FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Politics > Politics and World Events

Greetings!

Politics and World Events A place for all you liberals, conservatives, and even radicals.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:04 AM

Feds pay $80,000 over anti-Bush T-shirts

Quote:
A couple arrested at a rally after refusing to cover T-shirts that bore anti-President Bush slogans settled their lawsuit against the federal government for $80,000, the American Civil Liberties Union announced Thursday.

Nicole and Jeffery Rank of Corpus Christi, Texas, were handcuffed and removed from the July 4, 2004, rally at the state Capitol, where Bush gave a speech. A judge dismissed trespassing charges against them, and an order closing the case was filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Charleston.

"This settlement is a real victory not only for our clients but for the First Amendment," said Andrew Schneider, executive director of the ACLU of West Virginia. "As a result of the Ranks' courageous stand, public officials will think twice before they eject peaceful protesters from public events for exercising their right to dissent."

White House spokesman Blair Jones said the settlement was not an admission of wrongdoing.
Apparently anyone not liking Bush is treated like a criminal, this couple deserve better, $80,000 is not enough to pay for ppl to give up their rights.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070817/...ters_lawsuit_2

Dragon busted on his lies ... HERE!

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's - Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Veteran

It was a victory for freedom of speech. It encourages others to follow suit and reminds the administration of its limits. Heck, I may invest in an anit-Bush t-shirt and attend a Bush rally myself in hopes of getting paid.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

On a seperate matter, I prefer a judge over jury trial any day.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Agenda
It was a victory for freedom of speech. It encourages others to follow suit and reminds the administration of its limits. Heck, I may invest in an anit-Bush t-shirt and attend a Bush rally myself in hopes of getting paid.
Too bad about those free speech zones though ...

"america is about freedom to assemble and protest ... but only in this tiny area half a mile from the press conference"

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's - Mark Twain

Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Veteran

Yep, that was a loss for freedom of speech, all right. I helped pay that guy's fine, it happened here in Columbia SC. He was a Libertarian, btw, I was proud of him for his resistance and his comeback when they told him to move, which was something like: This is America, the whole country is a free speech zone!

Expect to see more people outside the free speech zone next time Mr. Bush comes for a visit.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Mike in the hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArghMonkey
Apparently anyone not liking Bush is treated like a criminal, this couple deserve better, $80,000 is not enough to pay for ppl to give up their rights.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070817/...ters_lawsuit_2
Irony, the same system that took their freedom found that it was wrong and rewarded them.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterduck
Irony, the same system that took their freedom found that it was wrong and rewarded them.
Does this mean all is well to you?

Or does the fact that it happened n the first place bother anyone still ? *L*

Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Mike in the hat

Quote:
Does this mean all is well to you?

Or does the fact that it happened n the first place bother anyone still ? *L*
It means the system works. Sure it sucks that it happened, but i'm not going to riot because of this. It happens in a lot of places, but I only become worried when no one does anything to make it right. To quote the Simpson, "We all make mistakes, that's why we have erasers on pencils."
Old 08-20-2007, 09:32 PM

Ya, great, they were paid for the wrong done to them ...

What steps are being made to make sure this doesnt happen again?

Is this a sign of a much deeper issue of censoring descent ? (which it is of course)

Old 08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Mike in the hat

Quote:
Ya, great, they were paid for the wrong done to them ...

What steps are being made to make sure this doesnt happen again?

Is this a sign of a much deeper issue of censoring descent ? (which it is of course)
I simply disagree. If this was a sign of censoring, I wouldn't have heard about it. Maybe. Sure they got censor, and it was wrong, but to me it looks like you are making a fatal wound out of a flesh wound.

Who knows what steps are being down to stop it from happening. I'm fairly certain people don't want to play 80k again, so i'm sure they are thinking of something. I was merely pointing out that this whole check and balance system is working. You see something terrible, and so do i, but I also see the good. Try opening up that right eye for once.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I simply disagree. If this was a sign of censoring, I wouldn't have heard about it. Maybe. Sure they got censor, and it was wrong, but to me it looks like you are making a fatal wound out of a flesh wound.

Who knows what steps are being down to stop it from happening. I'm fairly certain people don't want to play 80k again, so i'm sure they are thinking of something. I was merely pointing out that this whole check and balance system is working. You see something terrible, and so do i, but I also see the good. Try opening up that right eye for once.
$80,000 is less then a drop in the bucket, its the symbolic impact that matters here.

I see this as a surface problem, this ties in with free speech zones, harrassment ppl have received all over the u.s. and Bushs obsession with eliminating descent wherever it pops up, valerie plame anyone ?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Agenda
Yep, that was a loss for freedom of speech, all right. I helped pay that guy's fine, it happened here in Columbia SC. He was a Libertarian, btw, I was proud of him for his resistance and his comeback when they told him to move, which was something like: This is America, the whole country is a free speech zone!

Expect to see more people outside the free speech zone next time Mr. Bush comes for a visit.
No its not. Our public streets are NOT made for protests when we have other citizens trying to get on with their lives. I dont want a protester blocking our streets as a emergency vehicle wants to get through or even me to get their on an important day. They can find a nice park near a road and protest. Point is they need to be more organized and NOT in other's ways who want NOTHING to do with what they are doing. Its ALSO my right to NOT be bothered by these people who want to protest too.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
Quote:

Monkey doesnt want us to waste money on wars, but waste overbearing money on lawsuits. I dont think he realizes that these people did this for a reason....at least how i see it.
They knew it would draw attention from the likes of Monkey and outrage for more money on something that DOESNT deserve more then what they got.
As for protesting there period, as long as it wasnt A THREATENING gesture toward the president or other leadership...fine.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:33 PM

You know if hes going to post something about me the least that stupid shit can do is unblock me *LOL*

Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
No its not. Our public streets are NOT made for protests when we have other citizens trying to get on with their lives. I dont want a protester blocking our streets as a emergency vehicle wants to get through or even me to get their on an important day. They can find a nice park near a road and protest. Point is they need to be more organized and NOT in other's ways who want NOTHING to do with what they are doing. Its ALSO my right to NOT be bothered by these people who want to protest too.
The only thing this guy was in the way of was a photo op.