FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Politics > Human Society

Greetings!

Human Society Discuss humanity’s history, present, possible future.

View Poll Results: Are you socially awkward?
Yes 5 20.83%
most of the time 2 8.33%
sometimes 7 29.17%
not often 3 12.50%
No 6 25.00%
What does socially awkward mean? 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Openminded

Send a message via AIM to madesta
Socially Awkward

I got that from Ca$#b@ck. Anyway, I like how he put it. It's very apparent what he means, but it's less apparent to describe what social awkwardness entails.

So, can I get a vote. Who here considers themselves socially awkward?

You know, I often notice social awkwardness is apparent with certain groups, and less with others. I mean, get a group of "intelligent" people and I'm sure their social ability is less awkward than, a group of "popular" people and one (1) "intelligent" person.

So, in essence, the question here is. . .

Have you ever been in a socially awkward situation?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

I scare girls.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Eyes? I see no eyes.

I'm a cannibal for human rights.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Bah Humbug

I have trouble expressing myself in group situations. One on one I got no problems.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Banned

I'm starting not to care what in real life people say.

For example, in 20 minutes I have a monthly meeting with the Red Cross delegation in my district, and odds are that I will be fired. I have all the excuses to theoretically not get fired, but I just don't think I will use them because I'm simply so fucking tired of the fact that people get tired of excuses.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Eyes? I see no eyes.

Between facebook, san andreas and my love doll, I don't need real life anymore.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm usually pretty charismatic when out of doors... or at least, uninhibited. I can be a bit shy when people come to the door, or call on the phone. It's all a question of whether I've been roused or not. Different personal circumstances can make me more or less shy, but the people and context of the situation don't bother me as much.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 PM
snarf

Identities competing distracts me, I don't enjoy observing it. Maury Povich, the devil is looking forward to ramming you in the ass, after he's done with Connie.

Ideas competing is more fun, but too rigid. So I hang with artists and people who are on their own spiritual journey. There is definitely a toxicity to most people's mojo's, they are very very unsure of themselves. You literally become a character in their life story, and they prop all kinds of things on you. They want your cool, they want your energy, money, time, or fear.

There has to be a sense of celebration to the moment, or people are hung up by the past future. If you aren't enthralled with some aspect of life enough to partake in it or talk about it in the spirit of adventure, you are probably mentally jerking off so you don't have to face your issues. For example, yawn likes to jerk his mind off on all the newcomers. If he could celebrate himself and see his worth, he'd see it in others, then his self curiosity would extend into the lives of others.

There are few places in the world I am willing to extend myself, blossom is one of them.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Some people never the same oppertunities as other children to develop their communication skills adequately for certain situations. In my position I'm required to do a lot of public speaking and addressing a crowd. I think a toastmaster's course would help most who are too timid and a little more getting out of the house and going down to the market might help you learn how people are expected to act in public. If you want to meet "society's" expectations, anyway. I prefer to. Let's me make more money and I meet less resistance. Sometimes the best strategy is to fit in with those you disagree with until you are in the best position possible to assert your oppinion.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyman
There are few places in the world I am willing to extend myself, blossom is one of them.
I no understand.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by madesta
I got that from Ca$#b@ck. Anyway, I like how he put it. It's very apparent what he means, but it's less apparent to describe what social awkwardness entails.

So, can I get a vote. Who here considers themselves socially awkward?

You know, I often notice social awkwardness is apparent with certain groups, and less with others. I mean, get a group of "intelligent" people and I'm sure their social ability is less awkward than, a group of "popular" people and one (1) "intelligent" person.

So, in essence, the question here is. . .

It all depends on the situation. In some instances i can be a talker and not feel awkward, like when i am in a class or setting with history/culture subject involved or at a live local punk band concert. But will feel awkward in a setting of what i am not used to or dont care to be there.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Trust me, it's edible!

I'm socially frustrated, not socially awkward. I can't stand most gay men, but get along with women famously. Conservatives enjoy my humor for the most part and remain some of my more steadfast friends(provided I don't tell them about my orientation; that tends to scare them away), while most liberals I can only stand speaking to on an intellectual level. I get along with the stoners better than any other group on campus, and can't seem to scrounge up any sort of personal desire to bond with any of the legitimate club groups in our college that I actually want to actively participate in.

