FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > Religion

Greetings!

Religion Discussions on religions, mysticism, and spirituality as well as opposing views such as agnosticism and atheism.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Love Is The Way Of True Christianity:

Love Is The Way Of True Christianity:

God's (YHWH's) chief attribute is Love and when the Bible speaks of mankind being made in the likeness of man as recorded at Genesis 1:26-27, "Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image and likeness to rule the fish in the sea, the birds of heaven, the cattle, all wild animals on earth, and all reptiles that crawl upon the earth,' So God created man in his own image: in the image of God he created him; " (The New English Bible NEB). Now, God's (YHWh's) chief attribute is love as testified to at 1 John 4:8, "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." (American Standard Version; ASV). Therefore to be a true Christian, a footstep follower of Christ, one must show love to others, first and foremost, since God (YHWH) is love. In fact to remain in union with God (YHWH), we must have love as revealed at 1 John 4:16-21 & 5:1-3, "And we know and have believed the love which God hath in us. God is love; and he that abideth in love abideth in God, and God abideth in him. 17 Herein is love made perfect with us, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as he is, even so are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love: but perfect love casteth out fear, because fear hath punishment; and he that feareth is not made perfect in love. 19 We love, because he first loved us. 20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, cannot love God whom he hath not seen. 21 And this commandment have we from him, that he who loveth God love his brother also. 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is begotten of God: and whosoever loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2 Hereby we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and do his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." (ASV).

AN OUTSTANDING MANIFESTATION OF LOVE:

at John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life." (ASV). And his love is manifest as affirmed at 1 John 4:9-10, "Herein was the love of God manifested in us, that God hath sent his only begotten Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son `to be' the propitiation for our sins." (ASV); and his great love for us was further emphasized at Romans 5:8, "But God commendeth his own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (ASV).

TO DEMONSTRATE GENUINE LOVE, ONE MUST COME TO KNOW GOD'S (YHWH'S) AND HAVE HIS SPIRIT:

To ome to know God (YHWH) we must have his spirit and to do this we must demonstrate genuine love as clearly shown at 1 John 4:7-8, "Dear friends, let us love one another, because love is from God. Everyone who loves is a child of God and knows God, but the unloving know nothing of God. For God is love;" (NEB).
Now how can we demonstrate our love for God (YHWH) whom we have not seen?

We can demonstrate our love for God (YHWH) by being obedient to his commands as shown at 1 John 2:5 & 5:3, "but whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that are in him." & "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." (Authorized King James Bible; AV); and this is further emphasized at 2 John 6, "And this is love, that we follow his commandments; this is the commandment, as you have heard from the beginning, that you follow love." (Revised Standard Version; RSV). This is reaffirmed at John 14:15 & 20-21, "`If ye love me, my commands keep," & "in that day ye shall know that I `am' in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you; 2 he who is having my commands, and is keeping them, that one it is who is loving me, and he who is loving me shall be loved by my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.'" (Young's Literal Translation; YLT).

TRUE CHRISTIANS MARKED BY LOVE ONE FOR ANOTHER:

Clearly since God (YHWH) is love, true Christians are distinguished by love for one another as shown by John 13:34-35, "`A new commandment I give to you, that ye love one another; according as I did love you, that ye also love one another; 35 in this shall all know that ye are my disciples, if ye may have love one to another.'" (YLT); and at John 15:12-13, "`This is my command, that ye love one another, according as I did love you; 13 greater love than this hath no one, that any one his life may lay down for his friends;" (YLT); and at 1 John 3:16, "It is by this that we know what love is: that Christ laid down his life for us. And we in our turn are bound to lay down our lives for our brothers." (NEB).

The need for true Christians to have love one for another is emphasized at 1 John 4:20-21, "If anyone says, "I love God," and yet hates his brother, he is a liar; for whoever does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. This is the command that we get from him that whoever loves God must love his brother also." (The Short Bible by Dr. Edgar J. Goodspeed; TSB); and by 1 John 3:10, "The love consists not in our having loved God, but in his loving us and sending his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." (TSB).

CHRISTIAN FAMILIES UNITED BY A STRONG BOND OF LOVE:

True Christian families should be united by a strong bond of love as shown by Epesians 5:22-25, "Wives, `be in subjection' unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, and Christ also is the head of the church, `being' himself the saviour of the body. 24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so `let' the wives also `be' to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself up for it;" (ASV); and at Titus 2:4, "Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." (New International Version; NIV).

