FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Philosophy > Religion

Greetings!

Religion Discussions on religions, mysticism, and spirituality as well as opposing views such as agnosticism and atheism.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:52 AM
I see the truth!

The Hierarchy of Angels

Can anyone tell me what the Hierarchy of angels are?

I know there are nine of them, and three groups, but I do not know much more about it.

Truth is ALWAYS stranger than fiction!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2004, 02:35 AM
Veteran

Nine of what?

There is no hierarchy of angels specifically mentioned in the Christian scripture - however, some people do take some of the text to imply that such exist. There is mention of angels, and ONE archangel (Michael); Gabriel is the ONLY other angel specifically mentioned by name (and is, for that reason, sometimes also called an archangel). Michael is also called "Michael, one of the chief princes"; and that styling is also used of other men (that is, human chief princes...)

Revelation also says, "And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven."

As an aside, some have used such texts to support the idea that Michael is Jesus (most (all?) JWs believe this, for example) - they take the "his angels" in the text to imply ownership ... but the context shows their error; Michael is a leader of angels, not an owner of them... just like "the dragon and his angels" does not describe ownership, but leadership...

Also, the text speaks of "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."; and "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him"

Some have taken this to mean the things like powers, and thrones, and principalities, denote some kind of hierarchy in heaven...

As to kinds of angels, there is mention of Cherubims and Seraphims; and living beasts; some quite distinct kinds - but there is no hierarchy mentioned, nor necessarily implied, from their description.

Of course, men and churches have made much from such texts; including arranging them in some supposed spiritual ranks, like the 9 choirs (which is probably what you had in mind?)

Seraphim, Cherubim, Thrones, Dominions, Powers, Virtues, Principalities, Archangels, Angels

You will note from a careful reading that no hierarchy is actually put forth in the text, nor required by implication; it is another example of folks taking things out of context, and trying to make something out of it they would like, to satisfy their flesh... Of some it is clear that some things are those in earth, and visible - but they that twist the texts allow no such, and instead make them all 'spiritual ranks' - folly, imho...
Old 04-13-2004, 04:35 AM
Cultural Infidel

Send a message via MSN to culinarean
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust me
Can anyone tell me what the Hierarchy of angels are?

I know there are nine of them, and three groups, but I do not know much more about it.
Kolriss posted it somewhere in one of the threads. So you can check his posts for it.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:47 AM
Veteran

Is it not true that humans are of greater or lesser stature in heaven as well as angels?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:59 AM
Cultural Infidel

Send a message via MSN to culinarean
I believe that it was said to be from the Sephyr Razeal or another book not included in the OT, but which the Jews used.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:06 AM
guide

I couldn't find the thing of Kolriss's but I found one from Leouna. I might as well tell you it so that you don't have to hear from her

Seraphim
Cherubim
Thrones
Dominations
Virtues
Powers
Principalities
Archangels
Angels

I guess that is in order too. I don't really know about these myths. It is easy to search for this stuff though.

The point of my game is that all the fallen angels made their own peoples with the little power they had. Then they became the gods of those people. Darkness, Earth (neutral), and Holy types. Many cards can be used by all types (Humans and scrolls, beasts, and stuff to be used universally). The cards are unique being that the rare cards can be customized. You can save ability stickers and stuff. Many races were included like Egyptians, Japanese, Celtics and eventually every race of the ancient times. It is a very promising game. I have this stuff copyrighted! I have always been a serious dude!

copyright ©2003-2004 Sam Isami
Old 04-18-2004, 05:35 PM
The moon is always Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchforkpat
Is it not true that humans are of greater or lesser stature in heaven as well as angels?
I've often wondered about this, because of what so many people say.

If Heaven is paradise, then I'm sure if there is a difference in stature, its not like we think. Paradise is Paradise. If I have to clean up the puke of angels, I'll be quite happy there.

To me the idea of inequality and equal love don't jive well together. Can two things be different yet equal?

