FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > Ethics and Morality

Greetings!

Ethics and Morality What's right and what's wrong? Discuss issues on ethics, morality, and justice.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Interhuman Symbiosis

Medical gender equality - NOT!

Female physicians provide better care for heart-failure patients, particularly when those patients are female themselves, according to a startling new study by German researchers.

The new German study indicates that female cardiologists are more likely to prescribe guideline-recommended treatment, such as angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and beta blockers.

The results also show that female heart-failure patients are less likely to receive optimum care, particularly when male physicians treat them.

The findings, which were published in the online edition of the European Journal of Heart Failure, are the result of the first-ever study to examine the influence of physician gender on the treatment of heart failure.

"The use of evidence-based treatments as described in the latest guidelines has undoubtedly improved the treatment of chronic heart failure," Dr. Magnus Baumhaekel, of the University Hospital of the Saarland in Homburg, Germany, and a study author, said in a European Society of Cardiology news release.

"But there is still evidence of a gender imbalance in both patients and physicians. From our results, it seems fair to say that the gender of the physician plays an important role in adherence to drug treatment recommendations in chronic heart failure."

Baumhaekel and his colleagues evaluated 1,857 consecutive congestive heart failure patients treated at centres in eastern Germany.

Treatment records involving 829 physicians (65 per cent general practitioners, 27 per cent internists and 7 per cent cardiologists) were analysed with regard to evidence-based drug treatments to improve survival.

Assessment of dosages was calculated as a percentage of averages documented in treatment guidelines for heart failure.

Female physicians did not treat male or female patients differently with regard to the use and dosage of ACE inhibitors or ARBs. Use of beta blockers was more frequent in males than in female patients, but dosage was not different. In contrast, male physicians favoured male patients for both prescriptions and dosage.

"A female patient was likely to receive the worst medical treatment from a male physician, whereas male patients were best treated by a female physician," the researchers wrote.

It seems we havae a long way to go when it comes to general gender equality - this East German study shows a misoginist trend which I must say was an unexpected revelation to me but didn't really surprise me either.

Women have souls too guy's - get with it.

Thucydides
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kzirb
I find those results odd. I feel that I'd likely give a female better care.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned

poor ben - the term is spelled misogynist. I doubt there's much that isn't a revelation to you poor ben.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Banned

poor ben - the term is spelled misogynist. I doubt there's much that isn't a revelation to you poor ben, including the english language.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge1907 View Post
Poor Ben - the term is spelled misogynist. I doubt there's much that isn't a revelation to you poor Ben.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned

thanks kzirb - that's about what i wrote.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Kzirb - that's about what I wrote.
Capitalization you twit!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Banned

Why capitalize your name?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Interhuman Symbiosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzirb View Post
I find those results odd. I feel that I'd likely give a female better care.
I would give equal care but your point is interesting - I'm sure you have noticed how men's attitude to women in general is therefore is it surprising to see this sort of result?

misogynist - thank you Mr Spelling Bee.

Thucydides
Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 AM
breathe

Quote:
Why capitalize your name?
Because it's a proper noun

The better question would be : why respond to a topic about medical gender equality with a spelling correction and personal insult... ?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 AM
breathe

I wonder if it's partly down to natural instincts we haven't quite shed Ben - maybe deep down the doctors just want to eliminate the competition
Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Interhuman Symbiosis

Misogyny is insidiously inherent in my opinion, more of an attitude than a natural trait but your point is valid in my opinion, a natural dominance of the female like a lion to a lioness.

This is why I believe we need to psychologically rid ourselves of the last instinctive vestiges of our monkey selves, gain control of our inner animal rather than allow ourselves to be controlled by it due to our denial of it.

This is not to say we totally remove the primitive brain impulses and intuitive reflexes but it is to say that we should become true rational beings with control of our instinctive drives rather than being controlled by them. It's weird to see monkey's in suits pretending to be human only to go home to beat and rape their wives.

Thucydides
Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 AM
breathe

Absolutely, I agree completely.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 AM
Banned

sorry will - nothing proper about you or k - name or otherwise.

ben, no need to thank me - I'm glad you learned one new word today.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
sorry will - nothing proper about you or k - name or otherwise.

ben, no need to thank me - I'm glad you learned one new word today.
You are so boring. I wish I found you funny, but everything you say is just so god damn dull. Take lessons from Symptom or IAAG, they troll with style.