We must, to win God's (YHWH's) favor exercise Godlike Love as revealed at Proverbs 13:24, "He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." (ASV). This principle of love is re-affirmed at Revelation 3:19, "As many as I love, I reprove and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent." (ASV); and at Hebrews 12:6, "For he disciplines everyone He loves, And chastises every son whom He heartily receives." (The New Testament by Charles B. Williams).

LOVE NOT LIMITED TO THOSE WHO LOVE US:

Many are under the misconception that love is limited only to those who love us, but Jesus (Yeshua) made clear this is not the case at Matthew 5:43-47, "Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy: 44 but I say unto you, love your enemies, and pray for them that persecute you; 45 that ye may be sons of your Father who is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sendeth rain on the just and the unjust. 46 For if ye love them that love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more `than others?' do not even the Gentiles the same?" (ASV); and Luke 6:27-33, "27 But I say unto you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to them that hate you, 28 bless them that curse you, pray for them that despitefully use you. 29 To him that smiteth thee on the `one' cheek offer also the other; and from him that taketh away thy cloak withhold not thy coat also. 30 Give to every one that asketh thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. 32 And if ye love them that love you, what thank have ye? for even sinners love those that love them. 33 And if ye do good to them that do good to you, what thank have ye? for even sinners do the same." (ASV).

HOEVER TRUE CHRISTIANS NOT TO LOVE EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING:

Now this may sound like a contradiction at first that true Christians are not to love everything and everybody, but lets investigate further. Let's look at Psalms 97:10, "Those who hate evil the Eternal [God] loves, he saves his followers alive rescuing them from evil men." (A New Translation of The Bible by Dr. James Moffatt; ANT); and Amos 5:15, "Hate evil, love good; Establish justice in the gate. It may be that the Lord God of hosts will be gracious to the remnant of Joseph." (The New King James Bible; NJKB); and Romans 12:9, "Let love be without hypocrisy, Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good," (NJKB); and 2 Chronicles 19:2, "And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the wicked, and love them that hate Jehovah? for this thing wrath is upon thee from before Jehovah." (ASV); and Psalms 119:113, "I hate men who are half and half, I love thy law;" (ANT); and 2 Timothy 3:1-5, "But know this, that in the last days grievous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, railers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 without natural affection, implacable, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, no lovers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, puffed up, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God; 5 holding a form of godliness, but having denied the power therefore. From these also turn away." (ASV); and 1 John 2:15-17, "Love not ye the world, nor the things in the world; if any one doth love the world, the love of the Father is not in him 16 because all that `is' in the world -- the desire of the flesh, and the desire of the eyes, and the ostentation of the life -- is not of the Father, but of the world, 17 and the world doth pass away, and the desire of it, and he who is doing the will of God, he doth remain -- to the age." (ASV).

ACCURATE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD'S (YHWH'S) WORD SHOULD GUIDE LOVE:

Love should be guided by an accurate knowledge of God's (YHWH's) word as testified to at Philipians 1:9-11, "And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and all discernment; 10 so that ye may approve the things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and void of offence unto the day of Christ; 11being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are through Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God." (ASV).

TRUE CHRISTIANS MUST EXPRESS LOVE FOR ONE'S FELLOWMAN:

The fact that true Christians must express love for one's fellowman is made clear at 1 Corinthians 13:4-5, "He that speaketh in a tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 Now I would have you all speak with tongues, but rather that ye should prophesy: and greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying." (ASV); and at Ephesians 4:1-2, "I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beseech you to walk worthily of the calling wherewith ye were called, 2 with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;" (ASV); and at Proverbs 10:12, "Hatred stirreth up strifes; But love covereth all transgressions." (ASV); and Galatians 5:13, "Now, Brethren, you were invited to Freedom; only take care lest this Freedom becomes an occasion for the flesh; but through love be your subservient to each other." (The Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson); and 1 John 3:17-18, "But whoso hath the world's goods, and beholdeth his brother in need, and shutteth up his compassion from him, how doth the love of God abide in him? 18 `My' Little children, let us not love in word, neither with the tongue; but in deed and truth." (ASV).