Just some thoughts.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:20 AM
Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchforkpat
Humans in their present sinful state are below the angels of Heaven, but those who are saved by the grace of the Living God are higher than angels. It is only humans who can know the grace of God, no angel understands this concept because if they sin against God then they are eternally condemned.

Humans have the opportunity to be redeemed, but many choose to stay unrighteous by trusting in their own strength and not in their Lord's.

God sent His one and only Son to save humans not angels.
“…for the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”
Robert Jastrow
Old 04-20-2004, 04:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen
Humans in their present sinful state are below the angels of Heaven, but those who are saved by the grace of the Living God are higher than angels. It is only humans who can know the grace of God, no angel understands this concept because if they sin against God then they are eternally condemned.

Humans have the opportunity to be redeemed, but many choose to stay unrighteous by trusting in their own strength and not in their Lord's.

God sent His one and only Son to save humans not angels.
The bible declares, in psalms:

What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:

While that can imply a hierarchy, it can also mean simply positional, that is, the angels were created in the spiritual realm, and man on the physical; the point being that man was given dominion over all creation (aside from angels and the spirit realm).

Now, it also says,

Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

And that, I guess, is what some use to imply that the elect are 'above' angels; but, again, that is not necessarily so. Being united with Christ at the time of judgement, the elect will 'judge angels' when Christ does so. I don't believe this is to say that individuals will preside as judges in court - of course, there is room for a variety of views here, lol. The bible does not (imho) strongly make claims of any spiritual hierarchy, past, present or future.

And by the way, angels understand very well the concept of sin, grace, and redemption Those not fallen experience God's grace (in preservation; the angels that have not fallen are now preserved, and cannot fall anymore), and fallen ones have even experiential knowledge of sin - but no angel has (or can have) experiential knowledge of salvation; you are correct in stating the bible declares the fallen angels are reserved unto judgement, and will not be saved/redeemed.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:23 PM
The moon is always Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asar'el
And by the way, angels understand very well the concept of sin, grace, and redemption Those not fallen experience God's grace (in preservation; the angels that have not fallen are now preserved, and cannot fall anymore), and fallen ones have even experiential knowledge of sin - but no angel has (or can have) experiential knowledge of salvation; you are correct in stating the bible declares the fallen angels are reserved unto judgement, and will not be saved/redeemed.
I always enjoy to hear good verses, thanks Asarel. Sorry for mis-spelling your name my last post

Anyways, I would like to bring up the difference between human judgement (which is not according to truth or justice) and Holy Judgement (that stemming from God ie: Truth/ Justice)

IMHO:It is said those who share the mind of Christ will judge. It also says for us not to judge, lest we be judged. The difference is of mind, by its nature in the heart. When one shares the mind of Christ, his heart rests with God. To recognize something as impure is to judge it, beware. As we judge, so to we will be judged. But fail not in proper judgement, which comes from God, in sharing the mind of Christ who is Holy. To those who are worthy, God gives the authority to judge, if one is not certain what comes from God or not, then pray.

One should never make the mistake of thinking humans are unworthy with God.(as I have done before) It is our worth through God by which God loves us, he created us and maintains us, indeed saves us. For God to find someone worthy, it means someone to suit his purpose. Pride is for God, not oneself, in true service to the Lord. Our worth is in him who created us, yet it is still worth. To say we are not worthy of God's Love is in the same sence that a house is not worthy to stand without the ground beneith it. God freely gives his love, its a matter of our acceptance. Established on God, we are his wonderful creation, GOD DOES NOT MAKE JUNK, and all he makes is of a profoundly important reason: HE DOES NOT WASTE TIME.

Here are some words to apreciate.

Regarding life and death as equal, one is not afraid.
Consider everything minor, and there are no burdens.
Perfectly clear, utterly plain, saints move beyond mundane clutter and travel on the edge of heaven and earth.
By the Grace of God who gives all things.
All Honor and Glory are his.
He who redeems us, Praise his name.
Most Holy Precious Treasure.
Supremely Worthy One.

Cheers, have a great day