FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Politics > Politics and World Events

Greetings!

Politics and World Events A place for all you liberals, conservatives, and even radicals.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Bah Humbug

Conn. police official threatens reporter, resigns

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - An assistant police chief in Connecticut has been relieved of his duties after he threatened to arrest a newspaper reporter.

The reporter had written about a detective who complained that Assistant Chief Peter Reichard had physically threatened him.

Reichard retired from the New Haven Police Department this week, three days after the chief ordered him to hand over his gun and badge.

The controversy began in September, when New Haven Register reporter William Kaempffer wrote an article about a complaint filed by the detective.

Two days later, Reichard sent an e-mail threatening to arrest Kaempffer if the reporter ever contacted him again.

Reichard did not immediately return calls for comment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35270584/ns/us_news/

I'm sure he'll live comfortably the rest of his life on his tax-payer funded pension.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Veteran

Well, the reporter did use his job to harass the cop, suppose that's OK, but the cop in using his job to harass the reporter, was wrong. There is more to this story, not known...
Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Bah Humbug

Really? Harass the cop? That's funny... its called journalism. If you consider outing a police official about allegations he physically threatened his subordinates harassment, I'd hate to know what you would call actual harassment. The reporter was doing his job, nothing illegal about that, just reporting the facts, as is his Constitutional right...
Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Veteran

The reporter may have been using his constitutional rights but if he was hacking the policeman during his private time then the reporter is wrong.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Veteran

Well if your ever hacked my CNN people and they are nice to you like maybe with some famous producers too, that wouldn't necessarily be violating your privacy unless they caught you undressed and they weren't welcome with the surprise, Oh my God Mel Gibson is talking to me. Wow wowo oh wow.

Mel Gibson is hacking me . He's hacking me.

Now that is totally different.=)~
Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The controversy began in September, when New Haven Register reporter William Kaempffer wrote an article about a complaint filed by the detective.

Two days later, Reichard sent an e-mail threatening to arrest Kaempffer if the reporter ever contacted him again.

The reporter apparently had a beef, with the detective and the detective must had been cooperating with the reporter. It sounds to me like 'confidentiality' is somehow involved, but the cop was out of order, with the threat. As I said, there is something missing and I'll bet, the cop files a liable suit against the reporters employee, the paper.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Bah Humbug

Nef, this has nothing to do with anybody "hacking" anything.

Jackson, such a suit will never happen. There is a reason the guy retired as soon as his threat was made public. The reporter was doing his job, was not out of line in any way reporting on official complaints filed in the department. No doubt the detective had a beef with his boss, hence the complaint, but nobody is liable for anything in making it public.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
I have to agree with Oddity, I see nothing so far in the article or story on how the reporter harassed the cop in question. What I DO see is a threat coming from the cop to the reporter over the physical abuse toward another officer.
I see it this way, the assistant detective attacked the other cop and the attacked cop talked to a reporter and then the story goes from there between reporter and the assistant detective.