FrostCloud Forums  

Go Back   FrostCloud Forums > Politics > Politics and World Events

Greetings!

Politics and World Events A place for all you liberals, conservatives, and even radicals.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Pseudo-skeptical Spanker!

Republicans trying to rewrite history.

In their quest to convince voters that America is in danger, Republicans are lying about 9/11 and baldly denying history.

....Perino started the re-write of history in November, baldly stating: "We did not have a terrorist attack on our country during President Bush's term." Matalin picked up the torch shortly after Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab set his crotch on fire, claiming that Bush "inherited the most tragic attack on our own soil in our nation's history."

Most astonishingly, former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani – who made his national political reputation on the tragedy of the 2,752 people who died from a terrorist attack in the city he led – told Americans on Friday: "We had no domestic attacks under Bush." In the wake of widespread disbelief that Giuliani would repudiate the deaths in his own city in an effort to defend an unpopular former president who presided over not one by two attacks by foreign terrorists on American soil – not including the anthrax attacks – Giuliani was forced to admit he did, indeed, remember September 11th....

(Full Article)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ional-security
"That he says the plane hit the Pentagon and he was yet to be inside the PEOC"

Cheney...
"I went down into what's call a PEOC, the Presidential Emergency Operations Center...But when I arrived there within a short order, we had word the Pentagon's been hit."
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Veteran

Good article, stundie

As an Australian, I would be much encouraged if I could suggest that only in America would such an extreme approach be even vaguely conceived of, let alone acted upon. Sadly, the people of Australia, in general, seem to be as willing to have history rewritten anytime it is convenient for the political powers, and we swallow the crap just as enthusiastically as the media representations here indicate the Americans do.

I suspect that it is actually the whole of the western world that is suffering from the same disease - what I would call the "head up arse" syndrome, or more politely put, "the inability of the community to acknowledge that 'the emperor has no clothes on'.

Look at it this way, anyone in our current societies that wants to continue to pay off his/her significant levels of debt, debt usually accumulated to excess because of the belief in the advertisers moto's of 'you deserve it' and thus resulting in profligate expenditure; must remain employed in high paying jobs. But, to stay in such employment, it is no longer good enough for someone to merely do their job well, no, they must demonstrate their company loyalty (no matter how lacking in loyalty the company is in return) by as loudly and noticeably as possible singing the praises of the company and any of its policies, no matter how stupid. This sort of thing encourages managers to take more and more stupid actions, because firstly they get praised for them, and secondly taking stupid risks was seen as resulting in great profits as long as you were amongst the first in the act. This trend thus lead to the huge financial crisis, a crisis seemingly caused by someone actually going against the trend and being sensible enough to be able to add 2 and 2 together, and asking the questions that no one previously dared to do (still, that was the rare good actions versus all the stupidity). And now, with the results of the crisis, it is harder to remain in employment due to the pressure to reduce costs and get businesses to actually have some capacity to balance their books; which of course will lead to a new lot of demonstrations of company loyalty, and due to the lack of the federal administration to actually systemically change the major financial sector, will most likely lead to a new set of stupid policy actions resulting in new crises in the future.

Does humanity have a drive for self-destruction or what?

Of course, there are significant historical trends that have built up a certain momentum - one being the atomization of society, or destruction of coherent and functional communities - which makes it very hard to encourage a positive change in our societies. In the past, there was a place for the Church (not saying it was perfect by any means), and thus a sense of community moral strength, and this encouraged communities to work together for their common interests and in some ways for the moral good. This very important aspect seems to be gone now, so people act as individuals - and individuals are no threat to the people who run the system and keep the power in their own hands.

Furthermore, there has been significant trends in education where the focus has moved from at least partially promoting free thought and the gaining of wisdom (liberal education) to merely being 'job ready' (a completely instrumental form of education). In a society where there is no time for people to be free to think for themselves, that society must end up putting its trust in the ability of the experts who advise governments. Bet even these experts have vested interests in being employed, and thus often bow to the pressure of providing the 'expert testimonial' that the government wants to hear - rather than telling the government how things are - see current debates over global warming for example.

What does all the above drivel amount to, or what am I trying to express? Basically, where you have a society that believes its own lies, and even worse, acts on them; that society is doomed. Sometime, the enevitable must happen, and disaster will hit in such a form that a the society will crumble, and a new cycle of anarchy to empire will start, leading to the next civilisation which will have its chance to bugger everything up. History is cyclical, and humanity never seems to learn its leason.

Frustrated Sigh!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Veteran

Drivel? Drivel my ass! That was insightful and well said, Tirranon.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Pseudo-skeptical Spanker!

I forgot about this thread.....

And I absolutely concur with Glennn.

Very insightful, although it will soar above the heads of certain republican leaning members who post here.
"That he says the plane hit the Pentagon and he was yet to be inside the PEOC"

Cheney...
"I went down into what's call a PEOC, the Presidential Emergency Operations Center...But when I arrived there within a short order, we had word the Pentagon's been hit."