FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > Religion

Greetings!

Religion Discussions on religions, mysticism, and spirituality as well as opposing views such as agnosticism and atheism.

View Poll Results: Did you like "The Passion"?
Yes 11 73.33%
No 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 06:22 AM
I see the truth!

Passion movie

Who saw the movie "The Passion" and what did you think about it?

Truth is ALWAYS stranger than fiction!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Follower
I really enjoyed it, it was difficult to watch though, and reminded me that nothing else matters
Old 03-09-2004, 04:40 AM
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Amergain
Passion

I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was very well done and well directed. I did not find it anti-Semitic. It was anti-clerical. The bad blokes were the Jewish Priesthood. All priesthoods inevitable pervert the original beliefs and become corrupt. Mel Gibson was showing how the High Priest was just a corrupt power preserving reactionary.

Roman executions were as violent and bloody as they demonstrated rather graphically. What I find hard to believe is that Pilate would let some superstitious priests force him to execute a man he thought was innocent. I know his excuse was to prevent a Jewish uprising if he countered the High Priest. I am not sure that is true. Jesus apparently had a number of devoted followers. The Roman Army could put down a Jewish rebellion as they really did in 71 AD.

My questions are:

1. Who was the pale alien looking woman in the black robe who later held a demonic baby? Why was she portrayed as a woman if she was Satan? Who was she if not Satan?

2. Jesus was a carpenter. He was likely a robust, muscular lad. I would imagine him to be a chap who could hold his own in a pub fight. But Gibson's actor playing Jesus, portrayed a frankly effeminate acting man. I am not a believer, but I would have portrayed Jesus as virtuous man but a strong, macho, stocky, lad who you wouldn't pick a fight with. If I ran into a chap like that actor, I would think he were gay. The Gospels do not justify this image do they?

Amergain
Religion is an irrational meme complex, a computer virus of the brain. It inhibits rational, analytical, and sceptical screening (Rubbish filter). The results are gullibility, superstition, paranoia, hate, and violence.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Advanced

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amergain
I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was very well done and well directed. I did not find it anti-Semitic. It was anti-clerical. The bad blokes were the Jewish Priesthood. All priesthoods inevitable pervert the original beliefs and become corrupt. Mel Gibson was showing how the High Priest was just a corrupt power preserving reactionary.

Roman executions were as violent and bloody as they demonstrated rather graphically. What I find hard to believe is that Pilate would let some superstitious priests force him to execute a man he thought was innocent. I know his excuse was to prevent a Jewish uprising if he countered the High Priest. I am not sure that is true. Jesus apparently had a number of devoted followers. The Roman Army could put down a Jewish rebellion as they really did in 71 AD.

My questions are:

1. Who was the pale alien looking woman in the black robe who later held a demonic baby? Why was she portrayed as a woman if she was Satan? Who was she if not Satan?

2. Jesus was a carpenter. He was likely a robust, muscular lad. I would imagine him to be a chap who could hold his own in a pub fight. But Gibson's actor playing Jesus, portrayed a frankly effeminate acting man. I am not a believer, but I would have portrayed Jesus as virtuous man but a strong, macho, stocky, lad who you wouldn't pick a fight with. If I ran into a chap like that actor, I would think he were gay. The Gospels do not justify this image do they?

Amergain
I had much the same take on the film. I did hear that Mel had a woman play the devil cause he felt it made the devil more seductive. I thought the actor playing Jesus was manly enough and his forearms seemed strong enough for a carpenter. His peace loving ways speak more of our lack of love and our confussion of relating maleness with hard mean spirited attitudes. I think his hair was a little to fair as his skin, for being Jewish, and spending much time walking and some nights outdoors he should have had some more rugged looks, like Mel himself in Brave Heart.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:22 PM
The moon is always Full

The movie was INTENCE! Very accurate from what I know of Roman history in thier ways of floggin. To understand Pilot's actions its useful to know that if the people go nuts for the death of one man, best to let the one man die than have many many die in an uprising. The Pharasees had many more followers than Christ.

The movie was Intence! Thats all I can really say, was hard to look strait at people afterwards, ashamed. Catholics are good at that, hard to do something wrong after seeing that movie, for me anyways. Cheers all.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Bah Humbug

Intense is the word I beleive you to be trying to get across. You are either still in high school, or not fully mentally developed.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:12 PM
I believe in Golf Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Moon
The movie was INTENCE! Very accurate from what I know of Roman history in thier ways of floggin. To understand Pilot's actions its useful to know that if the people go nuts for the death of one man, best to let the one man die than have many many die in an uprising. The Pharasees had many more followers than Christ.

The movie was Intence! Thats all I can really say, was hard to look strait at people afterwards, ashamed. Catholics are good at that, hard to do something wrong after seeing that movie, for me anyways. Cheers all.

So much for the "accuracy" of the Movie.... apparently it is Mels version, doctored up to produce INTENSE reactions to the fictional story.... Click the link below for full story.

http://www.billcork.blogspot.com/200...19509820966211

The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad. -Nietzsche

Art raises its head where creeds relax. -Nietzsche
Old 03-10-2004, 04:23 PM
One of Many

Good Movie

It was good -- not any better than any other jesus movie. VERY gore filled! Like that part-- almost a horror movie!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Adept

I enjoyed it alot it moved me to the point where I never wanted to be the same again. At first I didnt know what to expect so I prepared for the worst and although I had psyched myself up to think that it would be 10 times worse than it was it was still pretty bad. and I think that that movie will not save people but it will put an interest in the hearts of nonbelivers and those with different religions. That is all that you need to just get some one to start asking about god and i am so thankful that that movie came ouit because it is a great tool to refer non belivers to when you try to tell about god. Most non belivers are set on the facts and the proof and what happened TO JESUS CHRIST who was a real man is proof that there is a god because no one could do what he did without the halp of a higher power.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:04 AM
Believer

The movie was excellent, if that's the right word. Well worth going to see.

As for your questions, Amergain, Satan was played by a woman not only to make Satan more seductive but also because Satan or Lucifer was the angel of worship before he rebelled against God. Being this Lucifer was the most beautiful being ever created, so being a woman also shows some of the beauty. The cartoons and drawings that show Satan as an ugly, grotesque being are utterly wrong, as John, in Revelation, saw Lucifer before the throne of God and he was almost as beautiful as the son of Man.

Don't know about the wonderfully robust chap, he certainly would have been able to take care of himself. But try and imagine the pressure of knowing that you were about to suffer unimaginable pain (not only physically, but spiritually as well because Jesus became cut off from the Father because of our sins) and then die crucified, one of the most painful ways of execution. You'd know this and you would also know that you have to go through with it anyway, if men were to have the chance of being redeemed.
for the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.
Robert Jastrow