we are alive, who can dispute this? Unless, of course, you are a Creation Scientist, then you believe that we are not really here at all.

Today's accurate scientific information is tomorrow's absolute hogwash, the theories change so much and so quickly that even what is accurate could be way off the mark.
“…for the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”
Robert Jastrow
Old 04-23-2004, 03:51 AM
Advanced

[quote=jpie]why did god create the rest of the universe? like the stars that we would have to travel many times faster than the speed of light to get to. seems like a pointless thing for god to do[/QUOTE

jpie, why must everything revolve around the human race.
Human's are not even the most interesting or unique of the creatures here on earth.
Mayhaps GOD, has created many other such entity's spread out over a vast expanse, and just maybe finding each other would be a simple thrill for GOD.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:38 AM
I believe in Golf Gods

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen
It still makes sense today to believe in God. What doesn't make sense is evolution (the atheists religion). That theory is constantly having to be changed because there is new and increasing evidence against it. Why do you think there is such a thing as neo-Darwinism? Need evidence? See http://www.answersingenesis.com

The rest was clipped......
I read ONE article from this site and about died laughing my butt off. This is not evidence, this is apologetics and they clearly state that. Its for christians that have had a couple of questions thrown at them and these guys try to answer them to help them "keep the faith". Anyone who seriously needs real answers will continue to do research on both sides of the fence and will eventually see that science is the answer.

Here's a link to the only article I read (so far, and laughed at) http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/2.asp about Dinosaurs and the bible. They obviously have no clue about the dating process and in some cases it appears they are out right lying.

The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad. -Nietzsche

Art raises its head where creeds relax. -Nietzsche
Old 04-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Symptom of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen
...That theory is constantly having to be changed because there is new and increasing evidence against it. Why do you think there is such a thing as neo-Darwinism? ...
Changing, adapting, replacing theories. That's called science.
Compare and contrast with superstition, blockheadedness, idiocy, and cretinism.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Cultural Infidel

Send a message via MSN to culinarean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asar'el
Our "current understanding" is exactly what I am talking about; and while speeds above the speed of light are held to be impossible, TRAVEL faster than light in NORMAL SPACE is not. Don't confuse the two.
I have to refute the wording here buddy.

In normal space, the speed of light is the limit. That limit can not be broken because as one's speed increases, time slows down to the point of time standing still if we ever reach this speed. Also, mass increases as speed increases.

Therefore, If we actually reach the speed of light, then:

1. Time stands still and we don't go anywhere.
2. We become infinetly massive.

The only way for us to travel faster than light is to somehow bend space or travel in a medium outside of normal space. Then, by the fact that we are covering more ground at a lower speed, the percieved speed based on the time taken and our starting/destination points may seem to be faster than the speed of light by traveling slower than the speed of light.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Cultural Infidel

Send a message via MSN to culinarean
[quote=Fletcher]
Quote:
why did god create the rest of the universe? like the stars that we would have to travel many times faster than the speed of light to get to. seems like a pointless thing for god to do[/QUOTE

jpie, why must everything revolve around the human race.
Human's are not even the most interesting or unique of the creatures here on earth.
Mayhaps GOD, has created many other such entity's spread out over a vast expanse, and just maybe finding each other would be a simple thrill for GOD.
Gives the human race something more to strive for.

Fletcher's view is a view that I also share, just haven't posted it here before. If we ever meet other races, then we can meld our views with theirs and get a better picture of the overall scheme of things.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Symptom of the Universe

Granularity

Quote:
Well, in my theory, it's simply because we keep looking for it. Most of it is probably only recently created in any case.