FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > Religion

Greetings!

Religion Discussions on religions, mysticism, and spirituality as well as opposing views such as agnosticism and atheism.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Veteran

Demons

I thought one was making me hicup......

The theological demons/fictional demons.

List of Theological Demons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_theological_demons
List of fictional demons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_demons
Christian Demonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_demons
Jewish Aggadah (Jewish oral law/lore)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_demonology

There is no Zuul or Gozer from Ghostbusters in with the fictional demons there though. There is no Gate Keeper demon Vinz Clortho nor is the 16th century Moldavian ruler and necromancer Vigo the Carpathian in there either (time to pull out my proton pack..... LOL)

Then there is the elves including the elf king and elf queen......

See also
Demonology
Christian demonology
Fallen angel
List of angels
Diabolical signature
Gehenna
Hell
Hades - Underworld
Sheol - Abode of the dead
List of legendary creatures
List of monsters
Satanism
James Blish - Black Easter and The Day after Judgement.
Hierarchy of demons
Classification of demons
Exorcism - Expelling Demons
Devil
Demons In folklore, mythology, and religion.
Names of the demons
Spiritual warfare
Goetia
Daemon (mythology)
Daeva - Zoroastrianism
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Introverted Excavator

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here, but since you posted this in the religion section I'm going to guess that you're saying these silly kinds of religiously mythological things aren't "real." Not that I believe in ghosts and demons, but I'd still say that there are many aspects of the whole of reality that you can't see, and will never see, from one perspective (yours).

Just like there are many aspects of life you'll never see if you only see through a scientific perspective (as useful as it is) where life is "actually" made up of atoms swirling through a mechanical universe.

Sorry for being so preachy lately... I just really do think it's useful in our sophisticated society to take a step back from our infantile Bible/scientific model thumping and view life (and yourselves) as a multi-faceted gem instead of dogmatically and very stupidly only looking through an evolutionist standpoint, or a dogmatically creationist standpoint.

*steps off soap box*

When you smile it is like a song and I can hear it now
Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 AM
Veteran

Demons are real. More like have existence. But it is only the reality you lend them that is the extent of their reality. Indeed it is the very dogma of particular religions that lends them this reality. Christian demons are non-existent in other cultures and vice versa. Psychology can explain them as well as any other. "The demon made me do it" isn't going to fly in any courtroom. (Well maybe - if you can get away with the twinky defense why not the demon defence? Your honor and ladies and gentlemen of the jury. My client mutilated and killed those children because a demon made him do it.) LOL

I do believe in demons however just the same. It is just that I do not believe in how they are depicted in abrahamic religions. It is very hard to separate where the subconscious leaves off and demons begin. How vulnerable you are to demons has more to do with your brain chemistry than anything any scripture says. Sane people have no reason to fear demons (or silly vampires and werewolves and the tooth fairy and other JUNK). Demons are basically your own subconscious operating on you at precise moments leading you to believe they are external entitites.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Interhuman Symbiosis

For me demons are the manifestation of unfettered animalistic desires beyond reason - they usually become demons when you deny their existence within your psyche (like out of control bad personal habbits which you refuse to acknowledge) - the more you deny them, or ignore them, the bigger (and more nastily bold) they become. Demons are real but they are personal bad habbits or instinctual drives unfettered due to denial or an unwillingness to take charge/responsibility of your poor behaviours.

Demons feed on fear and they whisper in your subconscious ear about how it would be the worst thing ever if you were caught doing what it does, it also sits on the desire button and tempts you with feel good sensations despite the potential for serious guilt and shame.

In other words - I agree with Mike.

Thucydides
Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dragon Send a message via MSN to Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon
Demons are no more real then angels or spirits.
This is something that was made up to make ancient man feel alright in his mind about the afterlife.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Interhuman Symbiosis

We are speaking in psychological terms Dragon - we aren't suggesting that demons are real and wonder about the countryside ensnaring people into the underworld. You would have a few unhealthy demons attacking you psychologically - especially the big bastard demon who whispers in your ear that you're right all the time, and that ugly brute of a demon that whispers it's ok to allow people to die if they run out of cash to pay for their heating bills - and let's not forget that horrible little creepy demon that tells you that it's totally fine to judge others but denies that you do the self same things you judge people for.

Thucydides
Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
i drop teh drama bombs

Yeah, they exist alright. I have yet to know a charismatic one, that would be the most powerful. They are interesting but you have to have a shotgun around.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Righteous

Gelf seems real, as does Giant and dwarf these races are certinly present. Frankly I'm an old fashioned sort if its not in the KJV or its revision the A.C.OTO.R.H.OT, then it likely a missspelling rather than a real entity in every case there is one certain test if it will either confirm the biblle with passion or deny it with same its real. Otherwise tis a shade, and we all know that shades are of no practicable help.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Righteous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Demons are no more real then angels or spirits.
This is something that was made up to make ancient man feel alright in his mind about the afterlife.
Trouble is mr "Butter my bread"
Having reached the afterlife we see that these chaps are all around and are ready to be called forth......have fun. I am looking forward to raiseing the dead myself...///softsword-has been sharpened-sahriah!!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:48 AM
i drop teh drama bombs

Those imaginary after life demons are also interesting, it would be cool if they are real.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Veteran

Thats right angels are also real. How could one reject one (angels) and not the other (demons)? After all, as the story goes Lucifer was a 'falllen angel'. Is Lucifer the 'chief demon'? LOL

Don't get me wrong I do believe in both but you have to realize there are things that go wrong in your brain because the brain is flesh and blood also. Schizophrenia for example you see things. Split personalities. The ancients did not know what epilipsy and seizures were. Despite all these things, both demons and angels 'exist' even if it has nothing to do with the physical reality of tables and chairs. So do ghosts but most (almost ALL) stories associated with these things are basically junk. It is a shame there are so many liars and so forth. (In 800 BC if a maiden could claim to have been raped by Zeus if she was found to be pregnant and be half believed. Today it is in vogue to talk about alien abductions......) By the way, the approximately the same number of people that believe in aliens believe in angels (Seth Shostak SETI Professor). And MOST people believe in aliens/UFO's.