CULTIVATION OF LOVE IS NECESSARY:

Love does not just happen, but must be cultivated as shown at 2 Peter 1:5-7, "Yea, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply virtue; and in `your' virtue knowledge; 6 and in `your' knowledge self-control; and in `your' self-control patience; and in `your' patience godliness; 7 and in `your' godliness brotherly kindness; and in `your' brotherly kindness love." (ASV); and at 2 Timothy 2:22, "So shun youthful passions and aim at righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call upon the Lord from a pure heart." (RSV).

LOVE FULFILLS GOD'S (YHWH'S) LAW:

Love is actually the fulfillment of God's (YHWH's) law as testified to by Jesus (Yeshua) at Matthew 22:37-39, ", "He answered, '"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind." That is the greatest commandment. It comes first. The second is like it: "Love your neighbour as yourself." Everything in the Law and the prophets hangs on these two commandments.'" (NEB). This is affirmed at Romans 13:8-10, "Owe no man anything, save to love one another: for he that loveth his neighbor hath fulfilled the law. 9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not covet, and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this word, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. 10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: love therefore is the fulfilment of the law." (ASV); and affirmed at Galatians 5:14, "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." (AV).

THOSE WHO LOVE GOD (YHWH) WILL RECEIVE BLESSINGS FROM HIM:

The fact that those who love God (YHWH) will receive blessings is made clear at 1 Corinthians 2:9, "but as it is written, Things which eye saw not, and ear heard not, And `which' entered not into the heart of man, Whatsoever things God prepared for them that love him." (ASV); and at James 1:12 & 2:5, "Blessed is the man that endureth temptation; for when he hath been approved, he shall receive the crown of life, which `the Lord' promised to them that love him." & "Hearken, my beloved brethren; did not God choose them that are poor as to the world `to be' rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he promised to them that love him?" (ASV); and at Psalms 145:20, "Jehovah preserveth all them that love him; But all the wicked will he destroy." (ASV); and at Deuteronomy 11:13-15, "And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love Jehovah your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul, 14 that I will give the rain of your land in its season, the former rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy grain, and thy new wine, and thine oil. 15 And I will give grass in thy fields for thy cattle, and thou shalt eat and be full." (ASV).

CONCLUSION:

As 1 John 4:7-8 states, "Dear friends, let us love one another, because love is from God. Everyone who loves is a child of God and knows God, but the unloving know nothing of God. For God is love;" (NEB). In fact, Jesus (Yeshua) strongly made this point at Matthew 22:37-40, "He answered, '"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind." That is the greatest commandment. It comes first. The second is like it: "Love your neighbour as yourself." Everything in the Law and the prophets hangs on these two commandments.'" (NEB). Remember, God's (YHWH's) motivates him to act on our behalf, and that his love is always present in the way he uses his other attributes.

Your Friend in Christ Iris89
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 PM
The one and only...

Imagine meeting up with your parents for dinner. Imagine you're 18 and recently graduated high school.

You sit down at the table in front of your plate and your father takes out a gun and points it at you. He says, "You have two choices. You can do what I say which involves being a plumber for the rest of your life and doing whatever I tell you to. If you say yes, I'll always love you and look out for you. If you say no, I'm going to take you downstairs at gunpoint and lock you in a tiny room with a life support machine that will keep you alive and completely isolated from the world forever. It'll be complete torture. You have to make this choice and live with it forever."

He clicks back the hammer of the revolver and asks, "So, what's it gonna be? Plumber for life or shoved in a deep dark dungeon forever?"

This is the definition of god's love for people. Do as you're told or face eternal damnation. Christians are just people who've convinced themselves that there's nothing better than the intellectual rewards of plumbing.

ZHAVRIC
Old 10-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Devil's Advocate

Send a message via AIM to Galphanore Send a message via Yahoo to Galphanore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhavric
Imagine meeting up with your parents for dinner. Imagine you're 18 and recently graduated high school.

You sit down at the table in front of your plate and your father takes out a gun and points it at you. He says, "You have two choices. You can do what I say which involves being a plumber for the rest of your life and doing whatever I tell you to. If you say yes, I'll always love you and look out for you. If you say no, I'm going to take you downstairs at gunpoint and lock you in a tiny room with a life support machine that will keep you alive and completely isolated from the world forever. It'll be complete torture. You have to make this choice and live with it forever."