I swear to god, everybody else must be doing something wrong. It's like the very opposite of the people I initially think I will get along with are the only people I can stand personally being around. Does he/she like Blues? Well, I better prepare to have it as the only subject of discussion, as just by luck it's the only thing he talks about ever! Found some flaming liberal who likes to rant about the evils of powerful rich white men and their eroding effect on culture/law? Well too bad Zinkovich, because their voice grates on your mind like sandpaper and you'll probably be popping quite a few aspirin after a five minute conversation with him/her! Oh, finally found a gay man who looks kinda cute? Too bad he only wants to talk about homosexual issues and doesn't care about the world outside of his little gay bubble!

I guess my point is that my entire social life has been just one big long bout of ing interspersed with a few moments.

Last edited by Zinkovich; 08-25-2007 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 AM
Mike in the hat

Socially awkward? It depends. If I'm in a group where people make bold and irrational statements, I feel awkward. I want to say, go to hell, but at the same time, I know I won't see those people again, so I drop it. Usually, I talk to everyone I see. Whoever sit next to me will be spoken too. I'm just friendly.

I'm at my most comfort when I speak about something with complexity. I don't know why, but the more complex an idea is, the more comfortable I feel with the idea. This is probably due to the fact that I have to study the idea more and becomes more use to it than simple ideas.

As for awkward moment, I do not like or feel comfortable around nervous people. For example, a kid in one of my math classes is one of those people that will worry about every test, every quiz and every concept. I try to relax them, but it makes me worry about my ability. So I don't like being there. However, my helpful attitude did win the attraction of a rare girl. A mathematician female that does not look like she does math. In fact, she looks like she majors in anything but mathematics. So overall, I win.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Veteran

Just face it, our identities mutate with every given situation. The more integrity a person has within their own being, the more consistently they will behave in a wider variety of situations, but never ever completely the same in all situations. And what's wrong with that?

So, as far as socially awkward moments go, I suspect that it is the exceptionally rare individual who has not had one, the extreme minority. But, equally, I suspect that those people who have had awkward social moments have done so when they have been interacting with people they would not generally choose to, or for whom they have contempt. I mean, I will speak to anyone about anything if I get the impression I am being approached with honesty and directness (not that my impressions are always right). But I dispise people who give the impression that they so feel the need to be socially accepted that they will actively change who they are to fit in with a groups' status quo (goes way beyond the normal unconsious identity changes that occur for us all naturally, and driven by circumstance). Politicians are people who generally excel in such behaviour, thus why I have so little time to talk to politicians (other than to yell abuse at them).

I could enter a room of people who are complete strangers and get an impression that most of them are honest and direct, and not have any social awkwardness for an entire evening. Equally I can enter a room of people who are well known to me and have almost nothing but awkward moments. So dependent on context!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kzirb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinkovich
I'm socially frustrated, not socially awkward. I can't stand most gay men, but get along with women famously. Conservatives enjoy my humor for the most part and remain some of my more steadfast friends(provided I don't tell them about my orientation; that tends to scare them away), while most liberals I can only stand speaking to on an intellectual level. I get along with the stoners better than any other group on campus, and can't seem to scrounge up any sort of personal desire to bond with any of the legitimate club groups in our college that I actually want to actively participate in.

I swear to god, everybody else must be doing something wrong. It's like the very opposite of the people I initially think I will get along with are the only people I can stand personally being around. Does he/she like Blues? Well, I better prepare to have it as the only subject of discussion, as just by luck it's the only thing he talks about ever! Found some flaming liberal who likes to rant about the evils of powerful rich white men and their eroding effect on culture/law? Well too bad Zinkovich, because their voice grates on your mind like sandpaper and you'll probably be popping quite a few aspirin after a five minute conversation with him/her! Oh, finally found a gay man who looks kinda cute? Too bad he only wants to talk about homosexual issues and doesn't care about the world outside of his little gay bubble!

I guess my point is that my entire social life has been just one big long bout of ing interspersed with a few moments.
I think I know someone you could get along with, to bad he lives at the other end of the country. At least there is hope!! (especially in NorCal, we have a thriving gay community)

I know what you mean though, about crazy, radical, 1-subject-obsessed people that make you want to plant c4 on your own head.