Then there is the subconscious mind. Whether you know it or not you have TWO minds. One for your conscious mind and the other for your subconscious mind. The left and right cerebral hemispheres of the brain communicate with each other via the thin band of neurons called the corpus callosum connecting them. The conscious sphere is the dominant hemisphere and the subconscious subserviant to it. Somethings these hemispheres can go to war with each other. Your right hand controlled by your left hemisphere of the brain can tell your right hand to gently pull your 'significant other' to you for a kiss while your other hemisphere may be screaming 'evil bitch!!!!' and use your left hand to physically punch her lights out!!!! Yes boys and girls this is called 'alien hand' and doesn't happen very often but it does happen. (Rita Carter Mapping the Mind)
And since it does go to such extremes, it is not hard to imagine your subconscious conspiring against you with 'demons' -- if that happens to be handy to thwart your conscious desires. Like split personality.

But agiain, if you knew the sorts of things I have experienced from yoga, you could put this into perspective and in the end realize that there really is such things as demons, angels and ghosts. There is also a heaven and a hell although not as depicted in any Abrahamic scriptures and most Eastern ones either. I guess I am trying to make it clear that I was not born yesterday and simply do not know about things in neuroscience. I know about them and am here to tell you demons, angels and ghosts all exist and had you been fortunate enough to had the teachers I did you could see for yourself. But I can't help that. When you die you will find out.

The subconscious is the instinctive/animal mind. You can easily know you are in this mind if someone walks up behind you and scares you. To be scared you had to have been in your animal mind. If you were in your intellect you would have turned around and given them a look of disdain like they were a silly child.

No one thinks you are going to read some silly post on FC and believe in demons, angels or ghosts. These things have to come alive in your own experience for you to believe them. And that is exactly what yoga is about. You are taught something and then you attempt by any and all means to disprove it and given the means to attempt to experience it for yourself to verify it. If this does not happen, it is not possible for you to learn other things and in the same way if you are given a music lesson and do not practice it and come back to the teacher next week, he will just give you the same lesson over and over until you do, you cannot progress in yoga unless and until you do grasp its basics by experiencing the truth of it for yourself and being unable to dismiss it by any other explanation. This is not to be confused with logically dismissing something. It is easy to dismiss something logically. It is ALL about trying to determine if the premises are true. The logical manipulation of the premises any 6 year old can do.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubbeld View Post
Thats right angels are also real. How could one reject one (angels) and not the other (demons)? After all, as the story goes Lucifer was a 'falllen angel'. Is Lucifer the 'chief demon'?
Maybe a little differend: angels and the follen angels (devils ) are one - both kind of angels are only advisers in their own interest.
The demons are something differend - demons are destructive, also phisically.
RC church acnowledges both angeles and stops us to mix with demons. Therefore christians cannot participate in spiritual seanses for example. Interesting RC church do not specify what the demons are neithe do not name them. Some window with exorcism is very secretive, very marginal and very dengerous. I thing RC does not knew how to deal with or afraid to have official position in this matter.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:11 AM
Veteran

Well I got news for you. You don't have to participate in Seance's for none of the above. They are always there to one extent or another but your conscious mind is so noisy you don't notice them. You are so caught up in your senses and thoughts you don't even notice anything else. Believe it or not some people are trained to do otherwise. In dreams or just before you reach the REM state, you are most open to their influence but in almost everyone such influence is about zero. Should you be so lucky to be visted by angels. It is a life-changing experience. Its an alien way to talk in the west but the dream world is the astral world in Hinduism. They basically don't draw any hard lines between physical and mental reality. The West is as ignorant as it is arrogant on this matter. But there are backdoors being opened in the West because much cannot be expalined by current science OR (formal) logic. I could go much further with this but that would be pointless but this forum is full of atheists and biblers so it would useless. At present I am gathering a LIST of hypocritical notions held by the west to side step mysticism and yet employ it by other names to explain things for which have no scientific or rational explanation.

What is RC?

There is no 'official position' for LOTS of things in the west. What is the difference between NCIS's Gibbs 'gut feeling' and mysticism? No one says "Gibbs? How do you know he did not do it? Mysticism?" No. They say "Gibbs knows he didn't commit the crime because his 'gut' tells him he did not." Mysticism without calling it mysticism. That's just a simple example of what I am talking about - I can go MUCH further using popular TV shows that are the most watched shows on TV by virtue mysticism called by other names like 'profiling' for instance.

Demons for the most part are quite harmless. No one else on this forum is going to say anything even remotely close to that/would DARE to even if they did have experience with demons which I am quite sure they have not. Reminds me of the old days when I thought there might be an actual tiny percentage of the world that was not so full of __it. I say that because I know what follows to the letter after posting these things. You better believe there is a huge number of people in the world that DO believe life is a zero-sum game.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Veteran

One mans demon is another mans angel.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Russell Berg

I take a similar psychological approach to the Greek concept of 'Shades'. The memory of the deceased in other's minds, survive the death of the individual. Like shades these memories only have a fleeting existence, which lack the full facilities of substantial existence as well as fading with time.

Russell