He clicks back the hammer of the revolver and asks, "So, what's it gonna be? Plumber for life or shoved in a deep dark dungeon forever?"

This is the definition of god's love for people. Do as you're told or face eternal damnation. Christians are just people who've convinced themselves that there's nothing better than the intellectual rewards of plumbing.
Uhm....mind if I quote you from time to time? Cause that was awsome!
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
-- Theodore Roosevelt
To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.
--Confucius

Remember, Democracy can not be spread by the barrel of a gun.

I'm a Libertarian Transhumanist Atheist and a proud member of the reality-based community.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:

He clicks back the hammer of the revolver and asks, "So, what's it gonna be? Plumber for life or shoved in a deep dark dungeon forever?" .

Now do you know why it does not say, LOVE THY FATHER AND MOTHER, but HONOUR THY FATHER AND MOTHER? Biological love is so easy - honour is so demanding.

Please dont love me - I'll make do with some respect only.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:35 AM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJoseph
Now do you know why it does not say, LOVE THY FATHER AND MOTHER, but HONOUR THY FATHER AND MOTHER? Biological love is so easy - honour is so demanding.

Please dont love me - I'll make do with some respect only.
To get respect you have to earn it by respecting others when they present their points Joe.
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
-- Theodore Roosevelt
--Confucius

I'm a Libertarian Transhumanist Atheist and a proud member of the reality-based community.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:28 AM
Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galphanore
To get respect you have to earn it by respecting others when they present their points Joe.
Correct. Flaunting love without respect does not work. The 4th Commandment is spot on.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
Quote:

I have to agree with Galph here....awesome, very awesome.
Damn it seems like others beat me to the punch....
Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 PM
The one and only...

Thank you both and yes, feel free to quote me.

Joe: lurk more.

ZHAVRIC
Old 10-12-2006, 02:17 PM
New Science

NS Comment

Love is a NATURAL function and has NOTHING to do with the bible or Christianity.
Using the bible to promote love is a 'bait and switch' falsehood.

That also can be applied to any other Natural functions like reproduction which is being used to produce these population bombs that are NOT natural because there are NO controls to limit the numbers.

The bible is for the ignorant as well as the popes dogma.
I repeat: The animals do NOT need the bible or the popes to tell them what to do. So why do people need those phoney substitutes?

NS
Old 10-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Science
NS Comment

Love is a NATURAL function and has NOTHING to do with the bible or Christianity.
Using the bible to promote love is a 'bait and switch' falsehood.

That also can be applied to any other Natural functions like reproduction which is being used to produce these population bombs that are NOT natural because there are NO controls to limit the numbers.

The bible is for the ignorant as well as the popes dogma.
I repeat: The animals do NOT need the bible or the popes to tell them what to do. So why do people need those phoney substitutes?

NS
Because we're smart enough to see our own mortality and realise it means an end to existing and it scares the shit out of most of us.
-- Theodore Roosevelt
--Confucius

Old 10-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Banned

hi everyone

It seems like most are ignorant of the meaning of Genesis 1:26, " And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." (Authorized King James Bible; AV), where in his likeness does NOT mean physical as humans are not spirit beings, but with his attributes, one of which is love as testified to at 1 John 4:8, "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." (AV).

Old 10-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris89
hi everyone

It seems like most are ignorant of the meaning of Genesis 1:26, " And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." (Authorized King James Bible; AV), where in his likeness does NOT mean physical as humans are not spirit beings, but with his attributes, one of which is love as testified to at 1 John 4:8, "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." (AV).

No, it just seems to us that you're ignorant of the hypocracy of the bible. In John 4:8 it says "He that loveth not knowth not God; for God is love." and then in Luke 14:26 it says "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple." and Leviticus 20:13 says "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." Be carefull of your hypocracy Iris, as Job 13:16 says "an hypocrite shall not come before Him."
-- Theodore Roosevelt
--Confucius

Old 10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Banned

hi everyone

DITTO MY LAST POST

Old 10-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Openminded

Send a message via AIM to madesta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galphanore
Ah, that's why you are the way you are. You don't have to earn respect. You earn disrespect. Otherwise, you respect everyone. Innocent until proven guilty. Respect until they earn disrespect. It's the true nature of who you are that determines the order.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

hi Madesta

You called his number. He post insulting nonsense that benefits no one. I am considering answering all his post with a short up building something.